Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode A8: Duel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Idiot
Quote:
he probably doesn't know the meaning of "friends".

EXACTLY - because TRAVIS doesn't have ANY FRIENDS!!!

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
terrible zodin
Poser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valentine wrote:
Captain Idiot
Quote:
he probably doesn't know the meaning of "friends".

EXACTLY - because TRAVIS doesn't have ANY FRIENDS!!!

how do you show the death of a friend to a man who hasn't got any
BEAST
Forum Hooligan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure you can

I just looked at your website little Zodin, its super-fantastic!!! OMFG!!!

E-THUGGING
E-PIMPING
E-BEEFING
SINCE 2002
>CarnÚll<

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Can I Just See Travis As A Real Cat Person Carnell
terrible zodin
Poser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEAST wrote:
im not sure you can

I just looked at your website little Zodin, its super-fantastic!!! OMFG!!!

u dont need to take the mick BEAST, i mean it cant be that bad 4 a 13 year old. i didn't nick anything i wrote all the HTML and php scripts myself and it took me a long time, that quiz program was mine aswell (credit to simon 4 telling me how to change things to uppercase!)
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardWho wrote:
Come on! This just a straight copy of a Star Trek episode.

Yeah,except Kirk fought a dinosaur.

Last edited by thunda on Sat May 27, 2006 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great episode this one,with strong peformances all round and some nifty direction. It has the typical Nation obsession of nuclear holocaust, but is unusual in that it's one of the rare Blake stories where magic is seen to work (Sacophogus and at a push Dawn of the Gods are the only other examples that spring to mind). The Guardian and the Keeper' powers are never explained but they speak like elemental creatures. Their power over matter and ability to appear and vanish at will plus the way they dress and speak are all strongly suggestive of classic Sorceresses

It's impossible that the woodland where the duel takes place is anywhere on the ravaged planet and as Sinofar and Giroc's powers don't extend beyond the planet's sphere of influence, the only conclusion is that the combatants have been magically transported back in time (it can't be a dreamscape as Cally say's it is the 'truth beyond question').

The wierd lighting, sharp direction and unusual peformances give Duel an unwordly, slightly trippy atmosphere unlike anything else in Season One. Even the Mutoid seems more like a vampire or zombie than a cyborg and her unresolved fate is quite tragic.

Although it's hardly an original story, it's so well done that it feels very special.

For me, along with Seek-Locate-Destroy, this is the best episode of the first series.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like this one much - too similar to other themes and sci fi , notably Trek - I just find it so boring !
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE
Quote:
I dont like this one much - too similar to other themes and sci fi , notably Trek - I just find it so boring !

Probably, due to the fact that this story is a better version of a, "STAR TREK" story called "ARENA"!!! It is one of the best of S1 stories.

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
Servalans Hair

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched this one tonight, thought it was ok, nothing special though... didn't quite get the point of the 2 planet inhabitants and where they got the special powers from
Richard1978

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From this & The Way Back fillings are still a common occurance, as both Travis & Blake have them.

Check out Superman The Movie, Treads and the Dr Who story Kinda for sci-fi bloopers involving fillings.
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valentine wrote:
RichardWho
Quote:
Come on! This just a straight copy of a Star Trek episode.

TRUE - However, this was much better than, ("KIRK" & Co's "ARENA" episode.)

Also, AGREE that it was one of, "TRAVIS I's" better, vindictive performances!!!

I have to disagree with the first part.As shallow as the writing of ARENA was,it did make sense.You had two starship captains,both out for blood,both prepared to start a war,forced to fight with the lives of their crew on the line.I didn't understand the reasoning behind Duel,Travis is only after Blake because he was ordered.Blake is fleeing Travis,he only fights him when he has to.The real issue is the Federation.What lesson were they supposed to learn? Killing is bad? Although I don't believe either one enjoys killing,both have done it before this episode and continued to do it after.They both use it as a means to accomplish their goals.Unless you can offer them a suitable alternative,I have to agree with Travis,"So this is your lesson. Pathetic."

I don't mind the lack of action,but it should have been more thought provoking.There should have been more of a debate between Blake and Travis about whether the Federation has jurisdiction over Blake and whether Blake has a right to use violence against a government he believes corrupt and oppressive.Also,there should have been more of a point made about whether either have a right to jeopardize the lives of others in pursuit of their goals.

And what lesson did Blake learn? He already showed he was incapable of killing Travis in Seek-Locate-Destroy.Whatever lesson he learned it certainly didn't stop his bloody crusade,and it didn't prevent him from snapping the neck of that Federation trooper in the next episode.Also,him sparing Travis might have had more of an impact had Jenna been killed(she could have been brought back to life later by Sinofar).

Incidently,by interferring in Blake's and Travis's battle,and then letting them both depart with the issue unresolved,Giroc and Sinofar are partly responsible for countless deaths.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Travis is only after Blake because he is ordered"

Well, yes, but the man also has a grade A grudge so rather than a simple duty it's all about revenge. And don't forget Travis *is* a killer, in an SS kind of way. He might not have personally butchered 1400 civilians, but he gave the orders and let's not forget the bloke he had used for a bio-weapon test.
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janov Seldon wrote:
"Travis is only after Blake because he is ordered"

Well, yes, but the man also has a grade A grudge so rather than a simple duty it's all about revenge. And don't forget Travis *is* a killer, in an SS kind of way. He might not have personally butchered 1400 civilians, but he gave the orders and let's not forget the bloke he had used for a bio-weapon test.

I'm not trying to paint Travis as a nice guy,because he's not.Travis is a soldier in the old school sense,first,last,and always.You give him an order and he carries it out,but he does it his way.He's the type of person who believes the ends justify the means.Putting him in a duel with his target and expecting him to come to this great insight that killing is wrong is sheer nonsense.In order for Travis to conclude that killing is wrong he would first have to question his military training,which would mean questioning his whole life.That would have made the story better,but that's not what the writers intended.Which is why I think this episode is a bit overrated.

Is Travis a killer? Debatable.Most soldiers in war are killers,they're just not murderers.There's a legal distinction.That's another element that the story glossed over.And Blake,is he a killer? A murderer? Like I said in my other post,Blake certainly had no problem snapping the neck (how'd he learn how to do that?) of that trooper in the next episode.This could have distinguished itself from Arena if during the lull in the action both characters got a chance to give voice to their convictions and commitment to their cause.The way the episode came across was like two powerful aliens out to amuse themselves.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that Blake is right either - snapping the neck of that Trooper in Avalon is not exactly pleasant - who was that trooper? Was he a conscript? A Delta Grade who enlisted to escape the conditions? In which case Blake is killing the very people he is supposedly trying to free.

But this is the point of the series. It works on many levels and there are many shades of grey in the actions of many of the participants, especially our "heroes". It makes you THINK. And that is never a bad thing.

I'm not entirely sure Travis is an old school soldier either, certainly not judging by the reaction of Rai in S-L-D:

"The man's a butcher!"

Going by that reaction, I'd say that there are many serving with Space Command that are more "proper" soldiers than the type of soldier that Travis is. My own opinion is that Travis is more tof a new breed under Servalan, her SS as opposed to the Wermacht of Space Command.

Yeah, Duel is probably over rated but it doesn't matter. As long as the viewer is prepared to question, to think about what they have seen, then it's all good.
[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: