Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

BLAKE'S 7 DVD LAYER CHANGE PROBLEMS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terrible zodin
Poser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Layer Change Reply with quote

What Is This Layer change Problem!!!!???? I Am Hopefully Gonna Recieve The DVD On Monday (My Birthday) I Don't Understand What You Mean By Layer Change, Can Somebody Help Me?
Davecabs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial pressings of the DVD seemed to have a problem. The layer changes on the DVD were put in the middle of episodes and they had a tendency to freeze on some players. Unfortunately the DVD's haven't been withdrawn and a lot of shops are still selling the defective ones. If you get one that freezes just take it back for a refund and order from somewhere like Amazon that guarantees you will receive the new pressing.
terrible zodin
Poser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for the info Davecabs (but what is a DVD layer?)
Davecabs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD's tend to be multi-layered, so at some point to fit all the info on them, the machine has to change layers. Normally on a DVD a layer change will either be in between episodes or with a movie you may occasionally see a slight freeze for a fraction of a second, then the film resumes. This happens when the DVD changes layers. The problem with many of the Blake's 7 DVD's is that when it hits the layer change (which should be in between episodes) it tends to freeze and not move on. You cannot even fast forward them. There have also been cases of some DVD's jumping on a scene without people realising. Some people thought, because of this, that the new DVD's had cuts in them. If you have any problems with the DVD when you receive it, just take it back and order a new one that has not got a problem.

I had three different copies with exactly the same problem. I still haven't got it. Will have to order it from Amazon soon.
BEAST
Forum Hooligan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ its so annoying when that happens and your in the middle of a good film you have to turn the player off and on again and find your place.

E-THUGGING
E-PIMPING
E-BEEFING
SINCE 2002
terrible zodin
Poser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davecabs wrote:
DVD's tend to be multi-layered, so at some point to fit all the info on them, the machine has to change layers. Normally on a DVD a layer change will either be in between episodes or with a movie you may occasionally see a slight freeze for a fraction of a second, then the film resumes. This happens when the DVD changes layers. The problem with many of the Blake's 7 DVD's is that when it hits the layer change (which should be in between episodes) it tends to freeze and not move on. You cannot even fast forward them. There have also been cases of some DVD's jumping on a scene without people realising. Some people thought, because of this, that the new DVD's had cuts in them. If you have any problems with the DVD when you receive it, just take it back and order a new one that has not got a problem.

I had three different copies with exactly the same problem. I still haven't got it. Will have to order it from Amazon soon.

is it watchable with this dvd layer changing problem?
SpaceCommanderTravis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you tell the difference between the faulty layered ones and the new ones if they are in the shop or on ebay too?
Davecabs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the new ones may have a green sticker on the back - or something similar, but there is no other way of knowing. The discs are just about watchable - though some people have reported that it can skip scenes without you realising. Also when the picture freezes it cannot be fast forwarded. You have to jump to the next scene and rewind to just after the freeze.

So it can be watched if you can be bothered. I believe Amazon are selling the new ones, but a lot of shops don't even seem to be aware of the problem, so still stock the old ones.

It is so tricky knowing what you are buying I still haven't got a copy for myself, even though I am desperate to watch the episodes.
Davecabs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the BBC haven't even admitted there is a problem which makes the whole thing tres complicated!
SpaceCommanderTravis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks.
Diane G

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the BBC have admitted there's a problem, and have re-issued the Season 1 box sets. Anyone with a new set should have no problems with the layer change.

The new sets have a little round yellow sticker on the back of the box, and the code on the actual disc itself is different (though you can't see this till you've bought and opened it!) Agreed, it is difficult to be sure when you order whether you're definitely getting the new version, as many shops still don't seem to be aware that the problem exists and may not have swapped their unsold stock back for the corrected version. Whilst they would obviously exchange it if you found your copy was faulty, it's a huge hassle.

However, I've got a foolproof way you can be sure you have a NEW fully working set of the DVDs... buy them from Horizon.

I've still got a few sets left with boxes signed by Gareth Thomas, and I'll throw in a free BBC limited edition publicity poster that you can't get anywhere else, all for 36.99 including UK Recorded Delivery. I can send them overseas too (let me know what country if it's not UK and I'll give you the price) and we take UK cheques, or credit card payments.

I can email an order form with full ordering and credit card payment info - just email me at horizonb7@dsl.pipex.com. I've also got an unsigned set (also the corrected version) for 32 including UK postage - and you can still have the BBC poster with it!

- Diane G
ORAC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you Diane.

BBC DVD review (Ceefax pages 547/ says SERIES 2 looks set to be released in October.
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a look at that!
Diane G

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORAC wrote:
Good to hear from you Diane.

BBC DVD review (Ceefax pages 547/ says SERIES 2 looks set to be released in October.

Thanks Orac. Yes, 4th October is the date I've been given and I'm hoping to have a price and ordering info for the S2 set shortly. Just trying to sort out what the best deal I can offer is going to be...

I was also told that 31 January 2005 is the planned date for S3, and September 2005 for S4.

- Diane
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane? Do you accept cash? I'll have to borrow a cheqe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: