Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Character discussion: Soolin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Character discussion: Soolin Reply with quote

I noticed we didnít have any character discussion threads so I decided to start one. I intend to do all the main characters.

I was never quite sure what to make of Soolin. First off, what was she? She states that she sells her skill, but what did she mean? Assassin? Bodyguard? Mistress? Companion? Pilot? Tactician? Hostess? For the sake of argument Iíll consider Soolin a gunfighter, which is good because she came before female bada$$ gunfighters were in style. I realize you canít judge a character by his/her first appearance, since the writers are testing the waters, but if they knew she was going to join the crew they should have laid a better foundation. In Rescue she seems to be doing just about everything for Dorian yet the only thing which carries over is her quick draw. Later itís shown she has intelligence, bravery and a sense of comradery, however those are not evident in her introduction.

I thought her origin was good, although itís not touched upon again until the final episode, and should have been the basis for her motivation. Training under one of the men who killed her parents shows she has restraint, control and discipline. Killing him shows she has perseverance and determination . Killing the rest proves she doesnít let things go and is also perhaps detached from society

I believe the transition from Dorian to crew member was too swift. Her background and the fact that she wasnít raised on Earth would have made her more aloof and suspicious in the beginning. It would have made more sense if she had been observing, studying, staying behind the others until they earned her trust. Later coming to the point where she accepts them as her new family.

The big question I have about Soolin is why? Why continue to be a gunfighter which is something she should despise? Why join Avonís group long term? Why trust a bunch of strangers after what she went through? Why take on the Federation?

Feel free to join in!
Ron

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think armed bodyguard is what Soolin is saying her skill is; a mercenary. There's many times she demonstrates being faster on the draw than anyone. Confident and fearless she appears to detect the other's first movement almost supernaturally. I'm remembering the time in the episode Games just now when she's also unafraid of machines. That's Soolin for me, and as such a strong character - with good looks! I'll look out for the other characteristics you mentioned.

Thinking about her transition to 'one of the gang' doesn't she often keep a sort of distance to them, all the way through? I feel she maybe has been made (understandably after her story in the final episode) a bit introvert and keeping a little apart from any society.
thunda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itís funny, in Traitor, her first mission, she starts off sitting alone in the back, then moves to the front near Avon, then takes an outside console, and then finally takes a console in the middle next to Vila. Itís like she was getting the feel of the crew and felt comfortable with them in less than an hour.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: