Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode D4 :Stardrive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of like Hell's Angels meets Punk Rockers and morphs into the Space Rats from Hell
Think there was several vintage Vila quotes in that episode if i remember right?
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BabylonRebel wrote:
white afro in space wrote:
hobgoblin wrote:
They are just hoons but no reason for their behaviour is ever explored.

Perhaps they ARE just hoons for no reason. That's rather prescient, don't you think?

Kind of like the S3/4 crew. Who, without Blake, were pretty muchRebels without a cause.

This episide is a bit like Gold in that there are no characters who could be said to hold any sort of moral high ground. In this they could be seen as reflecting the more cynical tone of much 80's SF (Eric Saward's Doctor Who stories are another example of this sort of thing). However, in Gold it feels like the ruthlessness of the characters is deliberately drawn into the open, whearas in Stardrive it feels more like the result of lazy writing. Even killing Plaxton seems more like a convenient way of bumping of the last surplus character than anything else.

Gold has a neat sting in the tail, as Avon's greed leads him to make his enemy rich. There are no such clever twists in Stardrive sadly.
terrible zodin
Poser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I became very bored whilst watching this episode i must say.. and stopped listening around the time when plaxton was being taken up to the ship.. then started when she died.. so i haven't got a clue what was going on there.

yes.. i thought that they were basically supposed to be the hells angels of the future... people will always love speed.. so there is no justification needed for why a cult of speeding was formed.

i thought that the idea behind the episode was good (a scientist developing a super fast drive for a bunch of irresponsible people.. and the crew want to nick it) but unfortunately the idea was not well developed into a script.. let alone a fully made episode.

overall.. ok to watch, i'd watch it again a couple of times:

5/10
hobgoblin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Cocky in that this is an episode in which there are no characters of morality. THis also indicates the trend that would crystallise in Firefly two decades later.

From the crew's point of view, yes they would be thugs without reason however, we are given no real perspective or insight into the Space Rats at all. They are thus one-dimensional, unusual of B7, in which, previously even minor characters were quite well-developed. THis is perhaps what makes it sucha shallow and unsatisfying episode.

The idea of an ancient earth cult is cliched and poorly executed here. We already knwo from Bounty that much twentieth-cnetury history was destoryed by some apocalyptuic event and that only fragments survive. Did the founder of the Space Rats manage to obtain some radiation-drenchhed and charred copies of Anarchy in the UK and James Dean/Marlon Brando DVDs and think they were items of religious veneration?

Plaxton is also a problem. It is fine to make her a morally flawed character but the exposition of her background is so poor and hte ending so contrived that nothing seems to work and there is little emotional impact from her death,other than a shocking insight into how ruthless (and possibly insance) Avon has become. Of course, this evidence grows rapidly in his mad laugh in Gold, attempt to kill Vila and giggling "All you need is someone rational" line in Blake. That is the sole redeeming feature of this episode.
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't see too much difference between the Space Rats and the B7 crew.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It *IS* a Jim Follet episode - wasn't Dawn of The Gods one of his too?
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janov Seldon wrote:
It *IS* a Jim Follet episode - wasn't Dawn of The Gods one of his too?

Yes it was.

Follet's work outside of B7 seems to be fairly well regarded, though I've never encountered any of it.
inge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobgoblin said:
Quote:

ruthless (and possibly insance) Avon has become. Of course, this evidence grows rapidly in his mad laugh in Gold, attempt to kill Vila and giggling "All you need is someone rational" line in Blake.

Actually I don't think any of the crew were operating with a full deck by the end of S4.
Vila had almost drunk Xenon Base dry,
Tarrant was falling in love with every female that crosses his path,
Dayna was obsessed with killing Servalan and frustrated because she hadn't suceeded.
Soolin was so desperate for something (or someone) to hold onto that she followed Avon to Gauda Prime, knowing exactly what that planet was like.
Not exactly rational.
dave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From the crew's point of view, yes they would be thugs without reason however, we are given no real perspective or insight into the Space Rats at all. They are thus one-dimensional, unusual of B7, in which, previously even minor characters were quite well-developed. THis is perhaps what makes it sucha shallow and unsatisfying episode.

The "leader" of the Space Rats was an interesting character, however he was never properly explored. Had his motives and how he came to lead the rats been taken a bit further it could have made the episode more interesting.

The Space Rats themselves could then remain 2d as they're just being used by him.

Quote:
The idea of an ancient earth cult is cliched and poorly executed here. We already knwo from Bounty that much twentieth-cnetury history was destoryed by some apocalyptuic event and that only fragments survive. Did the founder of the Space Rats manage to obtain some radiation-drenchhed and charred copies of Anarchy in the UK and James Dean/Marlon Brando DVDs and think they were items of religious veneration?

I think you're a little unfair here. Obviously people survived whatever apocalypse occurred and these people would all of had their own ideas and memories.

Much post-apocalyptic fiction features street gangs and such out of control. The Space Rats could easily have evolved from such a scenario.
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on Dr. Plaxton was that she was part of the old Servalan regime and once it fell and those loyal to it were being "purged",she decided to make a quick exit.She probably made a deal with Atlan that included escape for her and her assistant to a safe planet and providing resources for her to continue her work in exchange the Space Rats would be the means for her prototypes to be tested.It appeared she had a wedding ring on so possibly she lost her family and her work was the only thing she had to live for.Napier the assistant didn't really serve much purpose and it might have been better not to include him in the story and devote more time to developing her character.

My take on Atlan was that he was probably ex-Federation,possibly military,based on his knowledge and the way he handled Tarrant,Soolin,and Avon.Not as colorful as Bayban but he had potential,needed more development also.But something about him kept reminding me of Bela Lugosi.

I think if they had better special effects parts of the episode would have been more believable.The "chase" scene would have been better if they were on Star Wars type hoover cycles that actually looked like they were going fast.

Interesting that Dayna was able to think quicker than Vila when captured.
hobgoblin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
Quote:

The "leader" of the Space Rats was an interesting character, however he was never properly explored. Had his motives and how he came to lead the rats been taken a bit further it could have made the episode more interesting.

The Space Rats themselves could then remain 2d as they're just being used by him.

Quote:

I think you're a little unfair here. Obviously people survived whatever apocalypse occurred and these people would all of had their own ideas and memories.

Much post-apocalyptic fiction features street gangs and such out of control. The Space Rats could easily have evolved from such a scenario.

Not trying to be unfair. I just think the idea of objects surviving a war and then being misinterpreted as religously significant is better hanled by Canticle for Leibowitz. Mad Max was released in 1979, so perhaps the idea of anarchic gangs was influencing the script-writer here, too.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Atlan wasn't a Space Rat, then what the hell was he? Any ideas?
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy
Quote:
If Atlan wasn't a Space Rat, then what the hell was he? Any ideas?

A VAMPIRE

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things about the characters I noticed this episode:
Avon seems to have forgotten that warning he gave to Tarrant in City at the Edge of the World about how valuable a good thief is when he uses Vila and Dayna as decoys.
Did he send Dayna with Vila as payback for her being rude to him in the beginning of the episode?
Soolin is kept in the dark just like in Orbit about their plans. When she says "So. You've let Dayna and Vila walk into a trap," Tarrant looks like he has indigestion. I guess that comes from letting your best and maybe only friend be used as a diversion. I belive Soolin now has the measure of both men and understands how ruthless they can be which explains why in Blake she wondered if Avon used her as bait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: