Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode D13: BLAKE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boroboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucifer Sam wrote:

The other main question I had after watching D13 was whether the Federation troops knew who it was they were shooting; whether the whole affair was one of Servalan's convuluted plans finally working, or whether the rebels' luch just run out and they ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. I opted for the latter for its pathos, after all the adventures and intrigues, Blake and his crew finally just got killed by accident.

I had the same question and I agree that, based on the ethos of the rest of the series, that their luck just finally ran out. They were just caught up in events - like so many of their other adventures. It's not like they ever really had a plan about how to take over and then run the federation better. That's why Servelan/Sleer isn't there. She'd only gloat, anyway, and make some sarcastic remark about getting the floors cleaned.
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pickle wrote:
Why did the federation troopers allow Avon to raise his gun?

Maybe as an answer in-between Lucifer Sam's two possibilities....
Lucifer Sam wrote:

The other main question I had after watching D13 was whether the Federation troops knew who it was they were shooting; whether the whole affair was one of Servalan's convuluted plans finally working, or whether the rebels' luch just run out and they ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. I opted for the latter for its pathos, after all the adventures and intrigues, Blake and his crew finally just got killed by accident.

... the Fed Trooper Fed Trooper Fed Trooper had orders to take Avon alive if possible, but the rest of the crew were expendable...?

I'm not sure about the idea of the troopers not recognising any of the crew, especially Avon. In earlier episodes it's established that they are famous (or infamous from the point of view of the Federation) and that Blake was public enemy number one. I would have thought Federation troopers would be exposed to a "most wanted list", including mugshots.

Then again, Klegg and co didn't recognise Avon in "Powerplay", and various Federation personnel didn't even recognise Servalan(!), so who knows... Maybe that's what you get for recruiting a security force from a population you've kept doped up to the eyeballs on suppressants!

So if they didn't know who Avon was, and were just told they were invading a rebel or criminal base, perhaps when they saw Avon standing over the body of someone he'd apparently shot, they held fire in case Avon might be another Federation undercover agent like Arlen.

Or purely as (more) speculation, I had an idea for a never-got-around-to-writing PGP fanfic, where Avon shoots a control console or lighting relay unit or some such thing to cause a distraction before attempting to escape. The troopers allow him to raise his gun because he moves slowly and doesn't seem to be aiming it at any of them....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year since anyone posted here, but I just finished series 4 episode 13 earlier this week.

I found that ending pointless and heartbreaking, to be perfectly honest. It raised so many questions, too, of why all the characters made the choices they did, as has been discussed in this thread. Seems to me that Avon's usual caution was missing in the way he entered the bounty hunters' headquarters.

And why wouldn't Blake test/talk to Tarrant when he first finds him? Why wait till he gets to his headquarters?

Lots of unanswered questions.
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ela wrote:
A year since anyone posted here, but I just finished series 4 episode 13 earlier this week.

I found that ending pointless and heartbreaking, to be perfectly honest. It raised so many questions, too, of why all the characters made the choices they did, as has been discussed in this thread. Seems to me that Avon's usual caution was missing in the way he entered the bounty hunters' headquarters.

And why wouldn't Blake test/talk to Tarrant when he first finds him? Why wait till he gets to his headquarters?

Lots of unanswered questions.

It's thought that Avon went slightly insane after what happened in Rumours of Death (I won't spoil it for you in case you haven't watched it yet) and the rest of the crew, save Vila, were fairly new and use to relying on him. As for Blake, he did do a brief test with Tarrant by leaving his gun and the gems unguarded at the crash. I think his primary goal was to get him back to some place safe.
Ela

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched all the episodes and have started re-watching, actually.

Thought I wouldn't be able to watch it again so soon after seeing how Blake ended, but I am enjoying re-watching so far and with a new perspective.

I've read lots of explanations, not just here. And, yes, Avon's behavior did change after Rumors of Death. But there's a lot that still doesn't make sense.
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than blame it on the obvious, sloppy writing, I'm going to speculate that what the crew went through in the previous month or so threw them off their game. Avon and Vila lost Cally, Avon lost Anna, Vila lost Kerril and was almost killed by Avon, Dayna lost Justin, Tarrant lost Zeeona, and Soolin is on the planet where her parents were murdered. Add to that they had to abandon their base and then their ship was destroyed. Despite how they appeared on the outside they had to have been damaged inside. Just some thoughts.
Ela

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that makes a sort of sense. Not to mention the stress of being on the run from the Federation for goodness knows how long. Eventually things could start to slip...
thunda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider this also, this was a team that over the years built its reputation on ‘getting in fast, hitting hard, and disappearing into thin air.’ Now without a teleport system to bail them out or a ship to retreat to, they’re pretty much just an above average group of thieves “caught with their hands in the pickle jar.” Once they lose Scorpio and realize they’re stranded on a planet full of bounty hunters their only plan is to follow Avon and hope their luck(until this day) continues.
RichardWho

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this episode when it was first shown. I felt then, and still feel now, that in the last few episodes our heroes had suffered so many reversals of fortune that they were running out of steam. Quite simply their luck was running out.
Ela

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it did seem like their luck was running out, but I always hoped that we could end on a better note, with the federation falling apart somehow.
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see it as their luck having run out, but as a matter of the impossible pressures of the situation and their own flaws combining to make them screw up in bigger and bigger ways, until the final disaster came. That's how it seemed with Avon, at least.
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Soolin's professionalism actually works against her near the end of the episode. She fires one shot, hits one trooper, then raises her gun to a neutral position so as to not waste amunition or hit a non-combatant. This would be fine in a normal situation in a closed setting with a known amount of adversaries but with the Federation coming out of the woodwork she might have fared better if she just kept firing at anything that moved even if it meant hitting a friendly.

No matter how many times I watch that ending it still gives me chills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: