Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode C8: RUMOURS OF DEATH!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luskentyre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just re-watched this episode and it got me thinking. Watching it for the first time, would you immediately realise that Sula was Anne Grant?

I guess that most TV loses something on a repeat viewing since we know what's coming and the surprises (that are part of the drama) are lost.

I loved the scene with Servalan chained up. "It's an old wall Avon, it waits. I just hope you don't die before you reach it" - classic line!
hobgoblin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the irony: Avon seeks Anna's murderer only to become her killer himslef and face "the old wall" that has wiated for him.

Avon's pain at loss is a paralel to that of Servalan's in Sand when she discusses her own betrayal by her lover.

I have a problem with the Earth setting though; where is the domed city? WHy are people outside?
dave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you listen closely you will hear that the mansion was ordered to be rebuilt by (and for) the president. Hence it was simply one of Servalan's excesses.

The cities are for citizens and by keeping them drugged up in the dome its easier to keep them under control. The rulers go as they please.
hobgoblin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the fear of going "outside?" Surely once the citizens hear the president has a manor outside... Maybe we can just blame the sedation!
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobgoblin wrote:
What about the fear of going "outside?" Surely once the citizens hear the president has a manor outside... Maybe we can just blame the sedation!

As, we see from the very first episode "THE WAY BACK" going outside was as stated a Catagory 4 Offence and, so we don't really know WHY they weren't supposed to go outside the Domes.

Didn't seem to be dangerous when went outside in the first episode or, Avon and, the other's did the same outside Residence 1. So, guess it was just the Federation wanting to keep a tight control on the masses by not wanting them to venture outside at any costs!!!

"Well now," - Having just watched this episode before, teleporting here to my usualy library computer - thanks to my NEW portable DVD player - it's STIIL one of the best "B7" episodes of all 4 Seasons!!!

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
SpaceCommanderTravis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everybody else. One of the best eps of B7 and great back story for Avon to why is character is like it is. I thought John Bryant was great as Shrinker too
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpaceCommanderTravis
Quote:
I agree with everybody else. One of the best eps of B7 and great back story for Avon to why is character is like it is. I thought John Bryant was great as Shrinker too

Yes Smiley "SHRINKER" got his just reward too, didn't he!!!

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avon and Shrinker would have mada a good team -don`t you think ?
ziggysawdust

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ths can be seen as the real beginning of Avon's descent into madness obviously culminating in 'Blake', but supremely evident in 'Terminal' and 'Orbit', 'Stardrive' and bits and pieces all over the ensuing episodes. His hold on reality takes a huge blow and there can even be a paralell drawn to Blake's conditioning in the latter part of this season, with Anna not being real, Blake not being real in 'Terminal' and his whole sense of purpose post-Blake being 'something else to chase' (not to mention getting his brain swapped in 'Ultraworld' and having the LIberator captured three times by Federation!)

In seasons two and three we have a cynical and perhaps very emotionally hurt man (over Anna's 'death') but later from this episode this man is unstable, NOBODY can deny that the falsity of his perceived dead lover has sent him into a slow spiral.
hobgoblin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is like a self-fulfilling prophecy, isn't it? Avon trusts no one (except Anna and, despite inner conflict, Blake). He is paranoid and time and time again he is found to be correct in not being able to trust. Everyone, including Tynus and Keiller, betray him. Anna (and the Blake of Terminal) are illusions. Perhaps there is a parallel here to his statement that wealth is the only reality.

Servalan tries to win his confidence. He, of course, is not seduced like some other characters and is found to be correct as she also betrays him. Likewise, eh witnesses the betrayal of Blake by Travis in Hostage and of Le Grande in Voice from the Past. Cally, the only person with whom he could possibly form a romantic attachment after Anna, is someone who grew up in a culture of trust, a culture as alien to Avon as Cally's biological traits such as telepathy. However, she too fulfils Avon's prophecy of having a short life expectancy, as, indeed, fo her people.

Of course, the ultimate irony is that Avon should trust Blake in the end but through his madness, he misjudges the situation and falls into paranoia yet again, his instincts failing this once. Indeed, it is his instincts that have betrayed him, not Blake.
boroboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobgoblin wrote:
It is like a self-fulfilling prophecy, isn't it? Avon trusts no one (except Anna and, despite inner conflict, Blake). He is paranoid and time and time again he is found to be correct in not being able to trust. Everyone, including Tynus and Keiller, betray him. Anna (and the Blake of Terminal) are illusions. Perhaps there is a parallel here to his statement that wealth is the only reality.

It gets even worse - in Gold Avon finds out that wealth cannot also be pretty illusory.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the most important episode of the third season in that it's central to the ongoing devellopment of Avon and Servalan and also shows the new position of the Federation as a diminished and weakened empire torn apart by internal squabling.

The events we see hear would be impossible at any time prior to Aftermath. When Blake wanted to return to Earth in Pressure Point it was a huge risk. Avon's decision to go to Earth is much more casual. Also the Earth we see is not the sterile and functional place of The Way Back but a place dominated the grand follies of the rich and powerful.

Paul Darrow gives one of his best peformances -he's intense, driven, mad, scary but still quite sympathetic. Jackie Pearce shines too, especially during the scenes where Servalan is in denial. The theme begun in Kairos of the facade that Servalan has built for herself crumbling is continued in Rumours.

The scenes between them are some of the best of the whole series. Avon looks as though he's torn between killing her or raping her.

Love the banter between the two Federation guards. Forres is a funny character and I felt quite sorry for him when he died. As ever, Boucher gives all sides a human face.

It's particullarly clever that Anna's motives are kept ambiguous. Even her role in the revolution is unclear. Is she planning to kill her allies later? Is she just working for another faction of the administration? We never really know and neither will Avon.

The scenes with Shrinker are excellent, especially those on the Liberator. We get to see just how easily the bully can become the victim and vice versa. When Cally rebukes the crew it is not because she has any sympathy for Shrinker but because she does not want to see her friends become what he is.

A terrific story that gets better the more times you watch it. And Tarrant's poncey bow to the guards is hilarious!!
Servalans Hair

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched this for the first time - first ep with some surprising twists! I didnt recognise Anna and Soola as being the same person so was shocked when Avon said "Hello Anna" and then when it turns out she was Bartholemew! Excellent stuff!
Nice to see Servalan humiliated too...
Took ages to recognise the surveillance fella as the boring inspector from the Thin Blue Line too!
jdarwent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean '"hoity-toity, namby-pamby, fuddy-duddy, flibberty-gibberty, lardy-dardy, palsie-walsie, arty-farty"
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He also played a paedophile in one of Alan Bennet's Talking Head monologues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: