Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Blake's 7 on E-bay
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BEAST
Forum Hooligan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaston_Iago wrote:

By the way, BEAST don't knock something that you haven't read - that's hardly fair criticism of something, is it?"

true... true...

i will not attempt to make a criticism of it then. It just does'nt intrest me.

E-THUGGING
E-PIMPING
E-BEEFING
SINCE 2002
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only bought Afterlife again, to replace the original copy that I lost in a fire last year - not to read as, it's pathetic to put it politely.

By the way, "TREVOR HOYLE" wrote thrre "B7" novels based on episodes from the series - so they aren't that good, either but, certainly better than Afterlife.

They are: Blake's 7 - Project Avalon and, Scorpio Attack - all now out of print so, finding them on Ebay, is your best bet.

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
Turnidus
Demon Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEAST - there is also a new book published only last year called Liberation, the Unofficial and Unauthorised Guide to Blake's 7 by Alan Stevens and Fiona Moore. This is not a novel, but more an episode by episode guide with notes about the filming, and the authors' take on the characterisations (not all of which I agree with). It also gives cast lists and original broadcasting dates, so if this sort of thing interests you it might be worth looking at.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few words in defence of fan fiction and slash too! As a commercial writer and editor I claim to know a bit about what it takes to make a piece of writing half-way decent - and lots of the fan fiction I've read is considerably better than decent - good characterisation, relalistic dialouge, interesting plotting and plenty of atmosphere. I've read fan fiction that made me cry - the highest compliment I can give a piece of art.
Of course there's stuff which I don't like, which isn't well written, which doesn't feel true to the characters - but reading and writing and sharing fan fiction is valid - and fun - after all we only have 52 episodes and a few other bits and pieces and I need more narrative than that to keep me going!
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast - so Blake's 7 should be left to the pros, eh? Having watched the sheer awfulness of The Keeper, Dawn of the Gods, Moloch, Ultraworld, Animals, Stardrive and several other "professionally written" episodes, I think I can do a damn sight better, and by stating that "fan fiction is all sh*te" you are slandering a lot of superb writers.

One of the greatest SF writers, Isaac Asimov, started out by writing his own stories to amuse himself. Are you saying that he shouldn't have done so?

Try having a go yourself before slagging the efforts of others. Perhaps it's not so much the fan fiction that is bad, but your own abilities?

And as for B7E banning fan fiction - HA! I laugh at their efforts.
BEAST
Forum Hooligan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) so Blake's 7 should be left to the pros, eh? IN MY OPINION - YES

2) I think I can do a damn sight better - GOOD FOR YOU

3) and by stating that "fan fiction is all sh*te" you are slandering a lot of superb writers. IM PRETTY SURE I NEVER SAID THAT

4) One of the greatest SF writers, Isaac Asimov, started out by writing his own stories to amuse himself. Are you saying that he shouldn't have done so? NO. I AM SIMPLY SAYING THAT B7 (THE ONLY SCI FI IM INTRESTED IN) FAN FICTION DOES NOT INTREST ME. AND AS FOR ISAAC'S START OUT... IM SURE THERE ARE NOT MANY OTHER WAYS TO GO ABOUT IT REALLY.

5) Try having a go yourself before slagging the efforts of others. Perhaps it's not so much the fan fiction that is bad, but your own abilities? I ADMIT THAT I COULD NOT WRITE A DECENT B7 SCRIPT. HOWEVER I AM TALENTED IN OTHER AREAS SO I WILL TAKE THAT COMMENT ON THE CHIN. FOR NOW.

6) And as for B7E banning fan fiction - HA! I laugh at their efforts. I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT

I HOPE YOU DONT PERCIEVE MY COMMENTS AS OFFENCIVE. I AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE WITH SCI FI FANS. I JUST LOVE BLAKES7. OKAY?

E-THUGGING
E-PIMPING
E-BEEFING
SINCE 2002
CJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to shout Beast...I'm hearing you fine...

But what I am interested in...are B7E trying to ban fan-fiction? What do people know? I know that J.K Rowling tried to ban Harry fanfic (hehehehe) but couldn't. Thoughts anyone - give me a lead and i'll scoot off and follow it up - censorship gives me a headache.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the fact that Blake's 7 - and indeed, many other SF series - has influenced and inspired people to such an extent that they would want to write their own take on it make fanfic something that should be cherished?
Being able to inspire people is a gift that should be cherished. I know from experience that it gives a person a massive high when they know they've inspired someone else to write, create, whatever. One of my own alternate fanzines inspired a guy in Australia to write an entire book - The Alternate RAAF and FAA which I was immensely pleased with. The fact that I did the design and production work on it as well helped though.

Whether you enjoy reading the fiction itself is neither here nor there, but you have to agree that something that inspires people to do something of their own in a day and age where far too many people just sit back and passively consume has to be a good thing.
CJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here Here Janov!

My thoughts exactly - except put so much better...

I've almost finished my first fanfic attempt...hands up for beta readers...
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a spin. PM me and I'll send my email address. And I'll email you some of my own. Fair swap? And even if I do say so myself, the first episode of my PGP has gone down quite well with those who've read it.

Valentine, I apologise for not getting round to reading your stories yet. I've been too busy trying to finish various models off for a show. That flipping XB70 Valkyrie took two full cans of Halfords white paint.
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me recently writing "B7" fan fic helped relieve stress after the fire I had last year. I'd not written any in ages and, found some old stuff I'd written and, re-reading it got me in the mood for writing again.

I like writing to please myself and, IF other's that I've sent stuff to like it, that's fine - too !!!

Like "Janov" I'll e-mail my stories to any members on here who want to read them.

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
CJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janov, you should have my email by now...

Valentine - I'll PM you with my email - I'd really like to read more
Joolz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
Some fan fiction that I have had the misfortune to read was sheer cr*p , and an insult to B7 . Some of that so - called adult fiction is a disgrace , and it is one thing that I hope B7E WILL GET AROUND TO BANNING ! .

Let me guess, some people perhaps write things that aren't to your taste? You of course have a right to your opinion, as do the rest of us. People write what they do for their own reasons and people read what they do for thier own reasons. Standing in judgement of others is not very productive. If you don't like it, just don't read it. Is that so hard? This is one 'hack' who won't mind if you don't read my stuff!

On the subject of adult fiction, from what I've seen so far in the B7 fandom (and correct me if I'm wrong), I'm very impressed with how relatively non-judgemental B7 fans are. In other fandoms people line up behind their preferred pairings and will brook no mention of any other. It seems like here, while people may have preferred pairings, in general most people are fairly accepting. Okay, to be blunt, there's an acceptance of anyone and Avon. Avon Avon and a man, Avon and a woman, humans, aliens, it doesn't matter. Congratulations on being a non-prejudiced fandom! That should win an award!
jdarwent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valentine wrote:
I got Afterlife recently and, out bid the current highest bidder for it - so it doesn't surprise me how much some will pay for certain "B7" items. (I paid just over 8 including postage for it!!!)

You and I got a bargain - I think I paid about 6 for my copy. This copy of the book went for 25.50!
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDarwent
Quote:
You and I got a bargain - I think I paid about 6 for my copy. This copy of the book went for 25.50!

Guess, we did!!!

Some "B7" FAN with more money than, sense to pay that amount for Afterlife!!!

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 2 of 54

Jump to: