Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode D13: BLAKE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terrible zodin
Poser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futsie wrote:
ZEN wrote:
This still didnt soften the impact of the actual episode though, seeing it in print was one thing, seeing them gunned down in slow-motion was something else

Indeed!

When I saw that episode I remember just sitting there going while the credits were rolling and with the same expression for some time after!

I always associated the dramatic theme music with the passion of the rebellion etc, so when instead of that music they just had those gunshot sounds that was particularly chilling

i think it's the best way they could have possibly ended it though! it took some balls not to give it a happy ending and it suits the often bleak realism of the show, wonder if they'd do that on a prime time show on the BBC now? (was it broadcast prime time, to be fair i have no idea)
AnnaGrant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadcast 7.15pm on a Tuesday maybe? It is so long ago.
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought. Why didn't the Scorpio crew ever put the word out that Sleer was Servalan, thus ending her current career, and maybe getting her locked up or killed? They don't want to send out messages that could be traced back to them, which would reveal their base, but they could have told everyone they ran into, sent messages through untraceable relays, etc.. ?
Tim Squad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrible zodin wrote:
Futsie wrote:
ZEN wrote:
This still didnt soften the impact of the actual episode though, seeing it in print was one thing, seeing them gunned down in slow-motion was something else

Indeed!

When I saw that episode I remember just sitting there going while the credits were rolling and with the same expression for some time after!

I always associated the dramatic theme music with the passion of the rebellion etc, so when instead of that music they just had those gunshot sounds that was particularly chilling

i think it's the best way they could have possibly ended it though! it took some balls not to give it a happy ending and it suits the often bleak realism of the show, wonder if they'd do that on a prime time show on the BBC now? (was it broadcast prime time, to be fair i have no idea)

For many viewers the killing of Maid Marion by Sir Guy in the latest Robin Hood series at the BBC was a shock. This was viewed by younger children at prime time. Don't know if the writers were insprired by B7? Also I have a dvd the legend of Robin Hood - with PD as the sheriff- where most characters were killed aswell. I wondered why Chris Boucher created this ending? Was it on the assumption there may be a 5th series?

Why didn't Tarrant teleport with Avon from the ship? It seemed a bit fabricated that Tarrant this way comes across Blake. Avon didn't check if T had survived. It seems it was left deliberately vague if he knew.
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Tarrant had taken his hands off the controls, I think the ship would have been flipping around in any or all directions, making it impossible for Avon or Tarrant to stand, much less teleport-- and the violent movements of the ship would make the beam shift in random directions, and who knows where they'd teleport, into space, underground...
Tim Squad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagnusGreel wrote:
If Tarrant had taken his hands off the controls, I think the ship would have been flipping around in any or all directions, making it impossible for Avon or Tarrant to stand, much less teleport-- and the violent movements of the ship would make the beam shift in random directions, and who knows where they'd teleport, into space, underground...

Good point, so Tarrant was basically saving everybody's life hence Avons words Goodbye Tarrant. Is it known what the actors thought of the ending? Were they shocked? Is there anything on the DVD commentaries?
ZEN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagnusGreel wrote:
If Tarrant had taken his hands off the controls, I think the ship would have been flipping around in any or all directions

Indeed. As Tarrant stated himself - "If I leave the controls for a second, she'll flip over and break up"

" It takes talent to fly a dead ship" And it was that talent that allowed Avon & Orac to leave the ship safely

nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 94
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It takes talent to fly a dead ship"... that's a great line, and it sounds "real". I think they must have their own definition of "dead ship" in whatever century this is, though, since I would think a dead ship would be one which doesn't respond to the controls in any way. Maybe they're so dependent on computer control that "dead ship" now means it must be flown on manual. Or you can aim the ship, but it has no propulsion.
ZEN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given manual control was used on more than one occasion on Scorpio, one can only conclued that there wasn't enough flight systems left working to control Scorpio's decent. Tarrant's skill only managed to get Scorpio on the surface in one piece, what happened when he got it there was well beyond even his skill!

NB: Who remembers the Enterprsie doing exactly same sort of crash land in "Generations" I think it was! Of course there isn't any comparison with the effects used. Just cant help wondering if they pinched the idea

nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 94
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZEN wrote:
Given manual control was used on more than one occasion on Scorpio, one can only conclued that there wasn't enough flight systems left working to control Scorpio's decent. Tarrant's skill only managed to get Scorpio on the surface in one piece, what happened when he got it there was well beyond even his skill!

NB: Who remembers the Enterprsie doing exactly same sort of crash land in "Generations" I think it was! Of course there isn't any comparison with the effects used. Just cant help wondering if they pinched the idea

Again, the confusing thing is that Tarrant calls Scorpio a "dead ship", yet controls some bits of it. Yes, whenever I see "Blake" or ST: Generations, I think of the other. Every SF show after B7 stole ideas and images from B7, and from Space:1999. It's pretty transparent. B7 is the template for new SF shows, those set on ships anyway. There's the Star Trek model, and the B7 model, and that's it really. Andromeda and Farscape clearly started out with the basic B7 idea.
Lucifer Sam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak for myself, but when I saw Episode D13 for the first time, I wasn't as shocked as many other people seem to have been. My first thought at the time was "They've just copied the 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid'! Couldn't they think of something more original?"

I guess 'Butch and Sundance' had been shown on UK TV a short time before, along with the other obvious gangster movie parallel, 'Bonnie and Clyde'.

The other main question I had after watching D13 was whether the Federation troops knew who it was they were shooting; whether the whole affair was one of Servalan's convuluted plans finally working, or whether the rebels' luch just run out and they ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. I opted for the latter for its pathos, after all the adventures and intrigues, Blake and his crew finally just got killed by accident.
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Blake's 7 crew "kills", Vila is listed as having 3 total, 1 in this episode. Are they actually counting that love tap he gave to Arlen as a kill? Unless he crushed her when he fell after getting shot he doesn't get a kill. I checked some other episodes and found questionable kills also so when I get a chance I'm going to go episode by episode and make my own "who killed who" list.
pickle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did the federation troopers allow Avon to raise his gun?
boroboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pickle wrote:

Just poor training. Plus at this point the federation doesn't exactly have the cream of its troopers left after multiple civil wars + intergalactic conflict.
Although it has to bea said that in previous episodes they haven't been the best shots or had the best tactical approaches - so they weren't the greatest to start with.
So its just basic incompetence.
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pickle wrote:

Well the answer in general would be that soldiers in scifi are always portrayed as untrained and lacking common sense, with the exception of movies like Aliens, but if you want a answer relative to the episode I can offer a theory. It's possible that the troopers were briefed there would be at least one Federation officer working undercover so they are not to consider it a search and destroy mission and their shooting should be only if necessary. If you notice except for Vila all the kills are from return fire. Also, when Avon finally raises his rifle everything gets quiet and the flashing light seems to intensify as if the director wants us to experience events from Avon's perspective, who has lost it, while not depriving Mr. Darrow of his final close up. So it's possible the troopers may be screaming freeze, identify yourself, drop it,etc, but Avon's too far gone to hear them. As I said, just a theory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: