Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode C2: Powerplay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
white afro in space

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Episode C2: Powerplay Reply with quote

Seeing a recent Caption Competition picture made me remember a curious observation from a great scene toward the end of Powerplay.

When Avon is leading Klegg up the garden path by setting up a 'trap' for Tarrant, he says:

"All right. Take the magazine out of your gun and give it to me. When I give you the signal fire one shot, then get ready to take him when he comes in."

The manner in which he says it, the calculated cunning, the speed and quiet confidence in his voice all paint a picture for me. Without fail, I get a vision of Avon at a billiard table, cue in hand explaining his latest trick shot:

"All right. I'll strike the white ball so it jumps the black and bounces against this cushion here. The white ball will then impact with these 4 coloured balls here, sinking 3 of them. The fourth ball, the pink one, will collide with the black ball before going into a pocket while the black will come to rest at this corner pocket here, waiting for the next shot."
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conclusion to the story started in Aftermath and the first full episode of Tarrant!! Woo-hoo!!

Okay, so poor old Del gets a lot of stick but I've always had a soft spot for him. This episode establishes himself as an impulsive young man who is always leaping from cause to cause. Like Avon, he is also rather vain. The tension between these two tends to come from Avon's cyncism vs Tarrant's idealism. However, unlike Blake Tarrant's idealism does not have a consistent focus and tends to switch with whatever has caught his attention. Ironically Blake might have been able to give him the focus he needs but Avon simply doesn't care enough to try.

Steven Pacey makes a strong debut with an edgy and unpredictable peformance and...oh screw it, he's really cute! Though for some reason I fancied him more as Deeta in Death Watch...

The Vila/Cally plotline is very good. I find the organ bank idea quite chilling and it's worringly easy to imagine something like this happening in the real world - though probably without Bar and Zee

Michael Keating gives a very strong comic peformance in this one. The scene where's pretending that he's not alone without realising there's a spear at his head is one of the funniest in the whole series. Jan Chapell is a bit more subdued and you can tell she's lost her interest in the character. Jossette and Paul continue to bounce of each other very well indeed. They still seem to be flirting as well. In fact I often wonder why Avon seemed more interested in Cally than Dayna!

The Liberator infrastructure is a bit of a steal from the concealed storage units on the Falcolm in Star Wars, but they are very well lit. The Liberator corridors look more sturdy than usual.

So the changeover is complete and a new crew is ready to explore a changed universe...
Richard1978

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was lucky that the Chengans didn't remove Cally & Vila's teleport bracelets.
inge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Chengans thought the bracelets were jewellery.

Cockroach Boy said:
Quote:

Michael Keating gives a very strong comic peformance in this one. The scene where's pretending that he's not alone without realising there's a spear at his head is one of the funniest in the whole series. Jan Chapell is a bit more subdued and you can tell she's lost her interest in the character. Jossette and Paul continue to bounce of each other very well indeed. They still seem to be flirting as well. In fact I often wonder why Avon seemed more interested in Cally than Dayna!

Because she was a new fresh face?
Those scenes between Avon and Dayna are very enjoyable and convincing.
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Events on the Liberator

They're still in another difficult situation when Dayna and Avon find armed men, apparently six of them, on the liberator. The situation gets very tense between Tarrant and Cleg when he wants to check if their voices can be recognised by Zen. There's a suspicion that Tarrant wasnít being jumpy when he said Avon was going for a weapon and itís as if possibly he doesn't want Cleg to do the test voice test then for some reason. When the first man dies from a knife in the back it seems reasonable to suspect one of the other armed men but, at this point, never Tarrant! After Cleg seems to kill the second man he gets more desperate and it seems Tarrant might have less reason to be concerned about what Cleg could report later. Avon's suggestion that there may be others on board seems a reasonable one; he's often right after all. When Avon is caught and Tarrant explains that he always suspected who he was when he said "Your ship?" it proves he didnít want Cleg to do the voice test. Of course Tarrant has to kill the third man, Harman, who is about to kill Avon so he can use Avonís voice to control the ship. He suddenly shows how ruthless he is when he admits to Avon he killed the other two as well and explains how he only stole a federation uniform and that he's on the Federations most wanted list. Itís not obvious when Tarrant killed the man Cleg thought he had killed. It could even have been before Avon and Dayna came on board (which would explain why we only see six armed men at the start). Tarrant is being shown as more brutal than Avon. When the last three die it's left to Dayna to deal with Cleg showing she is also to be reckoned with.

Avon turns away from the Teleport console as if to show he teleported Vila and Cally aboard, but it could possibly have been Zen following his instructions to search for the old crew.

It's interesting that although Tarrant wanted to use Avonís voice to control the ship Avon seems to have the upper hand again when he tells Tarrant to speak into the computer. Given how they both vie for power from now on this seems to signal Avon as the current winner of all the ďpowerplayĒ.

What I like most about this episode is how the writer weaved this all into the equally interesting events happening to Vila and Cally.
inge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a real pity that the character of Tarrant did not stay as it was when he first boarded Liberator.
At first he is a Federation Captain, then a mercenary and on the run from the federation.
The writers could have used this later to good effect, perhaps Tarrant could be a double agent.
This could have made for some interesting story lines and fireworks between Tarrant and Avon.
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been quite possible for Tarrant to turn out later to be a double agent. He told Cleg one thing and Avon another, who knows what the truth is. I find that what will happen next in Blakes 7 is never easy to predict and that's good.
BabylonRebel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarrant was originally envisioned as an older character called 'the Captain'. He would join The Liberator crew for a few episodes, and betray them halfway through the series.
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inge wrote:
It is a real pity that the character of Tarrant did not stay as it was when he first boarded Liberator.
At first he is a Federation Captain, then a mercenary and on the run from the federation.
The writers could have used this later to good effect, perhaps Tarrant could be a double agent.
This could have made for some interesting story lines and fireworks between Tarrant and Avon.

ooo, interesting idea!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fanfic anyone?
boroboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good dialogue writing here:
1. When Avon cleverly asks "is this the way?" trying to show it is not his ship.
2. When Dayne "forgets" the instructions from Clegg when speaking to Zen.
But then an oddity:
3. Why are Zee and Bar surprised that Vila speaks their language? The low-teks speak the same language when they talk to Vila. What the??

Why does the hospital ship treat superficial injuries if they are just going to harvest organs later? Makes no sense to me.

We don't see how Dayne got overpowered? At the end we see she is a match for a trained veteran federation trooper. And she was armed and so could have shot the troopers that came for her. So what happened?

One last remark: I sense the "hand of Nation" here in a script where the people on the planet are split into low and high tek. We see this in deliverance and power also (and I bet in other episodes I can't recall). Feels like formulaic writing. I think it may have reflected the times... in the 70's there was a "back to the earth" movement and this was reflected in TV - with shows like "The Good Life" - although Tom and Barbara's neighbours don't actually hunt them! As an aside I find it much harder to watch TGL after too much Roobarb and Custard. I just can't get Richard Brier's voice from the cartoon to line up with growing potatoes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: