Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

The Hateful Eight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHARPBLUE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: The Hateful Eight Reply with quote

Thoughts

I thought I wouldn't like it - loved it.

Visit me at www.mkeen.f9.co.uk & about.me/markkeen
white afro in space

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't seen a 'new' Tarantino for years. I thought he'd lost it a little with the Kill Bill films. After enjoying Reservoir and Pulp, I couldn't get into his style of 'reference' film making, I just couldn't care for his approach on any level, yet I love all the references in the Pegg/Frost/Wright 'trilogy' and how they pack them in.

This one got me interested with all the talk of the particular 'old-school' film format he used. There was a bit of a local story at the time where my city (Melbourne) is apparently home to the only two cinemas than can screen in that format in the southern hemisphere (or something like that), and one of them had sourced a projector for the express purpose of doing it for this film. Tarantino and someone else (might have been Jackson, can't be sure) even turned up unannounced (to the public) to see it (at the cinema that recently acquired the hardware). That's a fair hike! So there was a buzz at the time. Mind you, I didn't see it at one of those cinemas, I went to a multiplex type on a cheap night (big spender, me). But I was glad to see it on a big screen of some description, even if I couldn't tell what difference the film format was or would have made. I could see it for the outdoor sequences of the first part of the film, but once everything moved indoors, I couldn't see the point.

Furthermore, it's a Western! I hate Westerns. They're rubbish. If they haven't got Claudia Cardinale looking munch-able, I don't want to know. But cheese and rice, ol' Tarantula features can make a good film. They guy knows what he's doing, he handles experienced stalwarts like a master (Kurt Russell and Bruce frikken Dern, man!!!). When it comes down to it, Tarantino's films stand apart, miles apart from the rest, on their dialogue. No one else comes close. Scorsese or Allen might have come close some decades ago (certainly not now). With Tarantino, the dialogue gets you interested, gets you believing. You don't need fancy cinematography, fancy effects, overblown histrionics, or a convoluted story because the way the words come out of the actors mouths is all he needs to pull you in....and he does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Movies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: