Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode D8: Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHARPBLUE wrote:
The clue is here:

[Scorpio blasts Orbiter which disintegrates and disappears]

ORAC Apparently so. It would appear that positive and negative inputs were balanced by the feldon crystals. Indeed, the balance was so perfect, that they simply ceased to exist, along with everything in their immediate vicinity.

That makes no sense whatsoever.
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always grateful for a story that isn't "easy", which has more to figure out over repeat viewings. An irritant in this one is "Cygnus X-L", which I think must have been "Cygnus X-1" in the script (at that time, the one and only confirmed black hole), only an actor mis-read it, and then the other actor had to mis-read it too to be consistent (Darrow, forget other actor who said it).
white afro in space

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
SHARPBLUE wrote:
The clue is here:

ORAC Apparently so. It would appear that positive and negative inputs were balanced by the feldon crystals. Indeed, the balance was so perfect, that they simply ceased to exist, along with everything in their immediate vicinity.

Sense? It goes to the very heart of the 'Suspension of Disbelief', which is the cornerstone of all narrative-based entertainment, thunda. B7 is the artistic high watermark because they frequently challenge you to 'go with it' against all appeals to common sense, logic and reason your mind naturally puts forward. It's as though B7 constantly asks you to 'believe' when your mind is despairing: "I can't believe they're asking me to believe that".
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

white afro in space wrote:
thunda wrote:
SHARPBLUE wrote:
The clue is here:

Sense? It goes to the very heart of the 'Suspension of Disbelief', which is the cornerstone of all narrative-based entertainment, thunda. B7 is the artistic high watermark because they frequently challenge you to 'go with it' against all appeals to common sense, logic and reason your mind naturally puts forward. It's as though B7 constantly asks you to 'believe' when your mind is despairing: "I can't believe they're asking me to believe that".

"In ancient times they read the future from the torn out guts of small animals. Two millennia later it was in the remnant leaves of a herb in a drinking cup. Ask me, and I'd say that civilization has learnt a lot to little positive advantage."
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspension of disbelief is what any film or series creates, when it gets you to accept any fictional reality enough to care what's happening in the story, rather than just seeing it as some actors walking around pretending. It's not about loading the story with lots of nonsense, and then seeing how much they can get away with. The best way to suspend viewers' disbelief is to have the story make as much sense as possible.

The only reason I can maintain any suspension of disbelief in a story full of nonsense plot points is that the characters and situation have already been set firmly in my head, through a lot of good episodes.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that was my point to thunda, although put far more directly than I could. When a show is set in a fictional universe as B7 is, it's only natural that scientific inaccuracies creep in. They can be thought of as a kind of unreal nonsense that the audience is supposed to accept while their disbelief is being suspended.
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

white afro in space wrote:
I guess that was my point to thunda, although put far more directly than I could. When a show is set in a fictional universe as B7 is, it's only natural that scientific inaccuracies creep in. They can be thought of as a kind of unreal nonsense that the audience is supposed to accept while their disbelief is being suspended.

It sounded to me as if you were embracing pseudo-scientific nonsense, as being part of what shows like this are supposed to be about, and perhaps should be about, and I was trying to argue against that.
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any problem with suspension of belief, as a scifi fan I do it all the time. I can stomach the feldon crystals that absorb energy, they're probably similar to dilithium crystals from Star Trek. I can even stomach using energy from fairly distant stars, probably similar to Stargate Atlantis using zero point energy. I can..almost..stomach using a black hole as an energy source, I think the movie Event Horizon did something like that. What I can't stomach is lazy writing. Techno-babble works so well in Star Trek for one simple reason, they follow the laws they create. In Games it's established that feldon crystals absorb energy and have a tendency to explode, yet when Scorpio blasts them they do neither, they merely "cease to exist". Okay, so now it's no longer a scifi story, it's a fantasy story set in the future, like one of those Sword and Sorcery novels where everyone is in pursuit of the magic gems but in the end they disappear to another dimension. Anyway, the actors gave a good performance, particularly Johns and Darrow, making a poorly written story enjoyable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: