Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

C10: Ultraworld
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That scene where Tarrant is being hypnotized,and one of Dayna's gadgets drives in and explodes,and then she rushes in drawing her gun is actually one of my favorite B7 parts.I'm betting that if they had a higher FX budget the device would have been smaller so it could have been concealed on her person (and maybe expanded later),but when I watch Blake's 7 I don't nitpick the special effects or the fight scenes.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Cally getting possessed was almost inevitable at this point. There's probably some bar in the Blake's 7 universe were evil mind sucking aliens compare notes on the insides of her head!
I really can't make up my mind about Ultraworld. It has sinister moments, but at other times it just seems a bit silly. All that stuff with Vila and Orac seems out of character for them both. I can almost imagine this as a story in one of the old annuals.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just watched this again and it's really starting to grow on me!
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that bad unless you watch Redemption on the same day.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what you mean, they are a bit too similar. Both of them make me think that the producers of Star Trek must have been watching B7 as well as Doctor Who when they thought up the Borg.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one of the most 'typical SF' B7 stories isn't it. Parts of it really could be a Star Trek episode or perhaps even a Davison Dr Who story?
RichardWho

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I've said before, S3 got a bit like Star Trek in that with the Fed weakened after the Andromedan war and our heroes spent much of their time outside Fed space boldly going where no-one else had gone and have encounter type adventures such as "Ultraworld", "Sarcophagus" and "Dawn of the Gods". All of those stories could just as well be Star Trek episodes
Servalans Hair

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked this one
Thought Vila and Orac were a hilarious double act!!!
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the Blake's 7 episodes I can watch over and over again. It's not great but it's fun. A nice change of pace with the spotlight being on someone other than Avon. A good Tarrant episode especially when Avon becomes incapacitated he's forced to become "Avon", similar to the rebellious son having to be the man of the house when dad's not there. Nice chemistry with him and Dayna teaming up, showing that although they have many similarities they're very different. Josette Simon does an excellent job showing Dayna's weaknesses and strengths. She's reckless enough to attempt taking on the the Ultras with no plan yet clever enough to deceive them. If I had to pick one episode that defined her character this would be it.
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could say this might be where the Borg idea comes from. It's a good one. It always gets me, though, that they rescue Callie's body before putting her mind back in, but apparently didn't tell the actress that that was the situation, because right after being freed from the conveyor belt, she's up and running for her life, and then hovering around listening attentively to their next discussion as if she understands...! She has no mind!
thunda

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the reasons this episode appeals to me is because it reminds me of those 1950's scifi movies. The ones that could scare you without blood and guts all over the place. A sequel of this would make a nice Doctor Who crossover with the Core taking over entire planets and threatening the galaxy.

A good twist would have been if Dayna(since apparently only women get possessed) got taken over instead and Cally and Tarrant teamed up.
boroboy

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunda - because it is 50's sci-fi B movie is exactly why I don't like this episode. It is full of cringeworthy tat like Dayne sneezing at exactly the wrong moment. ANd Vila teaching Orac crappy jokes... makes me lose the will to life and/or throw a rock through the TV screen in impotent rage (only because it is debasing the whole premise of B7 - not that the episode itself has any content that would induced any sort of emotional response).

What's the point of making this episode - it goes nowhere and just jars with the rest of the series. I skip it when doing watch-throughs. Very bad B7 and, dare I say it, simply bad TV?

I will stop now. Too much negativity just having to think about this episode.
meegat39

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boroboy wrote:
Thunda - because it is 50's sci-fi B movie is exactly why I don't like this episode. It is full of cringeworthy tat like Dayne sneezing at exactly the wrong moment. ANd Vila teaching Orac crappy jokes... makes me lose the will to life and/or throw a rock through the TV screen in impotent rage (only because it is debasing the whole premise of B7 - not that the episode itself has any content that would induced any sort of emotional respont
What's the point of making this episode - it goes nowhere and just jars with the rest of the series. I skip it when doing watch-throughs. Very bad B7 and, dare I say it, simply bad TV?q

It IS quite cringeworthy especially the Tarant and Dayna kissing scene who appear to have no chemistry and Tarrant makes it obvious he doesn't really want to do it. However, it's not so bad I will skip it...
thunda

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meegat39 wrote:
boroboy wrote:
Thunda - because it is 50's sci-fi B movie is exactly why I don't like this episode. It is full of cringeworthy tat like Dayne sneezing at exactly the wrong moment. ANd Vila teaching Orac crappy jokes... makes me lose the will to life and/or throw a rock through the TV screen in impotent rage (only because it is debasing the whole premise of B7 - not that the episode itself has any content that would induced any sort of emotional respont
What's the point of making this episode - it goes nowhere and just jars with the rest of the series. I skip it when doing watch-throughs. Very bad B7 and, dare I say it, simply bad TV?q

It IS quite cringeworthy especially the Tarant and Dayna kissing scene who appear to have no chemistry and Tarrant makes it obvious he doesn't really want to do it. However, it's not so bad I will skip it...

I guess I'm in the minority because everything you guys hated I loved. I thought this was a good stand alone episode that didn't get bogged down by having Servalan show up by coincidence with some of her incompetent stormtroopers. This reminded me of those black and white scifi movies they use to show 2:30 in the morning when I was a kid. Only thing missing was a good old fashioned fist fight and at the end of the movie the hero telling the damsel in distress "I think it's time I made an honest woman of you." Oh, to be young again.
boroboy

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunda - I think we should just agree to disagree on this one. I have to say that you are so right about Sevelan not showing up being a plus. I just think they could have done so much more. By which I mean that we had such a great universe and set of characters that I think they were wasted in this episode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: