Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Audio Episode: When Vila met Gan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Audio Episode: When Vila met Gan Reply with quote

This is the first of the early years series that B7 Media are making and tells the story - as the title says - of when Vila met Gan.

There is not much plot, but a lot of quite amusing dialogue, starting in the prologue when they joke about the desirability of a teleport. Other interesting facts that come out include that Gan apparently comes from Croydon and Vila's grandma used to make curried goat.

Michael Keating slips back into his Vila role with ease and Owen Aaronovitch gets a better chance to explore his role as Gan than he did on the original B7 Media audio adventures.

The concept is a bit fanficish in that there is no real evidence from the original series that Vila and Gan had a history, but then again there was nothing to say they didn't, so I think that is fair enough.

Overall, an enjoyable addition to the B7 Media canon.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itís more humorous than the B7 Audios from 2007 which I wasnít expecting (probably because they look quite serious on the CD sleeve promotion). It was a pleasant surprise and without giving spoilers away all I can say is there are lots of Blakes 7 references that made me laugh. The sound effects are very good.

There are some contemporary references about mobiles and going online. If I remember correctly I donít think ĎThe Sevenfold Crowní or ĎThe Syndeton Experimentí Audio adventures from the 1990ís tried to feel anything other than the original 70ís/80ís in style. Of course the prequel is still set well into the future so I suppose itís OK to tell the story in todayís way, I would just have set it in the same 70ís/80ís style. One thing slightly bugs me though (maybe Iím missing something that occurs in the series) Vila and Gan come across the Liberator and this is before the original Blakes 7 adventure started. Iím sure there must be a simple explanation.

The four extra tracks are a nine minute documentary (with a few interesting comments from Michael Keating), the music in the episode and two B7 Audio trailers (with more music some time after the second one seems to be finished).

Ö And I hope some of the other prequels include more of the original TV cast!
BabylonRebel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the part with Gan and Vila on 'The Liberator' towards the beginning are supposed to be them looking back on the past, and the bulk of the story taking place before 'The Way Back' (or 'Rebel' if this is set in the audio universe).
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BabylonRebel wrote:
I think the part with Gan and Vila on 'The Liberator' towards the beginning are supposed to be them looking back on the past, and the bulk of the story taking place before 'The Way Back' (or 'Rebel' if this is set in the audio universe).

They are talking about shuttles to the Liberator and inventing Teleport. I suppose there was a time after they boarded The Liberator before they found out about the teleport.

Edit :
I've just been reading the 'chat' thread about this and as someone said there I think a possible explanation could be "It sounds like it's written for B7's new version of the series" i.e. this isn't meant to relate to the Liberator in the TV version. If so it's a bit confusing to me at least.
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume they'd relate it to their new version of B7 (even tho they've got Michael Keating in it!)... the new B7enterprises/B7media/B7productions version didn't have teleport as I remember...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listened to Rebel again and yes it has shuttles not teleport. Thanks guys for the explanations.
BabylonRebel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who have heard the Series 2 Trailer on the CD - is it true Michael Keating is taking over as Vila again?
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that Dean Harris's voice about 1 minute in saying "It's human, almost".
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now done a review of this:

http://classic-sci-fi-tv.suite101.com/article.cfm/blakes-7-when-vila-met-gan
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
THE DOCTOR ALT 8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

his story is being broadcast on BBC 7 tonight 6:30 pm and 12:30 am
it will also be on the listen again website for 7 days afterwards.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: