Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Kaldor City

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Kaldor City Reply with quote

This thread is going to contain major spoilers about the Kaldor City audio series so if you havenít heard them yet and plan to, you better leave here now.

Kaldor City is based on and continues on the Doctor Who episode Robots of Death. It contains characters that were in that episode and also at least one character from the Blakeís 7 series episode Weapon. The producer actually managed to get the original actors from Robots of Death to reprise their roles and youíll also hear some familiar voices from Blakeís 7. Some people argue that Avon is in this series going under the name Kaston Iago but thatís debatable.

Note: Thereís at least one novel that was written about what occurred after Robots of Death but I havenít read it/them so my review might reflect that.

Main cast
◾ Kaston Iago - Paul Darrow
◾ Kiy Uvanov - Russell Hunter
◾ Carnell - Scott Fredericks
◾ Layly Landerchild - Peter Miles
◾ Stenton Rull - Trevor Cooper
◾ Cotton - Brian Croucher
◾ Justina Kessel - Patricia Merrick
◾ Elska Blayes - Tracy Russell

Guest starring

(bracketed number refers to story chapter)
◾ Strecker - Peter Tuddenham (1, 2)
◾ Daniel Packard - Nicholas Courtney (3, 4, 5)
◾ Paullus - David Collings (3, 4, 5)
◾ Zala Vance - Jasmine Breaks (3, 4)
◾ Taren Capel - David Bailie (4, 5)
◾ Derhaven - Peter Halliday (5)
◾ Chief Mover - John Leeson (6)
◾ Commander - Philip Madoc (6)

Occamís Razor:
Had to look that up to see what it meant but it makes sense at the end. First episode introduces the main characters and we get a tiny glimpse of the world they live in. Kaston Iago(Paul Darrow) it seems is going to be the protagonist and is established as a type of anti-hero (because with that body count he sure as hell canít be a hero). Lots of over the top killing, but you can get away with that in futuristic stories. The plot is simple enough and easy to follow but itís the quality acting that carries the story. So far, so good.
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathís Head:
Instead of developing the characters from the previous episode by having them team up to combat an outside threat the writer decides to have them all try to outdo each other. This story is a lot more intricate than the previous but in doing so it unleashes a bunch of plot holes. Uvanov is portrayed much differently than how he was in Robots of Death, here he is paranoid, scheming and ruthless to the point where heís no longer likeable. In fact all the characters seem to be straight up b@#$%&ds that it feels more like a fan fiction than a Doctor Who spin off. Carnell seems to be pulling everyoneís strings but no matter how many times I listened to it I couldn't figure out what exactly was going on. Itís like they condensed the story and edited out key moments of the plot. First rate acting, though.
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neglected to give credit to the writers.

Occam's Razor - Alan Stevens, Jim Smith

Death's Head - Chris Boucher

Hidden Persuaders - Jim Smith, Fiona Moore

Taren Capel - Alan Stevens

Checkmate - Alan Stevens

Storm Mind - Daniel O'Mahony

thunda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hidden Persuaders
I enjoyed this episode even though the overall plot was a bit tricky and I had to listen to it several times to fully grasp it. The interaction between the characters was enjoyable particularly the comradery with Rull and Cotton, two working class heroes. We also get a little more insight on the politics of Kaldor city with the jockeying for power and Uvanov scheming to stay on top. There was just enough humor with the subplots to keep the story from getting too dark.
The writer touches on something most futuristic scifi stories neglect, which is; when you have an advanced society where robots do most jobs what do humans do? In Star Trek where everything can be created from a machine and itís stated that money no longer has value, well what drives the average human to strive for success or greatness? Thatís never addressed in Star Trek but here itís shown that two distinct classes have emerged, the rich upper class and the unworking lower class. The city has evolved to the point where a job has become a privilege. Where the story falls short is that we never see how this society is able to function successfully. The planetís economy is never fully fleshed out to where it seems realistic because we are never told how the First Masters maintain their wealth or how the jobless Sewer Pit dwellers are able to survive.

Another thing the writer deals with is religion. The story tells how Taren Capel from Robots of Death, now has churches that worship him as an almost godlike figure. The story shows how people interpret facts differently by having the ďTarenistsĒ believing he was a champion for humanity and ironically by one of the people he was attempting to kill. The writer also does a good job illustrating how easy it is for people to justify violent actions in the name of religion. One problem I have is that since some of the characters who met Taren Capel are still alive there shouldnít have been enough time passed for his acts to have been forgotten.
thunda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taren Capel
Some good action as the Company takes on the Tarenists. This writer, like the others, still doesnít understand that you donít need a high body count to make a story exciting but at least he makes logical reasons why the deaths were necessary. Better than the action was Carnell giving the robot all the information on Taren Capel and the robot calculating all the resulting activities as chess moves. I thought that was a nice scifi element and also made sense being that the robots were everywhere and all connected. Carnell gets to shine in this episode using his intellect to neutralize Iagoís killing skills. Itís also nice how heís the only one to start to figure out thereís something bigger going on. Youíll have to have seen Robots of Death, one of my favorite Doctor Who stories, to fully appreciate this episode. Nice how they managed to bring back the antagonist from ROD and also the original actor to reprise his role. Again, some first rate acting and good levity. Ends on a suspense note. Can't wait until next episode when we have a robot war.

Some Blakeís 7 references:
Iago - ďDonít worry Blayes, your future is safe with meĒ
Iago - ď..it was all just a great illusion, BlayesĒ (Deathís Head episode)
Iago - ďThe Butcher of Zircaster? I killed the Butcher of ZircasterĒ (is Iago Avon?)
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checkmate
Well, this certainly wasnít what I was expecting. I was looking forward to the Robots of Death rampaging through the city and taking on the planetís armed forces. Instead we get one robot assaulting a newscaster. What a let down. After Iago neutralizes the robots, a bit too easy, the story gets real weird real fast. It shifts from scifi to supernatural. A talking skull, giant snakes, time travel, spirits, possessions, I mean, come on. I didnít understand most of what happened so I did some research and found out this episode has to do with the Doctor Who story Image of the Fendahl. I managed to find it, downloaded it, watched it several times and now thereís two stories I donít understand. I think the skull that the fourth Doctor threw into a star about to go supernova is back. Sure, that makes sense. Heís only a Time Lord, he wouldnít know how to dispose of an evil entity. Iago gets a chance to be the hero and finish the job that apparently Tom Baker couldnít. Heís sent back in time (donít ask me how because he didnít have a Tardis) to change things and does what he does best, start shooting. Killing the host of the Fendahl actually should have worked but it doesnít, so I guess the whole world was consumed. I donít know. Listening to this story was like changing tv channels every few minutes, there were about five different stories going on that werenít connected. I kept hoping Doctor Who would make an appearance and sort thing out. Maybe the next episode will clarify things.

B7 reference:
Rull - "Clinically obese isn't what I am, it's who I am."
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm Mine
What the @#$% did I just listen to? Seriously, I have no idea. Not only doesn't it clarify or continue the last episode it tells a story that doesn't make sense. It has two people that should be dead, dialogue that serves no purpose, new characters from out of nowhere, and a philosophical robot. No matter how many times I listen to it I can't figure out what the hell is going on. As far as I can tell the Fendahl consumed Kaldor City, then the planet, then the entire universe. So I guess that includes us too. And all of this is just a dream..just a dream..just a dream...

Last edited by thunda on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
THE DOCTOR ALT 8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[size-18]I lent Adrian my CD's of these adventures to try and get him interested.

He lost the lot! Grrrr
[/size]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thunda

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has thoughts on this series feel free to jump in.
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metafiction
I thought this was great. Although itís part of the Kaldor City series you have to be a Blakeís 7 fan to appreciate it. Justina is interviewing Iago to get some background information but gets more than she expected. Although he doesnít say the name ďAvonĒ he basically describes the life Avon went through. Some good tongue in cheek humor from both performers as he tells how he and some ex-convicts went around the galaxy blowing stuff up. Justina takes the role of a B7 fan as she asks questions like whatís negative hyper-space, how fast is standard speed, how fast is a time distort unit, and how did the London arrive at Cygnus Alpha before the Liberator? Iago simply replies ďdonít know.Ē

I'll continue this later.
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metafiction

Iago has an interesting take on the B7 Horizon adventure. By freeing the population it greatly set back the Federationís development of their inter-galactic drive, which prevented them from launching a preemptive strike in the Andromeda galaxy, which allowed the aliens to attack first, resulting in the deaths of billions.
thunda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metafiction

Iago - I also remember on another occasion we came across what looked like a huge glitter ball, hanging in space, and at its center we found a gigantic orange brain that contained all the knowledge of the universe.
Justina - Thatís amazing. What did you do?
Iago - We blew it up. Nobody likes a smart-arse.
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metafiction

Iago describes the episode The Web as freeing some ungrateful dwarves from another dwarf in a fish tank who lived in a giant inflatable bouncy tent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: