Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode D4 :Stardrive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunda

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy wrote:

It could be argued that this is the point at which B7 ceases to be a series about a rebellion against a corrupt regime and becomes a story of wanted criminals doing whatever is expedient to survive. Atlan's ambition to control the space routes is no worse than Avon's desire for the stardrive to ensure he remains safe from the Federation. We can be pretty sure that he will abuse the advantage it gives him.

I think their downfall started right after Blake went missing.Servalan realized it in Volcano and summed it up best.

SERVALAN "Without Blake the Liberator's no immediate threat to our plans."

MUTOID "No, Madam President."

SERVALAN "Well the crew have no political ambitions."

MUTOID "They are merely criminals."

SERVALAN "So they'll keep. Until the rule of law has been restored. Until my rule of law has been restored."

Ensor13

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Episode D4 :Stardrive Reply with quote

Sela wrote:
Why does everone hate this one so much? I like this one and is one of the best in S4.

Indeed, It didn't need a good story, the set up was simple, the locales good - it has flaws to be sure - but an enjoyable episode

especially after the ridiculously choreography in the fights at the end of 'Traitor'
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think its to do with why would the Federation allow such an obvious bunch of anti social punks to thrive like that ?
Servalans Hair

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this gets an unfair bashing! Theres some much worse episodes than this, sarcophagus is still my last favourite...
Great ending - could see Avon getting a bit mad-eyed but didnt think he'd ever be quite so ruthless!
jdarwent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who?

Or I would have preferred 'Dr Who?'
inge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blakescrewe said:
Quote:

Think its to do with why would the Federation allow such an obvious bunch of anti social punks to thrive like that ?

The Federation didn't yet have the resources to do anything about the Space Rats. It would have made a more interesting storyline if both Sleer and Avon attempted to steal the StarDrive at the same time.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inge wrote:
Blakescrewe said:
Quote:

The Federation didn't yet have the resources to do anything about the Space Rats. It would have made a more interesting storyline if both Sleer and Avon attempted to steal the StarDrive at the same time.

Especially for the novelty value of a Sleer episode where she wasn't the most outrageously dressed!! Unless they tried to give Jackie a mohican!!
inge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's funny! I can just imagine Servie trying to outdo the Space Rats for outrageousness.
terrible zodin
Poser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol... watched this for the first time yesterday..

the space rats are an f-ing joke.
hobgoblin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Servalans Hair wrote:
I think this gets an unfair bashing! Theres some much worse episodes than this, sarcophagus is still my last favourite...
Great ending - could see Avon getting a bit mad-eyed but didnt think he'd ever be quite so ruthless!

The ending is the only redeeming feature as it develops Avon's slide into madness. Definitely the worst episode of Season 4, as Animals looks like a masterpiece afterwards. Why even both trying to further equip Scorpio? Surely Orac could find a way to hijack a Federation pursuit ship with a little more firepower?

The Space Rats are dreadful; a mixture of punks and bikies. Perhaps meant to be a commentary on the disillusionment with Thatcher's Britain and the rise of Johnny Rotten and friends but the execution is dire and there is no social commentary at all. They are just hoons but no reason for their behaviour is ever explored.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobgoblin wrote:
They are just hoons but no reason for their behaviour is ever explored.

Perhaps they ARE just hoons for no reason. That's rather prescient, don't you think?
hobgoblin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought crossed my mind when I was writing the above. We have increasing numbers of hoons near where I live

The answer is, though, is no. Punks were rebelling against economic despiar in Britain. OTher hooning is caused by peer pressure, rebelliousness, bad role models and all of the usual culprits. The story lacks any examination of these. Why is there a cult around speeding? Is it simply because it was outlawed that it became attractive? Everything has a chain of cause and effect, a line through the pattern of infinity...
BabylonRebel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

white afro in space wrote:
hobgoblin wrote:
They are just hoons but no reason for their behaviour is ever explored.

Perhaps they ARE just hoons for no reason. That's rather prescient, don't you think?

Kind of like the S3/4 crew. Who, without Blake, were pretty muchRebels without a cause.
Servalans Hair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it does seem like all theyre doing in season 4 is stealing things...
white afro in space

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, there was a reference made to the Space Rats stemming from an ancient earth sect of unbelievable vicousness. That's something to be going on with at least. Surely everything that the crew encounters doesn't need to be explained in the smallest detail, life is like that now and then.

If we are mostly taking the crew's view of the adventure, and the crew don't know a lot about the Space Rats, then seeing the Space Rats as mindless yobs makes some kind of sense because that is how the crew would have perceived it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: