Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

US remake of Blake's 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: US remake of Blake's 7 Reply with quote

Details about the US remake of Blake's 7:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a471203/blakes-7-us-remake-gets-13-one-hour-episodes.html
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glacion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The press release: http://www.fremantlemedia.com/news/news-detail/13-04-08/FremantleMedia_International_Launches_Georgeville_TV%E2%80%99s_Remake_of_Cult_Series_Blake_s_7_To_MIPTV_Buyers.aspx

I think it's great they're pressing ahead with a new series, in whatever form, but I do have reservations. First off, Martin Campbell as director is fine by me. I am discouraged however that it's primarily being made for an American market and that its writer is Joe Pokaski. I get the feeling they're going to play it broad and soft and probably evacuate a lot of the wit, and also treat it as if it's for a niche audience (it is going to screen on the US Syfy channel after all).
SHARPBLUE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22079232

Visit me at www.mkeen.f9.co.uk & about.me/markkeen
thunda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm willing to overlook the fact that it's on the SyFy channel, formerly the SciFi channel, which gave us all those giant snake movies. I'm even going to ignore that it's being made for us Americans which means plenty of sex, fist fights, over the top special effects, explosions, sex, unnecessary foul language, stories where the good guys always win, and more sex. That's the only way to keep our attention. But I do want to question this:

According to FremantleMedia, the new series will be set in 2136 and will "tell the story of seven criminals - six guilty and one innocent - on their way to life on a prison colony in space, who together wrestle freedom from imprisonment".

Doesn't setting a definite date and such a low one seem like it might limit the type of technology that's available? Also, I'm assuming that Blake is the one innocent and Avon, Vila, Gan and Jenna make up four of the six guilty, so who are the other two?
SHARPBLUE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
Okay, I'm willing to overlook the fact that it's on the SyFy channel, formerly the SciFi channel, which gave us all those giant snake movies. I'm even going to ignore that it's being made for us Americans which means plenty of sex, fist fights, over the top special effects, explosions, sex, unnecessary foul language, stories where the good guys always win, and more sex. That's the only way to keep our attention. But I do want to question this:

According to FremantleMedia, the new series will be set in 2136 and will "tell the story of seven criminals - six guilty and one innocent - on their way to life on a prison colony in space, who together wrestle freedom from imprisonment".

Doesn't setting a definite date and such a low one seem like it might limit the type of technology that's available? Also, I'm assuming that Blake is the one innocent and Avon, Vila, Gan and Jenna make up four of the six guilty, so who are the other two?

Good points there - and one I missed. According to sources I've read the original is set about 700 years in the future - 2678 (If we take from 1978) - the third century of the second calendar making this date of the 27th century about right. So yes I concur that has flashed a warning sign up with me already - SyFy has a lot of cheap, badly acted, low budget shows that also puts me off somewhat - so my judgement is reserved as to its final quality. I hope and pray for a BSG style re-imagining - SyFy did do Blood & Chrome which on the whole wasn't too bad - but unfortunately the interest was low and a full series as I understand it has been canned for the time being.

Time will tell if a Blakes 7 reboot will me another catastrophic failure like the US versions of Life on Mars and Red Dwarf.

This is an interesting read http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/blakes-7/25174/10-things-wed-like-to-see-in-the-blakes-7-reboot

SHARPBLUE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the Spanish are talking about it:

http://pipocamoderna.com.br/remake-da-serie-cult-blakes-7-tem-producao-da-1a-temporada-aprovada/243846

pna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
I'm assuming that Blake is the one innocent and Avon, Vila, Gan and Jenna make up four of the six guilty, so who are the other two?

Zen and Orac will temporarily sprout legs before being absorbed into the ship and a perspex box...
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pna wrote:
thunda wrote:
I'm assuming that Blake is the one innocent and Avon, Vila, Gan and Jenna make up four of the six guilty, so who are the other two?

Zen and Orac will temporarily sprout legs before being absorbed into the ship and a perspex box...

This is from Glacion's link of FremantleMedia International's press release:

The year is 2136, Blake wakes up on one side of the bed. He reaches for the other side. There’s nobody there. As reality sets in, this handsome ex-soldier sits up, and looks at a photo of his wife Rachel. Beautiful. Deceased.

Am I the only one who finds this a bit disturbing? No, not the cliche' ex-soldier or dead wife but the handsome part. A large amount of Blake's appeal was that he looked like an everyday hard working bloke you could identify with. I don't want him turned into a pretty-boy who has a different woman fall in love with him every episode that he has to risk his life to rescue. I want Blake to be the lying, conniving b@$#@%d that wil stop at nothing to rip the heart out of the Federation.
meegat39

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
pna wrote:
thunda wrote:

This is from Glacion's link of FremantleMedia International's press release:

The year is 2136, Blake wakes up on one side of the bed. He reaches for the other side. There’s nobody there. As reality sets in, this handsome ex-soldier sits up, and looks at a photo of his wife Rachel. Beautiful. Deceased.

Am I the only one who finds this a bit disturbing? No, not the cliche' ex-soldier or dead wife but the handsome part. A large amount of Blake's appeal was that he looked like an everyday hard working bloke you could identify with. I don't want him turned into a pretty-boy who has a different woman fall in love with him every episode that he has to risk his life to rescue. I want Blake to be the lying, conniving b@$#@%d that wil stop at nothing to rip the heart out of the Federation.

I agree. Blake should not be handsome and that was what put me off of Firefy when I started watching it -the fact that the main character had sterotypical good looks. (I soon got over this stumbling block). It is such a cliche. Well, we will have to hope they don't ruin it (too much).
Rojblake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The handsome guy is meant to be Tarrant but he dose not show up till season three
SHARPBLUE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will predict the remake / re imagining will be crap.

pna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHARPBLUE wrote:

Maybe - but the re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica was very good imo Yes Smiley
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pna wrote:
SHARPBLUE wrote:

Maybe - but the re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica was very good imo Yes Smiley

Not in the eyes of the original BSG fans . OMG, you don't think we're going to become like them, do you?
pickle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wished the original show had more episodes with the atmosphere of the pilot. If the remake has a greater number of episodes in that vein I think the effects could be stunning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: