Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode B12: The Keeper
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's ever an award for Best Mad Cackling Crone, my money is on Tara to win it! She's the Eileen Way of B7.

Still, I'm not sure who would win in a shout off between Bruce Purchase and Brain Blessed!

Does anyone else keep expecting the old Charl in the cellar to say 'It's...'?
dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also have been a penal colony like Cygnus Alpha.

Or you could go 'Star Trek' and say that the original inhabitants moved there from Earth because they desired to live a gothic lifestyle.
Richard1978

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another B7 episode with a star of an 80s sitcom, Shaun Curry was Bert in the "One idea from a Steptoe & Son episode stretched into a full series" Divided We Stand.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the penal colony theory, although I'll admit that The Keeper is an episode I try not to think too much about. I'd rather forget that I ever saw it.
boroboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Janov, lets see if I can rehabilitate this episode for you:
The Good:
The starting exchange on the Liberator about about how power corrupts. This is why Blake could NEVER win. He couldn't think of how to replace the power structures necessary for the "civilization" represented by the federated worlds without having people in positions of power that would corrupt them.
The tying together of brain related ideas: Gola's brain surgery and the implanted message in the fool + Tara's "visions" - it's a fine line between "magic" and brain surgery and leaving brain prints lying around where any fool can find them.
The "old man" in the basement is the real charl - how fleeting is power...
Tara manipulates EVERYONE (including our heroes) to get her way - i.e., to be in charge on Goth.

The Bad:
why is Servelan even there. Its so unnecessary. She adds nothing to the story.
Jennas manipulates Gola so easily. Men are so dumb.

The Ugly:
As you and others say - no another "primitive tribe". Its such lazy writing.
Why does Blake "liberate" Rod. maybe Rod is a child murderer and the goths are imprisoning him for his appalling acts. It could just be unpaid parking tickets, but Blake doesn't know this. I *know* this is just continuing Blake's penchant for letting prisoners free (we are never given any reason to believe that the other prisoners on the London are not guilty of their crimes).
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boroboy wrote:

why is Servelan even there. Its so unnecessary. She adds nothing to the story.
Jennas manipulates Gola so easily. Men are so dumb.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought much about all the instances of power and manipulation in this episode til you mentioned them ... Probably coz I saw this episode as one that I just had to grin and bear

But back to the power thing, maybe Servalan is there to be manipulated by Travis, despite supposedly being the one in power out of the two of them... which parallels Tara and Gola's relationship...

Even The Fool and Vila get in on the the power-struggle-via-manipulation act a bit...

I agree that Gola seems a pushover for Jenna, and some of those moments are a little cringeworthy...
Then again, Gola had his brain tinkered with by Lurgen (a "cure" for the wound which caused "terrible pains") -- maybe Lurgen (for his own reasons, or at Tara's request ) added a bit of programming to make Gola more easy to deal with?
Anyway, Gola certainly serves to show someone who's having all their strings pulled by others, despite having a leader's title.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I shall take her to paaaiiirr-boooonnnnndd!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: