Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode B1:Redemption
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A terrific episode and very diffferent to anything from the previous season. All of a sudden the Liberator is mysterious and dangerous rather than a safe sanctuary for the heroes. The model design is unusually effective , especially the shot of the ship approaching Space World as two persuit craft fly overhead. Although Nation re-uses some of the ideas from Death To The Daleks (living metal tentacles, people treated as viruses etc) they work much better here.

The Altas look good too, especially the fetishistic gaurds (who vaguely resemble the robomen from the second Dalek movie). Oldbury Power station makes an effective location - again!

Orac seems to be deliberately pushing events so that the Liberator is taken to Space World. Maybe through Zen he detected the System as a source of information that he wanted to make use of? He seems to have emotions so he would be quite capable of avarice. Once he's taken what he wants, he cripples his 'rival', just as he will in the similar Ultraword. However, if his abilities are enhanced by his encounter with the System, he'll pay the price for it in the next episode...
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres some serious kinky outfits in this one - the altas , those guards -and of course Kerr Avon !
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
Theres some serious kinky outfits in this one - the altas , those guards -and of course Kerr Avon !

God bless June Hudson!
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE
Quote:

"Well now," at least that black leather outfit looked a great deal better on Avon than it did later on when Tarrant wore it!!!

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valentine wrote:
BLAKESCREWE
Quote:

"Well now," at least that black leather outfit looked a great deal better on Avon than it did later on when Tarrant wore it!!!

But I thought Kerr lent it him specially ?
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
Valentine wrote:
BLAKESCREWE
Quote:

But I thought Kerr lent it him specially ?

Well he did know Del's inside leg measurements by heart..
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet he did !
ZEN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just watched Redemption something puzzled me slightly I noticed the system guards never had their guns holstered, nore indeed had they holsters at all!!. Which of the two sets of handguns were the more advanced therefore! - those used on the station, or those used on the DSVs! The braclets remained the same, so not much improvement there!

nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 96
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bit where the guns were `white hot` -why not just wrap something around your hand and take two ?
Richard1978

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always imagined the space battle The Liberator was involved with in Space Fall was a bit like the battle of the River Plate, where British & German ships faught in the mouth of the aformentioned river in South America.

A nice touch was to have the control room styled a lot like the flight deck of the Liberator, though they use the same location as in Time Squad, complete with that heavy bunker door.
thunda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever met anyone with Blake's gall? He's captured by a superior alien race, outnumbered, in possession of one of their ships, half-way across the galaxy, and he's making demands of them. Still one of my favorite episodes.
boroboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunda - that's not gall... he's a narcissistic psychopath (see our discussion of Trial)! The reality of the situation he is in is not part of his thought process. He is massively deluded.
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is relative, boroboy. While your analysis for Blake may be accurate for our world, keep in mind he resides in a reality where like in alot of scifi life and some laws of physics don't have the same value. I personally compare him to Batman from the comic books but I think Avon hit the nail on the head in Cygnus Alpha when he labeled Blake a crusader. It's like he believes he was chosen to fight injustice throughout the galaxy. What makes his character interesting and sort of an anti-hero is that he sees injustice everywhere even when it may not eixist.
thunda

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLAVE -Yes, now there's no war, no famine --

BLAKE -And no freedom.

You know, I used to agree with Blake here but now I'm leaning the other way. It's just too bad the episode didn't make a better case for the System. We've all seen movies or read books where aliens, evil geniuses, whatever, promised to make the Earth a utopia if they're put in charge and the the protagonist promptly kicks their arse while giving a speech about humanity never sacrificing its freedom. But that's not exactly true is it? Lots of people don't have freedom so they wouldn't be sacrificing anything. If every person on Earth got a vote; an end to war, famine, disease, drought, racism, sexism, crime, etc. in exchange for freedom, or stay as you are, which would win?

Redemption doesn't show us how the citizens of the three planets are living and whether it's better than when they were at war. We only get the viewpoint of a slave and it's not explained why he is a slave. Obviously he would prefer freedom but the issue is if the three planets are better off with the System in control or worse? I'm not questioning Blake's actions mind you, he acted in self defense, I just think this episode isn't as clearcut as it's made out to be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: