Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

STAR TREK every week
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

58. The Paradise Syndrome

This Weeks episode is ’The Paradise Syndrome'

This is an enjoyable one. The planet is a spectacular place with its lakes and mountains. They weren't too worried about being spotted by the inhabitants, similar to 'American Indians', This is an interesting intro and there's certainly a great feeling about what this one might hold at that point when they're just been looking across the lake at the settlement. With McCoy explaining the Tahiti Syndrome I wonder if it was a working title for a while?

Later, as 'Kirok' only has vague dreams about some other existence, he really is ruled out of saving himself let alone anyone else. So again it's Spock who's central, and he of course goes about it logically but without success and ever decreasing options. I liked how Kirk and Spock are both needed for the final solution to gain access again; a really good idea from the writer.

I liked this one a lot, not least because it was actually all about 'Kirok', Miramin and their baby ''
Mary Lou Jensen

Location: Bowels of a disused space station with Hudson (shoot me now!)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futsie wrote:
Mary Lou Jensen wrote:
The cloaking device first turns up in the first season episode 'Balance of Terror' and absolutely fantastic episode based on the film 'Enemy Below' (WWII movie with an American BattleShip captain and a German U-Boat captain battling each other)

Ah, that's true, of course! I'd forgotten all about that... The episode where they first see that Romulans look like Vulcans...! Although I don't think they actually used the phrase "cloaking device" in that episode... Or did they?
ERm...................No idea, I can't remember the script hehehe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:
58. The Paradise Syndrome

This Weeks episode is ’The Paradise Syndrome'

This is an enjoyable one. The planet is a spectacular place with its lakes and mountains. They weren't too worried about being spotted by the inhabitants, similar to 'American Indians', This is an interesting intro and there's certainly a great feeling about what this one might hold at that point when they're just been looking across the lake at the settlement. With McCoy explaining the Tahiti Syndrome I wonder if it was a working title for a while?

Later, as 'Kirok' only has vague dreams about some other existence, he really is ruled out of saving himself let alone anyone else. So again it's Spock who's central, and he of course goes about it logically but without success and ever decreasing options. I liked how Kirk and Spock are both needed for the final solution to gain access again; a really good idea from the writer.

I liked this one a lot, not least because it was actually all about 'Kirok', Miramin and their baby ''
I love the costumes in this one

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Lou Jensen wrote:
Futsie wrote:
Mary Lou Jensen wrote:
The cloaking device first turns up in the first season episode 'Balance of Terror' and absolutely fantastic episode based on the film 'Enemy Below' (WWII movie with an American BattleShip captain and a German U-Boat captain battling each other)

Ah, that's true, of course! I'd forgotten all about that... The episode where they first see that Romulans look like Vulcans...! Although I don't think they actually used the phrase "cloaking device" in that episode... Or did they?
ERm...................No idea, I can't remember the script hehehe
Just checked startrek.com, and Spock calls it an invisibility screen!
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

59. And the Children Shall Lead

This Weeks episode is ’And the Children Shall Lead'

This is one that younger people can certainly watch if they have any interest in early Star Trek, as they can relate to the children and there’s little violence.

On the Enterprise lots of people go out of their way to help the kids, and Nurse Chapel is particularly kind to them. At times like these, when some member of the crew show how people should treat each other, there's a great feeling of how resourceful everybody on board is - as if the Enterprise is 'the best'.

The title sounds like this might be an interesting one, but with the explanation at the end it all feels too contrived, followed by a realisation that the plot has been to show that ‘brainwashing people is evil’. It's not enough to make a good story, as pointed out at the time by Leonard Nimoy I believe. So I’ll remember this one for the scene with Nurse Chapel, and for reminding me why I admired this show when I was young.
Mary Lou Jensen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:
59. And the Children Shall Lead

This Weeks episode is ’And the Children Shall Lead'

This is one that younger people can certainly watch if they have any interest in early Star Trek, as they can relate to the children and there’s little violence.
Well technically maybe not, but the kids did kill their own parents - off screen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60. Is There in Truth No Beauty?

This Weeks episode is ‘Is There in Truth No Beauty?’

Still not sure that this was a good title, but it’s an excellent episode. Well written and performed it has several colourful special effects, such as ‘beyond our galaxy’

and the ambassador himself (presumably it is a he). One thing that is good about the plot is how we learn things about the ambassador’s companion Miranda as the story progresses, but how they were hinted at if viewers picked it up first.

One of Captain Kirk’s jobs is to use his charm again:
Spock: “Her mind must be so engaged …”
Kirk “I think that can be arranged”

And I liked the scene where Spock joins minds and the ambassador, being a telepath, finds humans very ‘alone’. I’m not sure that’s true. There’s the corollary in the Hitchhuikers’s Guide To the Galaxy where the intelligent beings have telepathy forced on them as a punishment!
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61. Spectre of the Gun

This Weeks episode is ‘Spectre of the Gun’

First of all, I forgot to mention a couple of weeks ago about Leonard Nimoy saying goodbye to Star trek conventions as he passes 80 years old. Goodbye!

A Western with three (or four) pretty bad hombres! I can’t help feeling the parallels with Doctor Who when a historical one comes along, although there are fewer of them in Star Trek. Another such one is the enjoyable ‘The City on the Edge of Forever’ in Series 1 (the one with Joan Collins).

Well alongside being taught an intriguing piece of history (I wonder if the Clanton’s were really outlaws?), some questions to ask in judging the episode might be:
Does the plot feel plausible?
What is its message?

The plot in a nutshell is that telepathic beings have seen the Enterprise approaching their planet and set the ‘aliens’ (as they call its crew) a test of their character before allowing them any further. I’d say it seems just plausible.

Captain Kirk’s final message “We overcame our instinct for violence” seems clear; except wait a minute the crew aren’t all humans are they, so who’s instinct or character is being tested? It’s Spock’s logic, in working out how they can survive (not forgetting his ability to mind link), which saves the Enterprise’s leaders lives and this part of its mission. So it hasn’t really proved that at all about human character, as was perhaps intended, and only tested the Human/Vulcan Enterprise team. ‘Be logical and you will do better than relying on your primitive emotions’ is what Star Trek often seems to be saying.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

62. Day of the Dove

This Weeks episode is ‘Day of the Dove’

For a change this week, and thanks to the internet, I've delved into a few career moments of one of the actresses in Star Trek.

One thing this episode is know for is the first appearance of a female Klingon, Mara, wife of Commander Kang and played by Susan Howard.

This wasn’t that long after one of Susan Howard’s first TV appearances as Dorothy in an episode of the 1966 US light drama series ‘Love on a Rooftop’.

She then had lots of TV drama roles and played Donna Krebbs for a long time in the TV show Dallas

Later she was in a 1993 drama/documentary ‘Come the Morning’ based on an acclaimed 1989 novel which deals with homelessness realistically. Several Dallas documentaries followed.

Coming back to Star Trek, I quite liked it; any thoughts on this episode?

Ron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

63. For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky

This Weeks episode is ‘For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky’

There’s a certain similarity with this asteroid collision course story to the situation in the recent ‘The Paradise Syndrome’ episode. The travelers are a bit primitive and the boys do suffer a bit too much! On the plus side it’s enjoyable to watch the main characters and how they interact. Maybe, here approaching the middle of Series 3, that is the most interesting thing about Star Trek – The Original Series at the moment.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

64. The Tholian Web

This Weeks episode is ‘The Tholian Web’

I thought this was a very good episode for being quite ahead of its time in visual effects. There’s plenty of action and it keeps things interesting with lots of scientific phenomena to explain like what’s happening to the dissolving ship. Scotty is good. A memorable scene (the Enterprise being ensnared):

Ron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65. Plato’s Stepchildren
This Weeks episode is ‘Plato’s Stepchildren’

Well is studying something too long bound to make someone evil/degenerate/crazy as the underlying message is in this one? Just what has the writer got against ‘Acedemicians’ as he calls them that Greek history comes in for such criticism? Didn’t they also give us the Olympic games? Wasn’t it nevertheless a pretty good dramatic finale, in that it isn’t clear if someone is going to get hurt or not? And, is this the first review to be completely composed of questions!
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66. Wink of an Eye

This Weeks episode is ‘Wink of an Eye’ This is a good title for a really good episode.

McCoy sees Compton, a red shirt who has been playing in the water fountain, buzz off into thin air.

They don't waste any time with the landing party already being down on Scalos. It’s a bit creepy that whatever is down there is only "partially discernable to our instruments". At first it seems to be mosquito-like creatures and again after Kirk demands "show yourselves!". All the strange goings on make it spooky and then time seems to dilate to Captain Kirk. Now he had just drunk some coffee and the Red shirt that disappeared completely earlier had drunk water, but it all a red herring? The beautiful alien appears as time has all but stopped for Kirk, and kisses him. That makes a nice change! "To their ears you sound just like an insect" she says, and then more ominously "You will enjoy living on Scalos! ... Is it such a terrible prospect!!!" She is very sure of the power the aliens hold over the crew of the Enterprise. The Red shirt - Compton has betrayed everyone, but the aliens don't spare him when he tries to rectify his mistake and help his captain. Meanwhile in what can be thought of as a parallel universe living at different rates perhaps, Spock is suspecting the coffee after all. Kirk then notices that Compton has aged after he died. We now see a weakness in the alien psyche that hints at how the story may go; the alien technician is jealous of the beautiful alien’s attraction to Kirk. The accelerated living of the people of Scalos burns them out and then the beautiful alien explains how they used to be like them but that pollution changed their world. Now they need the humans! This story has a very fast pace with a lot happening and the hints in the minds of the viewers that writer Lee Cronin deliberately created are good ones, as there is something in the water after all. Kirk's bluffing of course when he pretends to have relaxed with the alien woman and its a good time, just after the middle of the story, to slow the pace right down and contrast the fast plot of the start and, no doubt, at the end of the episode. It's now a question of whether Kirk will put things right or Spock, McCoy and co, or do we need them both to solve it somehow? It's not clear where the story will go at this point. Then it suddenly starts to seem clearer as the jealousy of the alien technician surfaces again, and he and the beautiful alien begin to argue, and she injures him. She is gambling everything on her charms with Captain Kirk. It starts to look like the Enterprise crew will have to save things, but there's still a chance Kirk is not under her influence, who knows. What I like about this plot are these uncertainties. "You tricked me" she says, and it’s a little sad if looked at from the alien’s point of view. She leaves with the technician and there's one last twist that's quite amusing - Spock buzzing about fixing things! And one more goodbye from Kirk to the beautiful alien - "Deela". He's got to go!
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67. The Empath

This Weeks episode is ‘The Empath’

(I watched the last one 3+1/2 times last weekend, so that’s a record)

The three top men beam down again this time, becoming a routine. Well Scotty could always take over if need be, ‘though he’d probably just start saving fuel by missing out the corners of the universe! The three don’t have much influence on events really, being caught up between the two other alien peoples; a less successful episode perhaps.
KevinD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1979, 'The Empath' was one of those episodes that had never been shown in Britain. I went to a convention where they were showing it and I had to leave a talk by the late Douglas Adams in order to see it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> General Sci-fi and Fantasy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: