Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Season 2 DVD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking forward to having these for crimbo, but let's hope the wait is worth it. I know if Mark's involved things will be fine.
cherbert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaz wrote:
I know if Mark's involved things will be fine.

What!?!?!?

It's his company's fault we had all the problems with the Series 1 release!!! And I am still angry over his wall of silence on the matter.
Rita D'Orac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaz wrote:
I was looking forward to having these for crimbo, but let's hope the wait is worth it. I know if Mark's involved things will be fine.

Yet more waiting for the B7 DVDs is deeply frustrating! I second your confidence is Mark and his company KAZ. Dysfunction have come through with a lot of other good stuff in addition to B7. Delays such as these are rarely down to authoring issues as this part of it has to be completed so far in advance of everything else.

cherbert wrote:
Kaz wrote:

What!?!?!?

It's his company's fault we had all the problems with the Series 1 release!!! And I am still angry over his wall of silence on the matter.

I can't believe this old chestnut is still kicking around! Do you really expect one individual to risk losing his livlihood just to satisfy your personal curiosity over exactly which stage failed to work as planned in the multitude of processes required to put a DVD onto the shelves at HMV!?

Everyone involved in that lengthy process are likely to have been under the same contractual obligation not to reveal commercially sensitive information. This isn't some deep dark secret obligation put there just to stop us finding out about the B7 DVDs, it is completely commonplace throughout all such commercial undertakings.

Various people involved in the B7 DVDs post here from time to time, but it is a little unreasonalbe to expect them to shrug of their professional obligations so carelessly. I strongly doubt that you or anybody else would do something that risked your long term career for an issue as trivial as a fault impacting a small minority of DVD players...
Kaz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[cherbert wrote:
Kaz wrote:

What!?!?!?

It's his company's fault we had all the problems with the Series 1 release!!! And I am still angry over his wall of silence on the matter. ]

the problems were nothing to do with mark or his company, try the dear auntie beeb.

[/quote]
cherbert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaz wrote:
the problems were nothing to do with mark or his company, try the dear auntie beeb.

Yes they were !

The Blakes 7 Series 1 DVD's were encoded using DVD Studio Pro on the Mac - I am pretty sure Mark himself admitted to there being a bug with the software at one point.

So please don't try and tell me the BBC are to blame - they deserve a lot of slack don't get me wrong but they really cannot be held responsible for this when they contracted the work out to the Dysfunction Group who should take full responsibility for the encoding and testing processes.

Chris

Last edited by cherbert on Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
cherbert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rita D'Orac wrote:
...an issue as trivial as a fault impacting a small minority of DVD players...

Was this statement in your email somekind of joke?
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bulk of the dealys in the season one release were caused by contractual problems between the BBC and B7E and were nothing to do with Mark and Dysfunction.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cherbert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems we may be at cross wires here..

Some of us are talking about contract delays and I'm talking about the faults with the DVD.

Apologies all round if people are mainly referring to the delays in initial release.

Chris
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherbert wrote:
Rita D'Orac wrote:

Most DVD players played the original DVDs without problem. So Rita's statement was accurate.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rita D'Orac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherbert wrote:
Kaz wrote:

Yes they were !

The Blakes 7 Series 1 DVD's were encoded using DVD Studio Pro on the Mac - I am pretty sure Mark himself admitted to there being a bug with the software at one point.

So please don't try and tell me the BBC are to blame - they deserve a lot of slack don't get me wrong but they really cannot be held responsible for this when they contracted the work out to the Dysfunction Group who should take full responsibility for the encoding and testing processes.

Chris

What makes you think that the Dysfunction Group have not taken full responsibility for the encoding and testing process? - their responsibility is to their employer, not to you personally! Unless you are the person who hired them, I don't see how you can possibly say whether they did or did not fulfill their obligations.

It is the BBC who have quite rightly accepted responsibility for releasing a corrected set. That doesn't give us any clue whatsoever as to whether it was Dysfunction, B7E, the BBC or even the tea lady who was at fault.

I do have to wonder why you and a couple of other individuals are continually bad mouthing some of the people involved in producing the B7 DVDs - sour grapes maybe...?
Rita D'Orac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherbert wrote:
Rita D'Orac wrote:

I do believe that it was the small list of specific players that couldn't play the DVD's correctly that were listed, not the huge number of players that could...

My message was a post on a publicly viewable forum btw, not an email.
cherbert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rita D'Orac wrote:
What makes you think that the Dysfunction Group have not taken full responsibility for the encoding and testing process? - their responsibility is to their employer, not to you personally! Unless you are the person who hired them, I don't see how you can possibly say whether they did or did not fulfill their obligations.

It is the BBC who have quite rightly accepted responsibility for releasing a corrected set. That doesn't give us any clue whatsoever as to whether it was Dysfunction, B7E, the BBC or even the tea lady who was at fault.

I do have to wonder why you and a couple of other individuals are continually bad mouthing some of the people involved in producing the B7 DVDs - sour grapes maybe...?

I am not bad mouthing anyone - I am simply stating facts that some of you people seem to have forgotten (or want to forget).

Mark from Dysfunction openly admitted to the problem being with their software - and thats about the time he was given an obvious gagging order by the BBC and we never saw him again.

Unfortunaly it would seem most of this evidence was lost when the original message boards crashed.

I don't want us to keep going on about this - the facts are well known and I refuse to accept the ridiculous statements that the initial fault only affected a small number of players - this is simply not true.

But since this is old stuff I'm digging up here lets just agree to disagree and look forward to the Series 2 boxset if and when it turns up.
Rita D'Orac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherbert wrote:
I am not bad mouthing anyone - I am simply stating facts that some of you people seem to have forgotten (or want to forget).

Mark from Dysfunction openly admitted to the problem being with their software - and thats about the time he was given an obvious gagging order by the BBC and we never saw him again.

Unfortunaly it would seem most of this evidence was lost when the original message boards crashed.

I don't want us to keep going on about this - the facts are well known and I refuse to accept the ridiculous statements that the initial fault only affected a small number of players - this is simply not true.

But since this is old stuff I'm digging up here lets just agree to disagree and look forward to the Series 2 boxset if and when it turns up.

It's all very well saying you are simply stating facts - but calling a statement a "fact" does not make it one! I don't recall any statement from any of the companies involved regarding whose fault it was, but if you find one, I'll be happy to stand corrected on this matter. As to this "evidence" where Mark (or anyone else) "openly admitted to the problem being with their software" I guess I and the rest of the forum must have been snoozing at the time! It is libelous to put words in people's mouth you know...

I can support my assertions about the small number of DVD players quite easily - how many different DVD players do you suppose there are in the UK? How many were on the list of affected DVD players issues by the BBC? It's simple maths that makes me comfortable in stating that the affected DVD players listed are a small minority! If you have a nice long list of players, by all means publish it and I will be happy to agree with you...

Accept or don't accept what you want, but personally I will not accept your unsubstantiated claims as facts without challenging them.
sutekh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The faults on the DVDs were inItiailly down to Dysfunctional.
The guy (Mark??) was posting here until the sh*t hit the fan then promptly vanished
I'm amazed that this has happened yet again on such a big selling title.
With regards to the faulty season one discs - if you look across the many forums - many, many people had problems playing them (including myself sadly) so this wasn't a small, isolated problem.
It was a complete disaster.
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The delaly to the season two DVDs is again down to political wranglings and not a technical problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: