Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode A3: Cygnus Alpha
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucifer Sam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Cygnus Alpha' is essential in explaining how Vila and Gan got off the penal colony and onto the Liberator (what a pity Arco didn't make it...) and on the way makes a few interesting points with regard to Religion as Instrument of Oppression. I personally enjoyed it, particularly Avon using hole reinforcers to work out the Teleport and Jenna discovering Liberator's dressing-up box.

I personally assumed that the planet had some vegetation (perhaps bio-engineered) that can grow in near-darkness and could be farmed to provide the convicts with some nutrition. Perhaps some type of fungus? Unfortunately for us (but fortunately for Gan and Vila!) they're not there long enough to find out about the practicalities of life on Cygnus Alpha.

There were however two things that annoyed me:
1. Blake is thrown into a medieval-style torture chamber, complete with sinister hooded figure holding a smoking branding iron. After spending an hour with Cygnus Alpha's most vicious sadists, and not telling them anything, he emerges with... a slight red mark on his forehead.
2. At several points, you can see that under his robe Brian Blessed is wearing a box-fresh pair of white trainers. Where did they come from?
thunda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucifer Sam wrote:

I personally assumed that the planet had some vegetation (perhaps bio-engineered) that can grow in near-darkness and could be farmed to provide the convicts with some nutrition. Perhaps some type of fungus? Unfortunately for us (but fortunately for Gan and Vila!) they're not there long enough to find out about the practicalities of life on Cygnus Alpha.

There were however two things that annoyed me:
1. Blake is thrown into a medieval-style torture chamber, complete with sinister hooded figure holding a smoking branding iron. After spending an hour with Cygnus Alpha's most vicious sadists, and not telling them anything, he emerges with... a slight red mark on his forehead.
2. At several points, you can see that under his robe Brian Blessed is wearing a box-fresh pair of white trainers. Where did they come from?

Good observations. There must be some type of plant life because there is obviously animal life since one of the followers is shown cooking something. Also, they all look very well fed to me .

Blake's barely breathing hard when he's thrown in the cell and right after that he opens up a big can of whip arse. I have to assume that most of those tools were there to try to intimidate Blake and they probably only slapped him around a bit, not wanting to accidently kill him.

Under the robes? I was wondering how they made the robes . I'd hate to think that prisoners had to wait in a cell on Earth, travel for six months aboard the London, then spend the rest of their lives on Cygnus Alpha in the same set of clothes. I'm guessing that on most ships prisoners were given the basics (unerwear, trousers, socks, shirts, etc.) during their flight which of course Vargas confiscated.
Lucifer Sam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought just occurred to me that maybe the Federation's equivalent of Nike / Adidas built a factory on Cygnus Alpha, and keeps the convicts busy manufacturing trainers for the whole galactic sector...

As many totalitarian regimes have discovered, convicts are nearly as good as children for such work... [Looking for the 'satire' emoticon.]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: