Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Redemption 15 - 20-22 February 2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Conventions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Redemption 15 - 20-22 February 2015 Reply with quote

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
A Multimedia Science Fiction Convention
http://www.smof.com/redemption

The first price rise will be at the end of April. Membership is currently 55 for an adult weekend and this will go up to 65 from 1 May.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder to everyone who plans to book for Redemption 15
but hasn't yet done so, the first price rise is less than two days away at the
end of April.

Membership is currently 55 for an adult weekend
and this will go up to 65 from 1 May.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just a reminder for those who haven't joined Redemption 15 yet, the adult price for the full weekend is due to go up at the end of August from 65 to 70 (it will be 75 on the door).

We will be having a table at next weekend's Nine Worlds convention in London, so if you are going that would be a good opportunity to join. Also, we will be looking for volunteers to help us staff the table at the weekend. If you can just do an hour that would be appreciated.

Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it is now less than a week away, a reminder for those who haven't joined Redemption 15 yet, the adult price for the full weekend is due to go up at the end of August from 65 to 70 (it will be 75 on the door).

pna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who posts in this forum planning to attend Redemption 15 ?
RichardWho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall be there, as of course will Steve R.
pna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard - considering attending with my almost 12 year old son.
RichardWho

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope to see you there PNA. Tracey-Jane used to bring her son when he was that age.
RichardWho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again Steve R and his crew did us proud. I thoroughly enjoyed! Louise was there , but as she no longer seems to post on this forum, I've taken the liberty of copying her write up she posted on Facebook;-

""Lesser Robots and Mini Skirts" - Redemption 2015 Con Report by Louise Robinson

FRIDAY

Mini Skirt
Tried to keep the baggage to a minimum this time after a painful walk from the car park last time, the mini skirt was dusted off and happily packed... it only comes out every 2 years... That's the great thing about Redemption, you can get away with wearing anything you like and no-one will look at you funny.

Arrival
We arrived at the Britannia at about 3pm after an adventurous journey down. Within a few minutes we were greeted with some familiar faces including Richard Who and David Ulicsak. We also caught sight of Judith Proctor practising for the ceillidh which got me excited about the events coming up this evening.

Room
We had a surprisingly decent room this year, was warm, looked newly painted and the carpet was mostly clean which was a HUGE advance on the carpet in the room we had last time which looked like a scene from True Blood or Dexter with massive splats of a dubious dark coloured substance all over it gasp emoticon

Food
Mostly satisfied with the room we headed off to Nandos ... another highlight of being in Coventry as we can actually eat most things from the menu there, we normally struggle eating out due to us both having different and numerous food intolerences. But Nandos has lots of yummy options... including thieir minty chilli peas... Wow awesome!

Panel - Back Stories in TV Shows
We got to our first panel at 6pm to see Richard Who on the panel about back stories in TV shows. It was amazing how many TV shows were mentioned in the space of a few minutes. We watch a lot of TV but clearly nowhere near enough to have all the knowledge of the panellists! Obviously need to watch a LOT more ready for 2017!

Opening Ceremony
Then it was time for a cuppa and to get ready for the opening ceremony. Eventually, we found our Redemption gang Richard Who, Kayta and Martin with whom much hugs were exchanged, not forgetting veteran Redemption-goer Bagpuss, who got on with the task of building our spaceship for the chaos modelling challenge whilst we watched clips of last year`s convention on the big screen. It was surprising to see a pic of me wearing glasses on the dancefloor 2 years ago. I no longer need them and so I wondered how I'd managed to keep them on what with all the air guitar craziness going on!

Og
Was great to meet the committee again and get to see who was running for Ruler of the Universe this year, I couldn't help but start a quick "Og, Og, Og" chant at this time grin emoticon Shame that The Magician was missing again for the 2nd year (get well soon Chris!)

Gentleman Justice
No time to stay for the pub quiz this year as we needed to get to Pine for Maddy`s Gentleman Justice book launch where we met the Magnificent Maddy herself for big hugs and book signings. Also caught up with fellow Air Band Members including the Awesome Jon and the Lovely Vic. There was a feeling of much happiness to be with like-minded friends again for more silliness and awesomeness.

Tai Chi

Whilst Maddy was busy entertaining her guests, in came Alex McLintock who I was pleased to have got to meet properly this year after failing to recognise him last time, and we went off to show each other our best tai chi moves. Embarrassingly I seemed to have completely forgotten my Form, and could only do the first few moves rather poorly, but it didn't matter as just being there and interacting with friends was fantastic and it was all too exciting to concentrate anyway. Hubby Brian was watching whilst discussing martial arts with Chris Stocks, another enthusiastic ceilidh/disco gang member.

Ceilidh
There was a smaller crowd this year for the ceilidh, but we made up for it with boisterous "Woos" and "Yays" and there was much frolicking and laughter. I don't know where he got it from but I have to applaud the energy of hubby Brian who was up for every dance, leaping around the room like a man possessed, but it did help to keep up my energy levels too and I only got to sit out for one of the dances. Judith Proctor and Chris Stocks were their usual energetic selves bringing an extra something to the dancing with their huge enthusiasm and playfulness.

We were all awarded some slithy toves for our efforts and then it was time to take the remaining few hours of the night to get some sleep ready for a big day of activities coming up on the Saturday.

SATURDAY

Brekky
Breakfast was superb, with a large choice of noms available, including soy milk and gluten free cereals, and plenty of it, fantastic bit of fuel to keep us going.

Tai Chi
Had a date with Alex McLintock to keep, and so we enjoyed Ian Sewell's tai chi class, chilling out with some Qi Gong and then one of my favourite moves "White Ape Gathers Fruit" - felt all light and tingly afterwards and ready for a day of action.

Smartphone
Then a quick change and off to learn about smartphones with the lovely Tommy Wareing who demonstrated that technology can't always be trusted to work when you wanted it to! (I felt his pain when the monitor initially refused to respond!). We did eventually get the Redemption Programme up and running on our phones and got introduced to a few new pieces of tech. Will have to investigate Dropbox as a way of sharing our Redemption videos with friends, was an overall interesting talk.

Panel - Totally Gay
Redemption wouldn't be Redemption without attending at least one slash panel with the Eclectic 21 crew, this time it was discussing what would happen if pairings in mainstream shows actually did get together. After reading a lot of fan-fic in the past, I'd not really thought about what if it ACTUALLY happened... so that got the brain cogs whirring into action with some interesting results. Though I still think the Anakin/Palpatine relationship is canon as there was a lot of visual sexual tension between them (if you look really carefully!) and they DID end up together at the end of Revenge of the Sith in one form or another wink emoticon grin emoticon

Tribble Knitting
I wanted to pop in briefly to check out the Tribble Knitting session after last year attempting to knit "dalek spots", but the room was full of happy knitters, and I'd already managed to catch TJ to say a quick hello earlier.

Dealers Room
I missed seeing Richard Proctor this year in the dealer's room and mostly missed getting one of his enthusiastic hugs, though I did manage to catch Judith Proctor for a squeezy hug and asked her to pass one on to Richard for me. There was a large display of merchandise - pens, bookmarkers, mugs, drink mats and offers to print any picture on them, which was rather tempting. My friend Kayta couldn't resist when she saw a Misha Collins pic and so had to buy a bookmarker and mug with him on - can't say I blame her, and I'll no doubt get visiting rights to it next time I head over to hers for tea smile emoticon I was very tempted with a very striking photo of Eric from True Blood, but managed to resist the power of his gaze, though only just!

Panel to Panel - Part one: Gender in Ancillary Justice and other SF
Next up was a crazy sesh of back to back panels, starting with "Gender in Ancillary Justice and other SF" with the lovely Spacefall and friends. I'd not read the book, so Hubby Brian gave me a quick 10 minute overview of the story which really helped a lot when it came to the discussion which was fascinating, especially loved Nat's knowledge and obsession of the use of pronouns, could have stayed and listened to this panel for much, much longer, but up next was a very important event which I'd been waiting 2 years for.... the Air Band Rehearsals!

AIR BAND REHEARSALS - AND MY REASON FOR EXISTING

Panel to Panel - Part two: Air band rehearsals (with Brian, Maddy, Jon, Lizzit and Babylon 5 lady .. sorry don't know your name, but love ya!)

An Insane number of Air Band have been uploaded to my Darkside_Doris Livejournal post to save everyone getting them on their feeds ... but if anyone has Livejournal and wants to see them, just leave a comment and I'll add you to the photos group smile emoticon

VIDEOS FROM AIR GUITAR REHEARSALS TO FOLLOW (takes forever to upload!)

1) E21 Airband does: Ace of Spades

2) E21 Airband does: Basket Case

3) E21 Airband does: Breaking the Law

4) E21 Airband does: Run to the Hills/Run from Bad Things* tongue emoticon

5) E21 Airband does:Pinball Wizard

Run To The Hills

White man came across the sea
He brought us pain and misery
He killed our tribes killed our creed
He took our game for his own need
We fought him hard we fought him well
Out on the plains we gave him hell
But many came too much for Cree
Oh will we ever be set free?
Riding through dust clouds and barren wastes
Galloping hard on the plains
Chasing the redskins back to their holes
Fighting them at their own game
Murder for freedom the stab in the back
Women and children are cowards attack
Run to the hills, run for your lives
Soldier blue in the barren wastes
Hunting and killing their game
Raping the women and wasting the men
The only good Indians are tame
Selling them whiskey and taking their gold
Enslaving the young and destroying the old

Firstly, an apology to Lizzit and Maddy for being so "in the zone" that I wasn't answering their questions about the lyrics in a sensible way and so they ended up singing* "Run from Bad Things" instead of the actual lyric, then when the lovely Jon tried to explain the plot of the song and looked at me for confirmation, I simply called out "I don't care" rather unpolitely in his face... how rude! gasp emoticon I can't believe I did that! Sorry Jon!

I was in my own little Iron Maiden world at the time - I could explain this by the fact that I had this song played over and over again to me by my brother when I was a child, and it was either a case of kill my brother, or learn all the song words and join in... the second option seemed much less messy - yet it's still no excuse to abuse my band mates... and I only noticed I'd done this when watching the video back afterwards! I was so trying not to be "in your face" with anyone this year with my over-excitement... I don't get out much! *seeks forgiveness*

Panel to Panel - Part three: Why are fans prone to obsessive collecting
Hubby Brian was on the panel for this, together with Richard Who, Alex and Ming who I thought were all very interesting individuals and again could have stayed lots longer to chat more. Alex started us off with a brave move... to invite my hubby to talk philosophy! Normally when this occurs, four hours have passed and you realise he is still philosophising!... wink emoticon There seemed to be many reasons why people collected and many different types of collections - Ming's Cuff Link collection came up a couple of times, as well as people wanting to collect the whole set of something - one of the most "dangerous" ones to collect seemed to be collectable card games where you had to buy a lot of packs to get the rare ones and having to spend a lot of effort seeking them out and trading with others. The idea of hoarding versus collecting came up, and it appeared that if it seemed like "hard work" to sort out your collection then it may be more of a hoard than a collection, whereas if you actually enjoyed sorting through your collection, like Alex enjoyed with his lego stash, then this was perhaps more of a collection. Personally I just like "having stuff" smile emoticon

Minty Chilli Peas
Then it was that time again to go and re-fuel on more minty chilli peas!

Missed events: Morris dancing workshop and The Bechdel Test
We'd just got back from dinner when Judith caught us and invited us to the Morris Dancing Workshop, we loved it last year, but as we were just too full of minty peas, had to sadly decline and go and rest for a few hours to recover a little from the morning's activities. Hoped to get to The Bechdel Test too, but again needed the extra rest in order to be on top form for the evening's planned activities.

Hello Kitty and Super Spikiness
Just after the fancy dress session, we got nabbed by the lovely Gina Pink Dormouse/Stevie Carrol who was as Super Spikey as ever! There was a lovely conversation on Hello Kitty appreciation and showing of HK earrings and HK guitar t-shirts, and then Gina used her endless charm to convince us to take the parts of Narrator and Robot in The Man of Iron reading on Sunday... Who could say no to the sexy, super spikey Gina... certainly not me!

SATURDAY NIGHT DISCO!
Well, what a disco! This was a whole event in itself, let alone all the other wonderful panels at Redemption. I have to say that Marwan did a fab job of keeping us all up and dancing with a great range of rock music and 80's songs.

Air Guitarists
I was half way down the stairs to the disco when I heard MY song being played, so I had to do a quick runner onto the dancefloor to catch the last few versus of "Living on a Prayer", phew, made it! Then the rockin' Jem Ward appeared, requested us some Status Quo and we rocked out to "Down Down". And all was well in the world again! grin emoticon

Prince Charming
Had to let out a huge "Yay" when this song came on, then automatically went into my Prince Charming dance - I convinced Jon to join me in the Adam Ant type strut and it was beginning to catch on. Jon looked behind him and realised that people had started to join us in a long line of strutting Prince Charmings, and he panicked a bit then pushed me ahead of him to lead the dance... I couldn't let everyone down, so marched ahead wailing (in)appropriately to the chants and was amazed to see the most massive line of peeps behind us all following in a long snaketrain effect... most excellent fun!

It's Raining Men v. Beethoven
Another highlight of the disco was my hubby Brian, who loves his Beethoven and other classical tunes, and really not a fan of anything disco, yet there he was like a trooper dancing along to It's Raining Men with the rest of us! Gotta love him for getting in there and giving it a go!

Glamoured by the Glamorous Maddy Marsh
It was like a scene from True Blood - The Glamorous Maddy Marsh got rather excited by a certain song (I still don't know what it was... Maddy?) Not many peeps on the dancefloor at the time, so Maddy reached out and summoned me onto the dancefloor. I was well knackered by this time, but something in her glare made me rise up and obey! I received a serious chastising for still living in the 80s and not knowing the "more recent" song currently playing... but not wanting to upset my Maker, I learned the lyrics quick and was soon singing along which seemed to delight the excited Maddy who grabbed me and lifted me up into the air in one of those moments which kind of felt very appropriate smile emoticon

Disco/Ceilidh/Penguin Dancing
Big Yay to Lizzit and Chris Stocks for their enthusiastic disco moves, ceilidh and Penguin dancing! You were both brilliant fun throughout the night!

The Star Trek Guy who'd "Got the Power"
A big yay and thumbs up to the enthusiasm of the guy in the Star Trek (Kirk?) uniform at the disco who responded very politely to us shoving air microphones in his face to sing "I've got the Power" all through the song... Star Trek Man - You Waz Awesome!!!

SUNDAY

Woke up with surprisingly less of a neck ache than expected, though did have rather painful feet which had taken a huge beating over the past two days. As we had to be out of the hotel by 11am, it was either rush around and get stressed, or miss out on tai chi, get some extra kip in and take it easy with the packing and taking bags to the car. It was a shame to miss out on the tai chi and my second date with Alex, but I ended up sending my apologies to Alex for Tai Chi and going for the less stressful option which proved to be a good idea.

Jonathan Green and fighting fantasy childhood memories
We went to see Jonathan Green's Guest Talk which took me back to my childhood when he mentioned all the Fighting Fantasy books that I'd read and still have in my collection. He also mentioned some upcoming books - the Shark Punk one stood out to me particularly, and I'll certainly be on the look out for that. Managed to grab Jon and Vic for a quick catch up on their condition after the previous night, as well as more hugs smile emoticon

Snog with Og
Did some random wondering around the various rooms in a bit of a blur, stopping at Ops to pull Steve Rogerson into the corridor for a quick snog and cuddle :O)

Tea with friends smile emoticon
It was fantastic to catch up and chat with friends over a cuppa in between panels. I got to sit down with Jon and Vic, Richard Who, Kayta and Martin, hubby Brian and lots of hot tea from the bar...! Had some interesting discussions on gaming groups, lack of sleep and life in general as well as lots of hugs from Kayta's Apocryphal "Who Mee". I was all bouncy and happy after this, as I don't get to see like-minded friends very often, so loved every second of this!

Also caught up with David Ulicsak who showed us a demo of a card game which was like an advanced version of snap... but was surprising difficult to spot the similar shapes, though that could be just due to lack of sleep!

Ruler of the Universe Hustings/Og Love
Really liked the Joker's speeches, manic laughter and costume - would have probably voted for him, if I wasn't still in love with Og, who got my vote again this year.

Man of Iron script Reading
Managed to stay alive long enough to get to the Man of Iron script reading to take my part as Lesser Robot whilst hubby Brian narrated and told us what to do.

I seemed to get increasingly into my new Lesser Robot character and was soon having far too much fun stomping around the stage lusting over the Gorgeous Awesome Robot Gabor!

Highlights include being instructed by my hubby, as narrator, to "Grapple" with Gabor - the lovely Gina - (who I've since decided I have a secret crush on... Shh!) and getting a bit overexcited by Her Superspikiness and mostly molesting her until the Narrator reminded me I was supposed to "Grapple" only, not anything more pervy.

Also enjoyed playing with David and Lesley on the floor, dragging each other around... for which I gained some lovely elbow grazes as a bonus. I seemed to get blown up several times as well as getting picked on by everyone, including getting a beating off Soolin so my Lesser Robot was forced into giving everyone a stern frown whilst letting out a loud "Owwwwwwww!"

It was a shame to miss the Closing Ceremony, but we decided it was best to leave whilst we could still walk and drive home, so we texted our goodbyes and headed for home. The mini skirt is now neatly packed away ready for 2017.

Thanks to everyone for all the fun! xxxxxxxx

Louise Robinson
Darkside_Doris (Live Journal)
And more recently The Lesser Robot"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Conventions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: