Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Vila
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Vila Reply with quote

Vila is one of my favourite characters because in many ways he is the most realistic of them all. What comes across in a show full of brave heroes as cowardice would in most walks of real life be regarded as common sense. Who wouldn't want to stay in the relative safety of the Liberator rather than face unknown dangers on a planet for a cause that you don't really support?

I also think Vila's character changed noticeably from when we first see him. He appeared a far more sinister character when we met him in the holding cell on Earth than what we saw shortly afterwards. The show also ends with an unusual bit of Vila when on Gauda Prime we see the exteremly professional way he disarms and koncks out Arlen.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a good charater.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was an out and out snivelling little coward , Avon should have made sure he dumped him out of that air lock , as he was nothing but a liability ! .
BlakNo1

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way he apologized to Arlen after is a nice touch too.

Vila rules!!!
ORAC

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vila was good because he was there to break the tension and it worked very well. Michael played the character with absolute beliveability.

However, the character didn't change after ORBIT and I really feel he should have, that is my only quibble.
RichardWho

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
He was an out and out snivelling little coward , Avon should have made sure he dumped him out of that air lock , as he was nothing but a liability ! .

Rubbish! Vila got them out of quite a few scrapes and showed initiative where necessary. He was very good at avoiding work which sometimes irritated the others. Had he been just a passenger I dont think Blake would have put up with him for long.
Mr-Stabby

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw that Vila would fight if necessary. Take SEEK-LOCATE-DESTROY, he was perfectly able to knock out a guard or 2, and the scene where he walks up to them going "I'm a criminal, and i want to blow something up" shows that hes not a coward all of the time.
ORAC

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a lot more to Vila that was never developed - there are a few episodes where you really feel he knows more than he's letting on, a shame the writers felt the need to box his character in.

And as mentioned, the aftermath of ORBIT was just wasted!
Rhiannon

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vila Reply with quote

Steve Rogerson wrote:
Vila is one of my favourite characters because in many ways he is the most realistic of them all. What comes across in a show full of brave heroes as cowardice would in most walks of real life be regarded as common sense. Who wouldn't want to stay in the relative safety of the Liberator rather than face unknown dangers on a planet for a cause that you don't really support?

I also think Vila's character changed noticeably from when we first see him. He appeared a far more sinister character when we met him in the holding cell on Earth than what we saw shortly afterwards. The show also ends with an unusual bit of Vila when on Gauda Prime we see the exteremly professional way he disarms and koncks out Arlen.

I agree that Vila was the most real character of all
Probably in real life we all know a couple of Vila's.
Someone you can hang out with at the Pub and have
a laugh with.
I had a friend in fandom who was a teacher.Vila fascinated her~
She started to look at quirky kids in her classroom as potential
Vila's They were her favourite students>teacher's pets

He did have a cowardly side to him. No doubt about it...In a world
where everyone is doing chill pills for stress or drinking their probs
away we should understand Vila's dilemma more clearly...
Like Avon, Vila was no Saint! They lived by their wits,by what would
be known as street smarts in urban cities. Avon was shot while trying
to procure exit visas<not very street smart> Avon had to learn what
Vila already knew at his age because Vila spent time from the age of
14 in Juvenile <Juvy> correction institutes...
CACHE

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vila may have seemed a coward but he was anything but. He was a very lazy man who just wanted a peaceful life, being able to do what he wanted, steal and drink wine.

By becoming one of Blake's crew he found he could get out of most things by acting the coward and so his behaviour continued.

He never really trusted Avon, but felt that he was a better allie than enemy.

The events of Orbit are certainly interesting, after Avon tried to kill him Vila said nothing, was this because he was a coward or because he had some other plan that he never got around to?
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Vila probably still realised that he was better off with the others around him. His biggest mistake, as he realised, was going back to crew when he could have stayed with Kerril.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we know that he could be sneaky be watching Seek Locate Destroy and also in shadow, hiding Orac in return of going to see Space city or what ever it's called.

On the DVD you can also see Vila that shot 3 gaurds and that he can pick locks which also makes Avon and Blake keep him on board.

Oh and City on the Edge of the Universe was written by Chris Bouncher for Michel Keating because his dughter was saying how much of a coward he was! But Vila a very interesting charater!
ORAC

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael's performance is without question one of the best, he's solid throughout all 4 Series, a real shame that he was never given the opportunity to really show Vila's bad side.
inge

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have liked to see Vila take Avon on verbally or otherwise after Írbit".
It would added another dimension to Vilas character.
However there is lots of fanfic about just that.
One of the best is "Immolation" in Horizon 22.
The synopsis is briefly, after Orbit, Avon saves Vila from execution but faces execution himself.
jdarwent

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picard wrote:
On the DVD you can also see Vila that shot 3 gaurds and that he can pick locks which also makes Avon and Blake keep him on board.

Yes, I wonder why that was left out of the transmitted episode? It adds a lot to Vila's character - what is left in the episode makes him look like a bit of an idiot who couldn't catch a guard before he got to the alarm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: