Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Blake's 7 Fighting Abilities
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Blake's 7 Fighting Abilities Reply with quote

Coming soon!
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before we begin let me state that I understand that Blake's 7 is not The Matrix and the actors/actresses are not trained fighters so I am judging by intent rather than occurrence.

All crew members will be given a rating in:

Strength - Pertaining to combat

Speed - Pertaining to combat

Agility - Pertaining to combat

Skill - Using all limbs, knowing how and where to strike, etc.

Stamina - Endurance

Defense - Blocking, dodging, etc.

Constitution - Ability to take and recover from a blow, etc.

and

Intangibles - This can boost or reduce the overall rating such as courage or lack of.

As always any suggestions, criticisms, and comments welcome.
pna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to this

Are you going to rank them first and show them in ascending order of ability or present them as you do it?
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pna wrote:
Looking forward to this

Are you going to rank them first and show them in ascending order of ability or present them as you do it?

I actually wasn’t going to go in any particular order but now that you mention it, going in ascending order would be best. As always, everything will be open for debate and change.

Also, I neglected an important catagory.

All crew members will be given a rating in:

Offense - Agressiveness, amount of strikes, variety of attacks, etc.

Strength - Pertaining to combat

Speed - Pertaining to combat

Agility - Pertaining to combat

Skill - Using all limbs, knowing how and where to strike, etc.

Stamina - Endurance

Defense - Blocking, dodging, etc.

Constitution - Ability to take and recover from a blow, etc.

and

Intangibles - This can boost or reduce the overall rating such as courage or lack of.
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oo, this looks interesting ... Even Vila had a few moments, like when he quickly disarmed Arlen in "Blake", or when he clobbered the Fed Trooper with his picnic hamper in "Seek Locate Destroy"

Given that Vila's technique was to lull his opponent into a false sense of security with his apparent babbling, maybe there should be an extra category for guile or cunning or something? Unless you wanna include that as one of the "intangibles"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futsie wrote:
Oo, this looks interesting ... Even Vila had a few moments, like when he quickly disarmed Arlen in "Blake", or when he clobbered the Fed Trooper with his picnic hamper in "Seek Locate Destroy"

Given that Vila's technique was to lull his opponent into a false sense of security with his apparent babbling, maybe there should be an extra category for guile or cunning or something? Unless you wanna include that as one of the "intangibles"

You must have read my mind . Yes, it will be under intangibles and both Vila and Jenna will probably lead in guile. Gan and Avon will receive credit for fighting multiple opponents at once, Blake will receive credit for fighting an armed opponent, Tarrant will receive slight credit for turning a foreign object into a weapon, etc.
Below is a sample of what it will look like.

Standard Federation Trooper
(in full gear, unarmed)

Strength : 55

Speed : 50

Agility : 50

Skill : 55

Stamina : 55

Offense : 55

Defense : 55

Constitution : 55

Intangibles +2

(Dicipline)

Miscellaneous -5
helmet should lessen blows to the head and face +5
helmet restricts vision -10

Total : 427
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major advatage - Training

Major disadvantage - Inexperience

Summary : The trooper is the fist of the Federation. From putting down revolts to stopping invasions, they are the "boots on the ground". As with all militaries they must receive a certain amount of hand to hand training, although with their technology it probably isn't extensive. Section Leaders would probably be rated higher while officers lower.
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about ready to start . I made a slight change with the rating system, I'll explain how I'm doing it.
Strength, Speed, Skill, Agility, Stamina, Constitution, Offense, and Defense will be based on a 0 - 100 scale.
An average Federation citizen (undrugged) in good physical shape (non athlete) male = 50, female 40
(females would probably be rated higher than males in agility)

Intangibles - based on a -50 to +50 scale
An average Federation citizen would be "0"

Miscellaneous - based on a -50- to +50 scale.
Something out of the ordinary that should be pointed out.

If anyone has any changes please let me know soon.
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here we go. Who has the least amount of fighting ability?

Vila Restal

Strength : 45

Speed : 45

Agility : 30

Skill : 40

Stamina : 30

Offense : 35

Defense : 30

Constitution : 35

Intangibles : +20

+40 Guile
-20 Courage

Miscellaneous : +10
Ability to use foreign objects

Total : 320

Major advatage - Deception

Major disadvantage - Fear

Summary : Vila has a great deal of intelligence and cleverness which is a huge advantage in combat but his fear of getting hurt neutralizes most of that and makes him a good distraction but a poor warrior. His innocent appearance and demeanor combined with his smooth talking allows him to lull opponents into thinking he is harmless. Against an average adversary with their guard lowed his limited ability is usually enough to immobilize them but in a one on one situation his craftiness would not be enough.
As a child I don’t think Vila had many fights, he probably either talked his way out of them or befriended one of the bigger, stronger kids. When he grew older he most likely concentrated on mastering his craft instead of learning to defend himself and avoided sports and exercise for fear of injury, especially to his hands. That combined with his devotion to hedonism prevented him from building up his stamina which I put as less than an average Federation citizen.

Note : Vila does a nice move disarming and disabling Arlen in Blake, which I suspect he learned from Dayna.
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You were born for vengeance"
- Lady Snowblood (movie)

So, who comes in next to last? Keep reading.

Soolin

Strength : 40

Speed : 45

Agility : 50

Skill : 50

Stamina : 45

Offense : 45

Defense : 45

Constitution : 45

Intangibles +10

Guile

Miscellaneous +5
Concealed weapon

Total : 380

Major advatage - Confidence

Major disadvantage - Size

Summary Yeah, I know what you’re thinking, how can I rate Soolin’s fighting abilitiy if we have never seen her fight? Well, I’m taking some liberties but I’m basing my ratings on what we have seen of the character and what we know of her background. She was an orphan girl who survived on a planet full of scum which would suggest a great deal of mental and probably physical toughness as well. She was trained by the best, or rather second best, so I assumed that included a certain amount of hand to hand combat. She has a quick draw and excellent hand eye coordination which places her above a normal Federation female. She thinks quick, is highly intelligent, and doesn’t get intimidated by alpha males which gives her an advantage over Vila in a one on one situation. Being a professional.. ‘something’ she most likely concentrated on honing her gun skills rather than her fighting talents which I believe slipped a bit since leaving GP and hooking up with Dorian, but are still above average. With her intelligence, patience and discipline I see her letting her opponent get in close where her short reach and legs would not be a disadvantage, waiting for an opening, and then striking at a vital point.

Well, the first two were easy enough, though some people might question the order, now comes the hard part. Who’s next? Stay tuned.
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

”Though the sex to which I belong is considered weak you will nevertheless find me a rock that bends to no wind”
- Elizabeth I

The first two were easy but now the point totals are starting to get closer. Who’s after Soolin? Keep reading.

Cally

Strength : 35

Speed : 60

Agility : 55

Stamina : 55

Offense : 70

Defense : 45

Intangibles +5

Guile

Total : 425

Major advatage - Composure

Major disadvantage - Weight

Summary
Prefers open hand strikes to punches, picks her spots, doesn’t rely on strength but rather hitting vital organs and nerve centers. Doesn’t get rattled by larger opponents, probably never fought anyone her own size so uses opponent’s weight against him. She doesn’t have much meat or muscle on that thin frame of hers but by focusing and concentrating her strikes are deadly if given an opening. Might have the quickest hands on the Liberator and is one of the few crew members that can kill with one blow. A bit limited in her offense being that she only uses hands, I would have loved to see her use those long legs of hers with some kicks. Doesn’t retreat, only forward. Can’t take much punishment so she unleashes her attack before her opponent can start his, best defense is a good offense. I don’t know if she had any fights as a child, she seems more the type to talk things out rather than resort to violence. I believe all Auronar have to undergo a certain amount of mental training as children in order to keep their telepathic abilities under control so I’m assuming they would also need some type of physical training as well, like the equivalent of yoga, tai chi, etc., to have a good mind/body balance. Somewhere along the way she picked up martial arts skills, which she may have learned in the Auron military, if they have one. In a face to face fight with a Fed trooper she should be able to win or hold her own but against an experienced fighter like Jarvik or Gun Sar she probably wouldn’t fare so well.

Although she has courage it only seems to apply to human adversaries and not giant lizards so no extra points there. I gave her some guile points for pretending to be still unconscious in Seek - Locate - Destroy though.

Who managed to edge out Cally? Find out next week.
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

”I always find a way. I am the thing that monsters have nightmares about”
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer (tv series)

Who beat out the Auron Amazon, the telepathic titan, the communications commando? Let's find out.

Jenna

Strength : 40

Speed : 50

Agility : 70

Skill : 60

Stamina : 45

Offense : 70

Defense : 50

Intangibles +10

Guile

Miscellaneous +5
Fighting while restrained

Total : 445

Major advantage - Appearance

Major disadvantage - Physique

Summary : Jenna has had a wide variety of opponents ranging from humans to aliens and also a mutoid and a robot, and she has survived all engagements. She came out looking pretty and never even messed up her hair. Her adversaries mistake her pretty looks for a helpless female and before they have a chance to settle into their offense they’re drawn into a pub fight. Opponents seem to think that if they can grab her they can defeat her but she’s developed good counter measures such as kicks and flips. In fact she might be the best close quarters fighter out of all of them. Likes to strike the mid section as a finishing move. Might have the best kicks out of the entire crew with rib crushing effectiveness that forces the air out of her foe’s lungs. I’m guessing that Jenna grew up with older brothers and learned to roughhouse with them. Probably got tested young by other girls but once they found out she fights like a boy they realized what we know here in the States, “Don’t mess with the crazy girl”. I’m sure as she got older, being a smuggler, she also picked up some fighting tips. Since she spends most of her time piloting spaceships I don’t believe she would have good stamina or a strong constitution, maybe a bit above a normal woman because of the company she kept. Her main weakness seems to be that she can’t take a hit, anywhere, which is a pretty big weakness. Not really deadly if unarmed but still dangerous. I gave her extra points for holding her own against a mutoid while being partially restrained.
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who narrowly edged out Jenna? Let's find out.

”I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong...”
- Ecclesiastes 9:11 (King James Version)

Tarrant

Strength : 50

Speed : 55

Agility : 55

Stamina : 50

Offense : 60

Defense : 60

Constitution : 55

Intangibles +5

Guile

Miscellaneous +5
Foreign object

Total : 450

Major advantage - Training

Major disadvantage - Overconfidence

Summary :
Tarrant may be the most fundamentally sound fighter of the entire crew. He uses all four limbs, is able to fight from a set or moving stance, has good Federation training, and can take some punishment. May be the only member that knows how to duck a punch. Decent speed with his kicks, nobody expects a tall lanky guy to use kicks, but unlike Jenna’s his are meant as a setup to a punch. Takes advantage of his opponent’s mistakes, a guard too high or too low, a sloppy strike, and Tarrant unleashes a devastating counter attack. Likes to focus on the mid-section but will take head shot if it’s open. Uses combinations to finish his opponent, no nerve strikes or vital organ blows, strictly old school with hooks and crosses. Able to improvise if the situation calls for it but is more effective when sticking to the basics, a bit lacking in the creativity department.
I’m guessing he learned how to handle himself at an early age because with that attitude and mouth he most likely got into a lot of fights. When he joined the Federation he received formal training but being a pilot it wasn’t on the level of a standard trooper. After he turned freebooter his skills increased to the point where he is above the average Fed trooper. Not a great fighter but sticks to the basics, not making errors while waiting for his adversary to commit one and capitalizing off of it. Basically he reacts to what is being thrown at him and counters rather than having a solid game plan. Better against shorter foes where he can best use his superior reach. I gave him a few guile points for posing as a Federation officer.
BEAST
Forum Hooligan

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoying reading this so far! thanks!

E-THUGGING
E-PIMPING
E-BEEFING
SINCE 2002
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, another great thread, Thunda

I reckon Cally should get a few extra points for her intuition and telepathic ability tho Yes Smiley

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEAST wrote:
enjoying reading this so far! thanks!

Futsie wrote:
Yep, another great thread, Thunda

I reckon Cally should get a few extra points for her intuition and telepathic ability tho Yes Smiley

Thanks guys, glad you're enjoying it.

I'm only giving or subtracting points for qualities that would influence a fight rather than a mission. Although Cally has never tried it she might be able to telepathically tell an opponent "look behind you!" in order to get a quick strike in but I'm thinking the concentration needed would cancel out any positive advantage,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: