Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

More than 78,000 people apply for one-way trip to Mars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Other Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE DOCTOR ALT 8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: More than 78,000 people apply for one-way trip to Mars Reply with quote

by Staff Writers
Amsterdam, Netherlands (UPI) May 11, 2013

disclaimer: image is for illustration purposes only
More than 78,000 people have applied for a chance to go on a one-way trip to create a permanent community on the planet Mars, officials said.

The Dutch company Mars One launched its online application process on April 22, in an effort to find four people to send to Mars to create a permanent colony there in 2023, Space.com reported.

"With 78,000 applications in two weeks, this is turning out to be the most desired job in history," Mars One CEO and co-founder Bas Lansdorp said in a statement. "These numbers put us right on track for our goal of half a million applicants."

So far, applications have come in from more than 120 countries, with many coming from the United States, which submitted 17,324 applications, CNN reported.

"Mars One is a mission representing all humanity, and its true spirit will be justified only if people from the entire world are represented. I'm proud that this is exactly what we see happening," Lansdorp said.

None of the four people who will be selected for the journey will ever return home, Lansdorp said at a press conference.

The one-way trip also cuts on costs for Mars One, which has yet to overcome the obstacle of funding, CNN said.

The colony's budget is "about $6 billion," Lansdorp said. "The $6 billion is for the first crew that goes there."

Mar One hopes to send another crew in 2025.

Applications, and a $38 registration fee, will be accepted until August 31.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
white afro in space

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what the new planetary colony needs, a group of angry loners with delusions of grandeur
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elon Musk, founder of Paypal and SpaceX, is also interested in landing people on Mars but he wants it to be a round trip. His company has the backing of billionaires, former NASA personnel, and builds reusable spacecraft.

As happy as I am that I may live to see a human step foot on Mars part of me is a little leery at having corporations attempting to dominate space. I've seen James Bond movies that start like this.

"I'm confident at this point that it can be done," Elon Musk told "Nightline" in an interview at SpaceX headquarters in Los Angeles. "I think we'll be able to send, probably, the first people to Mars in roughly 12 to 15 years. That's my estimate."

Musk, who made his billions as an Internet entrepreneur, wants to bring Silicon Valley ingenuity to a space exploration process that, until recently, has been something only governments tried to tackle.

He entered the space race in 2010 with his company's Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon capsule, reusable spacecraft built with the goal of taking astronauts into space and returning them safely to Earth.

Musk said he is aware he has competitors in this new space race -- one reason why SpaceX does not patent any of the top-secret technology it creates.

"The rockets we're building right now could certainly send probes to Mars, like the Mars rovers and that kind of thing," he said. "But the rockets we hope to build in the future are the ones that could take people and cargo to Mars and establish a Martian base."

And he has big plans for Mars -- not just taking people there, but making it possible for people to thrive there and even establish businesses.

"Mars is the only place in the solar system where it's possible for life to become multi-planetarian," Musk said. "We could make Mars like Earth…it's more than our life raft, it's like backing up the biosphere."

One of the biggest challenges of colonizing the red planet is making the trip affordable for the average American, he said, which is "extremely difficult."

"We know it's possible to get there," Musk said. "You would be moving to Mars, so a round trip ticket, it has to be no more than half a million dollars, so roughly, a middle-class house in California, and at this point, I would say, I know it's possible."

He said the key to conquering the cost barrier is designing a reusable rocket.

By DAVID WRIGHT

Entire Interview -> http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/elon-musk-put-man-mars-roughly-12-15/story?id=16940287

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Other Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: