Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode D13: BLAKE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the many things I love about this episode is that it takes the theme of nihilism running through the series to its natural extreme. The crew have fashioned themselves as outlaws and buccaneers, but they are shot down by gaurds who probably don't even know who they are. They have not come for the Scorpio crew but to destroy Blake's fledgling resistance miovement. Avon and the rest die in the crossfire of someone else's battle. If they had not gone to Gauda Prime, Blake would have still died - Arlen's betrayal is in no way connected to Avon and the rest. After Warlord, Avon and co. have ceased to matter.

The episoe looks great throughout. The location work is moody and unsettling, with the crew more exposed and helpless than at any time since Rescue. The destruction of Scorpio is very well staged indeed, topping the death throes of the Liberator.

The series ends on a staggeringly bleak note. The crew are dead (or even if they aren't, they are powerless without aship or base) and Blake's new movement has been destroyed. Its appropriate that Gauda Prime is the place where they all die - this is a planet keen to rid itself of rebels and rejoin the Federation.

The final shoot out is one of the best directed moments of the entire series - no in fact I think it probably is THE best directed moment. Its still shocking even today. No SF series ever did this. The Tripods ended on a bleak note but we didn't see Will and the rest gunned down. Who companions died but the Doctor still salvaged victory in Masterplan, Mindwarp and Earthshock. In Blake we see our heroes cut down and that is simply the end of the matter.

Blake's 7 ends as it began with the death or a rebel group and the victory of the Federation. Of course, we could still assume the Federation will fall. In fact Terminal suggests that it is inevitable. But Blake and the rest have played their part in its history and now they belong to the past.
inge

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the episode that spawned so many PGP fanfics.
Ensor13

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORAC wrote:
Quote:
Now Avon's Stressed Filled At This Point, On The Point of Breaking, He's Been With Tarrant A While, & There's Also The Crash Eariler Where They Bonded, Most People Would Say These Are Huge Factors, But I Think In Avon's State of Mind, The Words And Alarm Would Have Been Trigger Enough

Avon didn't trust anyone and I certainly don't believe that he would take Tarrant's words over Blake's...it was just the way that Blake handled it.

If Blake had said something like "Oh shut up Tarrant, Avon it's good to see you" it would have changed things ever so slightly but given them more room to talk.

If that had happened I think you'll probably have seen Blake and Avon standing back to back raising their guns to the guards in unison.

That's the nature of missunderstandings though isn't it - people say the wrong things in the heat of the moment
Ensor13

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORAC wrote:
I think Avon got ORAC to miniturise again and had it with him at all times!!!

and got it to form a defence sheild around him to kill all the Federation Guards and escape
Servalans Hair

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was an epic couple of months watching all 52 Blakes and now its ended. I kind of remembered what happened at the end but it still shocked me and brought a tear to my eye. We followed these people for 4 series and they were shot in front of us
Was SUCH a shame servalan didnt come walking in at the end when Avon was surrounded. Bloody skinflint BBC.
Was a f***ing brilliant episode all round otherwise
white afro in space

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to imagine what Servalan could be see doing there. I mean, would she saunter around, trailing her fingers on any edges while saying "It's delightful for you all to drop by, especially you, Avon" ?? Can't really picture that, not during that scene.

I could imagine just a glimpse of her, for a moment. A little like that fight scene in Traitor where Dayna and Tarrant see her for only a moment. But I can't imagine the makers of the program actually doing that. They'd have to include an overlong background tale on why she is there, like they did in Traitor. Also, a brief glimpse wouly pave the way for more questions from fandom such as "What the hell was she doing there?"

I quite like the way ending suggests that the Fed Symbol or a bunch of Fed Trooper just got lucky.
dave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its appropriate she wasn't there. If the Federation knew that the rebels on GP were led by Blake then Servalan would undoubtedly have been behind the operation. If she had of been there in person to gloat then Blake would have blown her Sleer cover.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? Why would Servalan have known that Blake was on GP? Why is she made out to be some kind of controlling mastermind when she clearly wasn't? There was lot of information she was kept in the dark about when she was Supreme Commander and then President, let alone some two bit police commisioner.

A great many administrations are compartmentalised so one hand doesn't know what the left is doing - just look at the number of weapons development teams competing for money in the Third Reich or the rivalry between MI5 and MI6 here in the UK or between the US untelligence services. They do not share information.

Besides which, Sleer was part of the Pacification Police which was dedicated to bringing planets into the Federation fold. Terrorists would fall under the jurisdiction of the Military (ie Space Command or Central Security). I can't see the Military handing operation information to another section which would undoubtedly be competing for resources and funding at their expense. Not to mention the kudos that Blake's capture would bring.

Yes, Servalan was behind a number of Avon's defeats in Season 4, but that's because she was playing him at his own game and picking the field, not to mention setting the play up beforehand. She was not to know that Avon would take a gamble on grabbing Blake, even if he knew of his location (all that bollocks ORAC says about a line through infinity is just that - bollocks. If you believe that, then you believed his stuff about the silo door in Power and that was Avon's games at work their too. It just sounds convinicing enough so that the others don't question it).

I've argued this time and time again. There is no reason whatsoever for Servalan to be there except the fans' desire for it.

Rant over.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janov Seldon wrote:
There is no reason whatsoever for Servalan to be there except the fans' desire for it.

Janov brings up what I think is an interesting point. Now I don't mean to criticise Janov but rather, I intend to lead the discussion to somewhere that, here at least, it doesn't usually go - somewhere that is in the region of my own interest in B7. Just think of me playing devil's advocate on this (pffft, yeah right).

Janov's assertion that there is no reason for Servalan to be in the last episode expresses the position that there should be some sort of internal logic within the program, a logic that should be consistent with what has gone before - much like the real world (no matter how chaotic the real world often seems). In other words, one trait of the program should be that it is believable according to its own logic. I would say that this view regards the believabilty of the program to be tied in with a consistent portrayal of characters and events, that is, the content of the narrative. I hesitate to say that this is a 'passive' appreciation of the program, however, I can't think of another word.

The question I ask is: Where does the desire for believability in the narrative come from? Blake's 7 is a depiction of an imaginary universe that exists as an object in our world, an object that is open to interpretation, debate, contemplation etc. As such an object, it seems to me that its position in our world should also be the viewer's concern, because it is a necessary part of the object we consume. What I mean to say is that we should also think about the medium the program exists in, that it was on televison and now available on DVD for us to choose among the hordes of programs out there. I would argue that the medium is part of the program in addition to the narrative content. It is because of this, I think, that it is reasonable for fans to dream and wish of Servalan's 'Ultimate' appearance because the show, ultimately (and I use the word deliberately) aimed to have fans.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janov Seldon wrote:

I've argued this time and time again. There is no reason whatsoever for Servalan to be there except the fans' desire for it.

Rant over.

I agree with Janov on this one, there would be no good reason for Servalan to be on GP . In fact its more in keeping with the episode - in which the audiences expectations are constantly wrongfooted that she shouldn't be there - that she doesn't show up for the finale.

However, I think the resons fans want to like to link her to GP has more to do with the fact that her last scenes in Warlord were far too low key an exit for such a strong character.
ilieva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO Servalan’s absence in this episode gives us back the sense of the wild and untamable power of fate. The final answers only to a few questions and raises a lot more. It’s open to interpretation. Explaining the last events with Servalan’s interference is the easiest thing to come up with but this scheme is already tired. Servalan couldn’t be the only evil and dangerous power even in an imaginary universe.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be argued that by this stage, the crew no longer posed too much of a threat to Servalan. The Pacification Programme put her in a position of strength even if she had to live under an assumed identity (which, let's face it, half the Federation must have seen through by Gold). The major risk Blake and the rest posed to the Federation had always been the Liberator and its superior alien technology. Even with the space drive, Scorpio just wasn't in the same league.

Also, by series 4 Avon was nothing like the danger he had once been TO Servalan - he might have been paranoid and psychotic but in Gold, Games and Warlord all his schemes leave him with nothing. Indeed the very aspects of himself that he seemed to see as strengths were probably the key to his downfall.
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so obvious it's dumb... but it only just occurred to me

The bounty hunter Blake has a nasty injury to his eye... now is that a comparison/reference to his old enemy, Travis? Travis

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to Chris Boucher, The scar - and genral look of Blake - was one of the requests made by Gareth Thomas. Chris also confirms it was an allusion to Travis.

An eye for an eye...?
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`d loved to have seen a whole series with the meaner looking Blake - could have been interesting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: