Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Prometheus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHARPBLUE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Prometheus Reply with quote

Saw the Ridley Scott prequel in 3D yesterday.

Well worth a watch, I won't post spoilers suffice to say that it looks like a Star Trek style sidelinesque thing is happening here. Great effects, not a bad story but it is left wide open at the end for an obvious sequel. It may not fully answer the question of the original Alien origin but boy oh boy it does leave you screaming out for more, and I sincerely hope Scott doesn't let us down. Also great to see the H R Giger imagination bought fully to life! The Alien ship from the original is fantastic

I want much more please. Go see it, it's worth it.

Visit me at www.mkeen.f9.co.uk & about.me/markkeen
AnnaGrant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Prometheus yesterday, in 3D.

I love love Ridley Scott's work-favourite Blade Runner.

Just so fantastic to see sci fi on the big screen.

I thought David was the most compelling character, with his Lawrence of Arabia inflections.

Won't put in any spoilers but have to admit that after I left the cinema lots of questions popped up about the plot, and after a while I wondered how much I understood. This is a common experience with me, which I put down partly to my increasing age.

When the risk of spoilers is less can we have a discussion on here about what people thought actually happened?
SHARPBLUE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a Ridley Scott interview, looks like there may be up to three more movies after this one before linking in to the original 1979 Alien universe. Let's hope so. Not enough good sci fi out there at the moment.

Visit me at www.mkeen.f9.co.uk & about.me/markkeen
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnnaGrant wrote:
Won't put in any spoilers but have to admit that after I left the cinema lots of questions popped up about the plot, and after a while I wondered how much I understood. This is a common experience with me, which I put down partly to my increasing age.

When the risk of spoilers is less can we have a discussion on here about what people thought actually happened?

I finally got around to getting the DVD a few days ago... After watching it once, I feel like it dragged a bit in places and there wasn't that much in the way of plot, or at least any coherent flow to the plot... It was more like a collection of set pieces, some of which were quite tense and very well directed but just seemed to come out of nowhere... Like separate rooms with interesting stuff happening, but the main corridor that connects all the rooms is a bit empty and drab...

There were a couple of occasions where I was ready to give up and eject the disc before the film was even over, but then it would shift to some scary or tense scene that kept me watching. The last half hour or so was good but I think the middle of the movie could have been shorter without really missing anything...

Maybe the sequels will answer some questions or lend more significance to some of the scenes tho...?

I'll watch it again soon and see if I "get" more of it, or if there just isn't that much to be got.....?

edit: I suppose I should add that Blade Runner is one my favourite films, and there are plenty of scenes in that where not much appears to be happening, but that actually resonate with all sorts of significant character and plot concerns which aren't apparent the first time round, so I've got faith in Ridley Scott on that score... I'll definitely give Prometheus another go...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the good fortune to see this on a MASSIVE screen and in 3D. I'm a big fan of 'vagueness' in films because it allows the viewer to read their own meanings rather than being told their meanings outright. Most cinema, particularly these days, pursues the latter category and anything remotely bordering the former is met with bewilderment.

The 'vagueness' in this film works particularly well if predictions of more prequels on the way is true. It's as though we, the viewers, are on a journey of discovery. We don't know what we will encounter, and we can't always explain what we encounter or where it came from. New experiences are leant through a gradual unfolding. This is what the film, looking back some months after, achieves particularly well: the fact that unknowns are experienced as 'unknowns'.

Is it time enough to put out the spoilers and post some interpretations? I know in my case, I was interpreting it one way as I was watching it to later have someone else explain their take, which made a lot more sense that my own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Movies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: