Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode C9: SARCOPHAGUS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor Who is a SF/fairy tale combination in a way. The 'science' operates
pretty much like science (especially stactic electricity and mercury for some reason) and there are lots of aliens like Sutekh, Eldrad, Fenric etc who behave more like characters from fantasy/horror than SF characters. Sacophogus works to quite similar rules.
RichardWho

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the closes Dr. Who episiode to Sarcophagus is "The Daemons", though I guess "Pyramids of Mars" has some similarities too.
lfalex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardWho wrote:
I'm with Steve on this one. Basically this is a completely irrelevant story which just got slotted in to B7.

Each season had one or two "Stand Alone" stories but I think S3 had too many. As well as "Sarcophagus" we also had "Dawn of the Gods" and "Ultraworld" as stand alones. Even "City at the Edge of the World" was a bit peripheral though I like that episode.

This is a valid criticism of S3. I'd never really noticed it before!
It does damage the season's continuity a bit.
That said, I rather like some of the diversions that the aforementioned episodes present.
Particularly Sarcophagus, even if it is a bit "Space 1999"
Ron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a good idea for the alien's voice to be Callys only after it assumes her form. Who spoke the alien's part before it assumed her form?
Kally

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan is credited as the Alien for the whole episode. Will have to watch it again and listern to how the voice changes... but from memory I don't recall the voic changing that much !

This is an episode you'll never convince someone to like.
Its my out right favourite for many of the reasons which have been stated here over the last couple of years.

"May you die alone and silent ! "
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Sarcophagus because I'd reached that one second time round and have ended up watching it twice this time which is serious.

Of course what the alien wants all along is that, as it says, “my voice print is now the same as Cally's”. So it has it’s own voice and it is noticeable. When it telepathically speaks to Cally, has a low, slow and very ‘correct English’ voice perhaps because, as it tells Tarrant later, it has managed to “know their language”. After it aquires Cally’s form there’s still a remnant of it’s own voice. The question is does anyone know for sure that Jan Chappell also speaks the telepathic part? Having listened to the two parts one after another it sounds to me like someone else – or else Jan Chappell was very good at making the aliens own voice.

This episode is intriguing me! And hearing the song reminds me of an unusual Doctor Who story that not everybody likes ‘The Gunfighters’.

Last edited by Ron on Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
dave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to watch it again but my memory suggests Jan did it all. The radiophonic workshop may have assisted to make her sound different.
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I like you, Avon. You're stronger than the rest."
Avon probably always had a strong mind but I'm betting that after Space Fall he started doing mental exercises, like meditation, self hypnosis, etc, to ensure he would never succomb to mind control again.
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't occur to me until recently but Sarcophagus is very similar to the Illyria storyline from the Angel tv series. The sarcophagus, the gem, the all-powerful queen trying to find her world, the possession, the romance, and other things. I know Joss Whedon is a fan of B7, I wonder if he got the idea for his character and plot from this episode.
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
"I like you, Avon. You're stronger than the rest."
Avon probably always had a strong mind but I'm betting that after Space Fall he started doing mental exercises, like meditation, self hypnosis, etc, to ensure he would never succomb to mind control again.

Heh, interesting point!
I bet it would be particularly irritating for Avon that when it came to seeing through the mind control, Blake succeeded where he failed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: