Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

STAR TREK every week
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Lou Jensen

Location: Bowels of a disused space station with Hudson (shoot me now!)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empath - a fantastic episode.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68. Elaan of Troyius

This Weeks episode is ‘Elaan of Troyius’

An interesting problem this time and Captain Kirk starts off very patient and diplomatic. The warship appears and this episode really feels like its taking off; this has all the makings of another brilliant plot by John Meredith Lucas. Kirk was taking a risk when he turned his back on his ‘guest’, just as well her aim wasn’t as good as the first time – I’m not sure, the first time, that Elaan was meant to actually hit Captain Kirk as he seemed genuinely surprised! As I watched this one progress I couldn’t help feeling that the plot has absolutely everything that a Star trek episode could want. The ending too is very dramatic with the Elaan accepting what Captain Kirk had told her early on in the episode about responsibilities and obligations.

Ron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69. Whom Gods Destroy

This Weeks episode is ‘Whom Gods Destroy’

Anyone know what the title is about! This has a reasonable intro, though. Notice how Spock seems more inclined to believe the patient Marta than Captain Kirk when she gives them a warning. Nothing is as it appears however and she is as devious as the rest of them, presumably just playing a little game with the 'lord' Garth. The action is a little drawn out for a while up to the point when Spock stuns a guard, and there seems to be more reliance on force than brains. Kirk makes things more interesting by almost making Garth remember who he is. The actor playing him is very good in this scene. He's also good at being the insane Garth, swinging between being totally convinced he'll succeed in his plan for the Enterprise and then becoming suddenly angry. It’s a pity because IMHO there just isn’t enough in this story.
KevinD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:
69. Whom Gods Destroy

This Weeks episode is ‘Whom Gods Destroy’

Anyone know what the title is about!

Only that the longer quote is 'Whom Gods destroy, they first make mad'. Attributed (rightly or wrongly) to Euripides.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, never heard that quote.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70. Let That Be Your Last Battlefield

This Weeks episode is ‘Let That Be Your Last Battlefield’

The two beings, each believing that their different colours are something irreconcilable between them, repeatedly show how wrong their prejudices are. It’s a strong episode; an example of the more serious Star Trek stories, that I’d rate somewhere in the middle.
RichardWho

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Like a lot of classic Trek episodes it's making a point about racism.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71. The Mark of Gideon

This Weeks episode is ‘The Mark of Gideon’

I’ve been having a look at the Startrek.com forum discussions and couldn’t believe that a few people thought that this was the worst episode of the series. So I’m taking a time-out this week at saying what I thought about this week’s episode (hurray you say!). Thinking about the reviewing/criticism of TV shows/films general, and some of the opposite views to mine about this episode that I came across online, I feel that polls, with as many votes as possible, is a good way to judge an episodes appreciation. The differences then disappear in the total result. So here is a snapshot of a big Star Trek Original Series poll on Series 3 (the IMDB ratings from hundreds of visitors on 30th December 2011), which I hope you find interesting!

Rating out of 10 :

5.7 Spock's Brain
8.4 The Enterprise Incident
6.9 The Paradise Syndrome
5.6 And the Children Shall Lead
7.1 Is There in Truth No Beauty?
7.4 Spectre of the Gun
8.0 Day of the Dove
7.0 For the World is Hollow and I have touched the Sky
8.0 The Tholian Web
6.7 Plato's Stepchildren
7.3 Wink of an Eye
6.9 The Empath
7.1 Elaan of Troyius
6.9 Whom Gods Destroy
7.2 Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
6.7 The Mark of Gideon
6.7 That Which Survives
6.3 The Lights of Zetar
7.8 Requiem for Methuselah
5.7 The Way to Eden
6.8 The Cloud Minders
7.1 The Savage Curtain
8.2 All Our Yesterdays
6.8 Turnabout Intruder
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

72. That Which Survives

This Weeks episode is ‘That Which Survives’

I thought this was a good story and one of my favourite bits is when someone has to save the starship from exploding.

Scotty repairing the matterantimatter integrator and saving the ship.
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are these two flourescent tubes on the right? It could be the Enterprises sunbed!
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe it's one of those Japanese capsule hotels and that's the light for the shaving mirror...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it, the matterantimatter integrator, when it was off, doubled as Scotty's quarters!

73. The Lights of Zetar

This Weeks episode is ‘The Lights of Zetar ’

This is a very enjoyable one and would be a good choice for a typical Star Trek Original Series episode. The characters are well established now and everyone gives a great performance that seems just right and has to be admired. Back in the late sixties these colour special effects were really something new (even if it was to be a few years before most people in the UK had the colour TV sets needed to fully appreciate them).
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74. Requiem for Methuselah

This Weeks episode is ‘Requiem for Methuselah'

First impressions (my notes during the episode, didn't get very far!):
That's a pretty futuristic screen Flint's 'foster-daughter' is watching (at least that's what he wants everybody to think she is).

After the Episode: I really tried to imagine that the Flint character's story, that he was Brahms, Da Vinci ..., could be true. However the idea that many of the great works of art were only the product of one human being, who aquires more and more skill as he reincarnates, stretches the imagination too far and it puts down the achievements of all the famous people. Maybe Flint could have only observed all these people and their creations, letting him aquire the knowledge that he is putting to so sinister a use. The character reminded me of something and eventually it came to me, the character of the Devil in the Sympathy for the Devil song by The Rolling Stones. It's strange that the song came out in 1968 around the time of this episode I was wondering during watching the episode if the treasures Flint had created would have any value, but as they don't have the correct age, as Spock explains, presumably not. The three main characters Kirk, Spock and McCoy, of the crew of the Starship Enterprise, again get nearly all of the dialogue (we just see Uhura and Scotty briefly). I think it's true that the Series developed that way a bit. A good ending again.

The following Morning: I woke up thinking about the episode some more. The three main characters seemed to be what it was all about, but the writer had used aspects of their character that he thought we hadn't seen enough!
1. It's about Kirk thinking he is in love and acting irrationally. It's just a crush and that would be interesting to a lot of younger viewers. It's a simple aspect of the story I hadn't appreciated the night before. Spock had to remind him about the importance of the drug they needed. "We're fighting for a woman" Kirk shouts at Spock, incorrectly. Yes Kirk rarely disregards his Starship's fate so much as here.

2. It's about Spock getting a rare emotion - envy, emphasising his half human side.

3. Finally it's about McCoy. When he's introduced to Rayna who hasn't met any men apart from Flint, he talks of 'the pleasure and priveledge on behalf of all men'; he is a gentleman, and he is really if I think about the whole series. More importantly, it felt to me, the final scene where he wishes Kirk could forget Rayna implies several things. McCoy's a doctor, he care about his patients, about anybody needing help, but he only wishes he could make Kirk better because it goes beyond what he's allowed to do as a doctor. I think this finale was very clever in emphasising the true character of McCoy who is every bit the equal, as a good character, of Kirk and Spock in Star Trek as far as I'm concerned.

All in all a good episode.
Ron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75. The Way to Eden
This Weeks episode is ‘The Way to Eden’

If it was trying to make some opinion on the actual 60’s peace movement it doesn’t work. Better than ‘Spock’s Brain’ though! Actually there were more interesting things in the news; last few episodes first aired in the USA during all the anticipation of the upcoming first manned moon landing.
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

76. The Cloud Minders
This Weeks episode is ‘The Cloud Minders’

Uhura gets a little to do here which is nice when Kirk, having left her a message, asks her to add something diplomatic. I remember Nichelle Nichols saying, it may have been in ‘Bring Back Star Trek’, that she felt she wasn’t given as much to do in the Series as she’d expected. It probably applies to all of those whose names don’t appear in the opening titles. Down on the planet I like the way the rocks obscure Kirk and Spock as they search for the materials. This episode however has stuck in my mind all these years for only one reason; the scene when the captured man avoids interrogation was quite a shock.

Lots of small details certainly make this episode a top one for most people. I like the feeling that a lot of effort must have gone into getting the setting just right. The open platform looking down on the planet, the strange colour of the sky and the look of the river systems below have been well chosen. I remember being impressed by the view of the river systems as it looked just like the early images of the earth from space missions which had only just been seen for the first time. The double images scene is good. Another factor is the choice of the actress to play Vanna (Charlene Polite), who is one of the most believable one-off characters in Star Trek. Every reaction of hers seems very real, from the ability to fight, to stealth and then inquisitiveness, to her strong viewpoints and ability to deceive. In an earlier episode, the Elaan of Troyius character was also very good.

Facets of Vanna

The inequality in the society of the planet was a worthwhile subject and it’s good that the story has a constructive ending. A well written story deserved being so well realised.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: