Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode D2: Power
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pickle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was uncomfortable with the sarky one both roughing her up and killing her and kissing her. But I've never watched the episode in full and I sure it sure as hell doesn't make sense in bits.
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused about something. Pella says to Vila, "This planet is very like Earth, I think. That is why the Seska came here." , so the Seska came from another planet? These were two different races fighting? Is that why she kills Cato when Avon asks him about the Seskas?
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
I'm confused about something. Pella says to Vila, "This planet is very like Earth, I think. That is why the Seska came here." , so the Seska came from another planet? These were two different races fighting? Is that why she kills Cato when Avon asks him about the Seskas?

Well, presumably most of these planets were settled by human beings from Earth at some point, but I don't know what to make of the statement about women arriving separately. If they came along after the men, why didn't the men have women before then? I can't see a males-only colonization...

Maybe it's historical revisionism on the part of the Seska...
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicate post...

Last edited by MagnusGreel on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagnusGreel wrote:
thunda wrote:

Well, presumably most of these planets were settled by human beings from Earth at some point, but I don't know what to make of the statement about women arriving separately. If they came along after the men, why didn't the men have women before then? I can't see a males-only colonization...

Maybe it's historical revisionism on the part of the Seska...

Actually my thinking was that the Seska were a group of women that came from another planet, perhaps earth. They arrived on Xenon where they encounted the Hommiks who were indigenous to the planet and comprised of males and females but male dominated. That would explain why they could leave the daughters to die on the hillside if they had enough women already.

Another question I have is about the necband. Obviously they weren't born with it so does removing it revert them to their normal personality?
MagnusGreel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:

Actually my thinking was that the Seska were a group of women that came from another planet, perhaps earth. They arrived on Xenon where they encounted the Hommiks who were indigenous to the planet and comprised of males and females but male dominated. That would explain why they could leave the daughters to die on the hillside if they had enough women already.

Another question I have is about the necband. Obviously they weren't born with it so does removing it revert them to their normal personality?

Well, the Hommiks went a little overboard with their throwing away of daughters then, since they were so in need of women that they had to go out and kidnap them.

The neck band at least gives Seska their psychic powers I guess, and removing it does seem to change their general perspective too. Ben Steed's often accused of rampant sexism, so his idea may have been that a woman's natural point of view is to be subservient to men. Remove the artificial influence of this tech, and the "natural" relationship between the sexes is restored. Avon's rambling male supremacist gobbledygook at the end (interesting though it is) is part of this attitude.

There's a lot of unexplained backstory, such as where the Seska came from, how the powers and neck bands came about, but it's just an hour episode, and life's full of unexplained details...
thunda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I watch this episdode the more I feel sorry for Pella. She seemed willing to negotiate until Avon stole the neck band and acted like a cad. I get the feeling Blake would have handled the situation totally different. He would have somehow freed the Seska and enlisted them in his crusade against the Federation. I don't think the director would have allowed Steed to portray Blake the way Avon was portrayed.
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
The more I watch this episdode the more I feel sorry for Pella. She seemed willing to negotiate until Avon stole the neck band and acted like a cad. I get the feeling Blake would have handled the situation totally different. He would have somehow freed the Seska and enlisted them in his crusade against the Federation. I don't think the director would have allowed Steed to portray Blake the way Avon was portrayed.
Even though Pella takes a shot at Avon, it feels a pity that the crew now have no need for her or people like the Seska. They've got tougher along the way since Blake left. Yes, I felt sorry for Pella too when she dies and right through watching how the contrasting Soolin is accepted. Some good moments in this one, definitely.
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can picture Blake freeing and arming the Seska so they can continue their war, killing Gun Sar and several of his men, endangering the crew and Liberator, then after Avon rescues him giving a lecture on how he did the "right" thing with that smug look on his face.

Btw, it's amazing how often when someone dies in the vicinity of the B7 crew their property automatically belongs to them.
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember thinking, the first time I watched this one, that Pella might join the crew of the Liberator, and that her Telekenisis might then be useful in the future. Vila would no doubt have had mixed feelings about it
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:
I remember thinking, the first time I watched this one, that Pella might join the crew of the Liberator, and that her Telekenisis might then be useful in the future. Vila would no doubt have had mixed feelings about it

Her power was indeed formidable being that it could be focused enough to make Avon’s finger pull a trigger and could also work through solid objects, however, Pella just wasn’t ruthless enough to be on this team. If you noticed when she killed it was only tactical strikes, eliminating the Hommik’s leader and “wizard”. I’m not counting Kate because I think that was by accident, she panicked. Pella, like all Seska, is a scientist, scientists tend to make poor warriors, which is evident by how badly they lost the war. They’re better suited to doing intellectual battles, and judging by that slight smile I thought I spotted I think she was enjoying matching wits with Avon. Unfortunately she underestimates him, or overestimates him, depending on your point of view, because Season 4 Avon doesn’t get out of bed for anything less than a full kill.
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that if Avon's accusations are correct then just about everything Pella said in the episode was a lie. If her goal for years has been to steal the Scorpio that means she would have to probably kill Dorian, kill Soolin, re-program Slave, leave what's left of the Seska to their fate, leave her technology, leave her hydroponic food, and travel the galaxy without any type of income. Clearly between Avon and Pella one of them is insane, but which one?
RichardWho

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:

I concur. I think Pella would have been a more interesting addition to the crew than Soolin, who just hid herself away during "Power" and when all is said and done was just another Dayna.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: