Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode D11: Orbit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORAC

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarrant was a rushed character because of Gareth leaving and the writers never really had time to develop his character in Series 3.

When Series 4 was commissioned everyone was in shock and the writing was done just as haphazzard.

Dayna's character also suffered.

When we meet them both in AFTERMATH/POWERPAY they are both pretty strong characters...alas, they didn't stay that way.
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORAC
Quote:
When we meet them both in AFTERMATH/POWERPLAY they are both pretty strong characters...alas, they didn't stay that way.

No they didn't - Tarrant fell in love at the drop of a stun clip and, to some pretty unsuitable ladies - too!!!

"DAYNA'S" character was weakend by, a similar character being brought in ("SOOLIN") as the hasty replacement for when "JAN" decided to depart the show.

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
ORAC

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.

Soolin's arrival was so last minute - like Series 4 generally.
inge

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you think S4 would have been like had it been planned better?
ORAC

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first 2 episodes would have been quite similar as they needed rescue and a new base and ship.

However I don't think POWER would have happened, I think they would have got straight on with planning to build up thier weaponry or maybe gone straight to TRAITOR & STARDRIVE.

I think the Servalan/Sleer rubbish would have been better written and possibly changed a great deal - in Terminal she seemed very much in power, a slight dissapearence after teleporting would have been sorted out quite quickly.

Thereafter I just think it would have been written and planned generally.

ORBIT / WARLORD & BLAKE I think were near perfect for Blake's 7 in that they had good plots and brought the story forward.

Soolin could have been developed more, as could the others who all seemed quite well considering what had happened to them.

Finally Servalan needed closure and it's a shame that never happened.
inge

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty good.
I think the whole Servalan/Sleer thing was pretty ridiculous.
I mean the former President must have known very many people and I don't think even she could have killed them all.
At least she could have tried to diguise herself.
Orbit Warlord and Blake were as you say. perfect for B7.
I notice you didn't mention Animals.
Soolin had so much potential.
Mr Love

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valentine wrote:
Mr Love
Quote:
What other Avon & Vila episodes do you consider great?

"Well now," there's "KILLER" and, "GAMBIT" for instance!!!

Alright.

Avon and Vila seem to work together best when it comes to engaging in a money making scheme.

And, they both share a lack of enthusiasm for Blake's cause; instead, they are more with the crew because of circumstance.
Mr Love

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inge wrote:
Nice to see you back Mr Love.

Thank You !

It's always nice to see you.

Life currently keeps me away from here though but I post both when I feel I can and want to.

inge wrote:
Tarrant had his good moments when he was frist introduced in Powerplay.
He showed a cunning character even fooling Avon for a while.
His character ended up being the sqeaky clean hero, which is ok but not how he started out.

And one of my favourite other Avon/Vila episodes is Gambit.

Tarrant started out seemingly as sharp & cunning as Avon or Blake, but as we get to know him better, this initial appraisal is diminished somewhat or was it just bad writing ?

When it comes to a money making scheme, Avon and Vila work well together. Is this what you like about their relationship or is it another aspect ?

In Gambit, we see what Avon and Vila would most prefer to be doing; instead of chasing around the galaxy fighting for freedom.

Personally, I liked their banter in the Trial episode when they were wondering if Blake had left the crew.
Mr Love

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORAC wrote:
I think the first 2 episodes would have been quite similar as they needed rescue and a new base and ship.

However I don't think POWER would have happened, I think they would have got straight on with planning to build up thier weaponry or maybe gone straight to TRAITOR & STARDRIVE.

I think the Servalan/Sleer rubbish would have been better written and possibly changed a great deal - in Terminal she seemed very much in power, a slight dissapearence after teleporting would have been sorted out quite quickly.

Thereafter I just think it would have been written and planned generally.

ORBIT / WARLORD & BLAKE I think were near perfect for Blake's 7 in that they had good plots and brought the story forward.

Soolin could have been developed more, as could the others who all seemed quite well considering what had happened to them.

Finally Servalan needed closure and it's a shame that never happened.

RESCUE would have been better if Orac had both remained intact and had been used to take over a ship (as in ORAC). Dorian's showing up at the right time is just tooo convenient and smacks (or suggests) of badly thought out writing.

As for STARDRIVE, there was no need for them to steal such technology as they already had it from the Liberator or didn't the engineers Blake and Avon study the Liberator's engine system and technology. So, that episode needed another reason. Worse, Doctor Plaxton's murder has bothered me in the past. I think she would have been better used as an occasional back ground character --living on or near Xenon base.

I went into feminist provoking Ben Steed's POWER "recently" in depth with some of you in the recent past but that was all lost when the forum crashed. And, I don't feel like it again now but I will say, it could have been written better.

I think the Servalan/Sleer line could have been handled differently. I mean --as someone suggested in Fan commentary or somewhere-- all Avon and crew had to do to knock out Sleer would have been to inform the "new boys" about her. On the other hand, it makes more sense to me to have a commissioner chasing Avon around the galaxy than to have The President doing so. I mean come on.
Mr Love

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inge wrote:
That's pretty good.
I think the whole Servalan/Sleer thing was pretty ridiculous.
I mean the former President must have known very many people and I don't think even she could have killed them all.
At least she could have tried to diguise herself.
Orbit Warlord and Blake were as you say. perfect for B7.
I notice you didn't mention Animals.
Soolin had so much potential.

You'd think Servalan would have to go into hiding, wouldn't you ?

Of course, we are speaking of a powerful woman in an interstellar empire with possible billions or even trillions of people. She became President in an interstellar empire after a major war and possibly a major disruption in communications. And so, her face might not have been too well known amonst the general population. This could allow her to operate openly on a remote planet without being recognized by most.

But, many government & military officials would know her. However, she certainly had many loyal people, and with them shielding her (acting as go betweens when necessary), her big worry would be attending an official event.

This is just my speculation, however.

My big questioin is why didn't Avon simply have Orac relay information on who and what Sleer was to the new President and his friends and let them deal with her ?
Rhiannon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your big ? is excellent.
I never thought of it!
I did wonder why they all did not make a more serious attempt at
trapping Servalan and killing her. Unless it was some awful sort of
game they wanted to keep in tandem with the terrible boredom of
space and base... Maybe it wasn't in Jackie Pearce contract
inge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I liked the character of Servalan she was around for too long. If she had been killed earlier either by Dayna or Avon, it may have led the way for another Federation leader, perhaps someone who wanted revenge for Servalans death.
ORAC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Servalan just seemed to go round in circles in Series 3 & 4.

Killing her off would have been good for the series in that "Better the devil you know" way...a new President could have been even worse for the rebels as they would have had a point to make.

I also think that Servalan could have gone against the Federation in Series 4. Not neccesarily like the Rebels but getting her revenge on the people who left her for dead.

I certainly didn't agree with the Sleer idea, that was just ridiculous - everyone knows (or should know) what their President looks like - that whole senario was pretty ridiculous.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This episode is so dull ,very boring ! . Egrorian and his collegue just irritate me ,they`re so camp ! . And the scene where Avon tries to push that bit of star out of the airlock - just ludicrous ! . At this stage Servalan had just got so ridiculous , hamming it up like Joan Collins in Dynasty ! .
CJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think that's quite right...I re-watched Orbit twice in the last couple of days - looking for that moment where the Avon-Vila friendship really cracks and what's great about this episode is that in some ways its one of the moments when Vila realises that Avon actually treats him with a lot of respect (as opposed to how Egorian treats his dog...) then of course Avon goes and ruins it by trying to kill him...ho hum...
But have another look at Vila curled up in the vent - that's not fear on his face - it's disappointment and betrayal.
And that last line - the irony, the foreshadowing! The least safe place in the Universe right then was next to Avon! ...and not just for Vila but the whole crew.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: