Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode D10: Gold
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardWho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching this episode again last night, I'm now beginning to wonder for how long had Avon realised that it was Servalan that was behind the plan? Was Avon really working for her? If so, his final line at the end of "Blake", "Have you betrayed us?" would be very ironic if in fact it was Avon who was doing the betraying. Perhaps that's why he's the only one who doesn't get shot at the end of "Blake"!
EJA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Kinnear was great when he was sleazily flirting with Soolin, and kept calling her "Pretty one"! It's a terrible, terrible shame what happened to him in '88...
Rojblake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardWho wrote:
After watching this episode again last night, I'm now beginning to wonder for how long had Avon realised that it was Servalan that was behind the plan? Was Avon really working for her? If so, his final line at the end of "Blake", "Have you betrayed us?" would be very ironic if in fact it was Avon who was doing the betraying. Perhaps that's why he's the only one who doesn't get shot at the end of "Blake"!

A double agent so to speak, interesting idea.
boroboy

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rojblake and RichardWho - I suppose he could have been a double agent - but it seems more likely, given that Avon is not too bright and loses all the time that this was just another one of his failures.
Meanwhile - back to the episode. I must have watched this episode a dozen times and I still can't quite get my head around it.
At first they follow Keillers plan to tamper with the device that turns the gold black and then steal unaltered gold rather tahn do the deal with the people who blackmailed Keiller.
But once Avon shoots a guard (messing everything up as usual) won't everyone know something is afoot? Wouldn't the federation be alerted and watching the space princess and therefore not let our heroes steal the gold? I don't see how Avon thinks he can get away with it. Or am I missing something? I can see that the scam would work if no alarm was raised - but once you start killing/shooting, WTH?
However... Keiller says that two guards were waiting in the processor so it must have been a trap. Is Keiller wrong? Maybe its always guarded - which would make sense. OR is it Servalan's guards. But this doesn't make sense as her plan was for Avon et al. to get away with the theft so she could exchange worthless currency for gold. She doesn't want them to fail at the theft (and she wants them to stop the conversion to balck gold - or does she really have a differnet way to convert teh black gold back to regular gold - which is the story she told Keiller). So, again WTH? Or was Servalan playing a double-game. If they got killed in the ambush then that would eliminate at least a couple of the crew. For which she would get credit. If they didn't then she would double-cross them with the worthless paper currency.
We also know that Keiller was being paid by Servalan to make sure that Avons team was involved and would successfully carry out the theft. It seems like she meant to trick them all along. So why the extra security at the processing plant? But according to Keiller Servalan wanted the gold to be black - and that it was Keillers idea to change the processing. In which case the guards and all the fuss at the processing plant were not Servalans doing. Is that right?
After the failure at the processing plant, the plan is to steal the black gold and sell it to Keillers partners as black gold - i.e., Keillers partners (servalan) original plan. And, at the end it appears that Servalan CAN use the black gold. She played them all expertly. Maybe my confusion is that I am under-estimating Servalan and she wanted to ensure she came out best no matter what happened.

Other good/interesting bits about this story:
- Soolin is a truly fantastic sharpshooter
- The failure at the processing plant is portrayed very well - the confusion and desperation of the team are well done.
- The fact that "aliens" can't get drugs away from their homeworld.
- Servalan and our heroes are reduced to gangsters - this has always bee true for our heroes post-Blake but it is interesting to see the main characters admit it.
- they put Vila in charge of Scorpio when making the exchange. Who knew he was a pilot, too?
- The much-remarked upon clothing issues for Soolin and Avon. Maybe they had spare outfits or, more likely, they just wore the ZVP overalls over their clothes.
thunda

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand everything about the plot boroboy, but I believe you're correct about Servalan playing both sides. I think the extra guards were official Federation guards deployed with Zerok's permission to help thwart a possible robbery. She knew Avon would still try again but it keeps her and the Federation in the clear. Unofficially she wants the B7 team to eventually succeed. At least I think that's what happened.

The aliens "won't be given drugs on Earth" didn't make sense to me. Since 99.9% of all B7 aliens appear to have originated on Earth and are humanoid I don't see why Earth doctors are unable to treat a non Terran who's going through withdrawal.
meegat39

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="boroboy"]- they put Vila in charge of Scorpio when making the exchange. Who knew he was a pilot, too?

They landed to make the exchange. Avon wanted to use the teleport but Orac told them it would reduce the black gold to dust pretty much so they had to land. Vila was just left on board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: