Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Best David Cronenberg Movie
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Other Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best David Cronenberg Movie
Shivers
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Rabid
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Brood
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Scanners
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Videodrome
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
The Dead Zone
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Fly
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Dead Ringers
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Naked Lunch
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
M Butterfly
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Crash
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
eXistenZ
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Spider
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
History of Violence
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
Saw EXISTENZ on TV last night , couldnt really understand where the line between reality and being stuck in a games world ended, or started -does anyone know?

They never leave the game. That's the point!

IMO the whole film is about the lengths people will go to repress ideas. Time ana again we meet individuals and groups dedicated to repressing versions of reality they see as artificial. At the end Allegra appears to have escaped the censors and won the game - but the final twist is that it is a game within a game and she herself is an assassin.

Basically most of the characters in the film are trying to assert that their reality is true, unaware that their whole world is fake.

I think the film may be saying that whilst art should free the human mind, too often is prevented from doing so. According to Cronenberg it was inspired by the plight of Salman Rushdie, but I wonder if he was also thinking off all those dumbass Daily Mail readers who wanted to ban 'Crash' - not to mention the outcry in Canada over 'Shivers' at the very beginning of his career.

Or I could be totally wrong. 'eXistenZ' certainly suggests we should always be ready to admit that.

'eXistenZ' isn't a visionary piece of uncompromising film making like 'Crash' or a deeply moving tragedy like 'Dead Ringers' or 'Spider'. It is more playful and fairly light by Cronenberg's standards. Nontheless I still think it is smarter than people give it credit for.

And Jude Law looks good in it. And that tooth gun is to die for!!
Artilla
Beast's precious num-num

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Spader in "Supernova."
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy wrote:

'eXistenZ' isn't a visionary piece of uncompromising film making like 'Crash'
You really need to get a grip, or an imagination!!
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artilla wrote:

Nice corset
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE_LIBERATOR wrote:
Cockroach Boy wrote:

'eXistenZ' isn't a visionary piece of uncompromising film making like 'Crash'
You really need to get a grip, or an imagination!!

My imagination is quite diseased enough without trying to add to it thank you very much!! I'm afraid my list of favourite films is largely made up of the unloved or despised! Mmm...maybe I should devote a thread to them.

Just to shift subject slightly, doesn't Howard Shore do amazing work for Cronenberg? I was watching Dead Ringers a few days back and forgotten how moving the music at the end is.
Artilla
Beast's precious num-num

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE_LIBERATOR wrote:
Artilla wrote:

Nice corset

He's NOT wearing a corset! you've confused him with Captain Kirk!
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry, girdle, nice girdle Yes Smiley
Artilla
Beast's precious num-num

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong and wrong again - it is spandex, the most unforgiving fabric in the
world!! He's soooooooooooooooooooo scrumptious in this movie.
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spandex!! He must be quite chubby around the middle for it to have that effect!!

*goes to get some spandex*
Artilla
Beast's precious num-num

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*waits for photos of this*
white afro in space

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just returned from a bit of a Cronenberg bender, which took in Scanners, eXistenZ and Crash. As Videodrome was the only Cronenberg I'd seen until recently (a few months ago I saw Naked Lunch and sadly fell asleep during it), I'd been hesitant in voting on this poll. Videodrome, of course, gets the vote with Scanners in at a close second.

I quite like Cronenberg as a filmmaker, he certainly has a distinctive voice and that should count for a lot. He's usually, in the films I've seen, pretty bleak and includes all sorts of great, McLuhan-esque stuff with subtle and overt references to technology being the extension of man - a perfect subject for the medium of film. Scanners and Videodrome are great, despite the odd flaw here and there (more a problem with Scanners than Videodrome). But unfortunately, it doesn't always come off.

I took an instant dislike to to eXisitenZ. It seemed all too 'mastabatory fantasy' for my liking. Now, of course, that criticism could be countered with 'ar, but it's a computer game and such fantasy reflects the whims of the intended market'. Yes, I'd agree with that counter argument, but is that all the film has got? I'm afraid I didn't catch much else.

I really wanted to like Crash. It was bleak and it was dark. The only redeeming feature I can think of, which has just come to me now writing this, is that the movie itself is like a car accident. A sad instant of human wreckage, a meeting of personal history/backstory and debris, which when passing by in traffic, the viewer is compelled to merely gawp upon. This car accident is the movie 'Crash'.

I'd like to hear more from Roach about why these two latter films are so great. I can't see it myself, yet I find it such a shame that a great film like Videodrome, a real rarity in cinema, seemingly the work of a great director and visionary, should be followed by such disappointing fare.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen History of Violence. Sad to say that I didn't like it all that much. I mean, it was OK, passed the time, but nothing really to write home about. The movie did 'feel' like a Cronenberg, though, which is a good thing, mainly because it had that familiar whiff of Cronenberg's eerie hyper-reality about it. As for the story as a whole, I was disappointed because it was like a run-of -the-mill 'bad-guy-gone-good-and-cleaning-up-the-bad-guys' tale. If there was any meaningful subtext involved, it flew right past me.

Also, Howard Shore has got to be the most annoying film-composer of the last decade. He might have done good things for Cronenberg in the past, but his sickly-sweet motifs popping up all over the shop grated more than lifted any scene because of their rank, ubiquitous, fomulae. The music was made worse by the fact that the main motifs seemed to have a portion of the massively overused Lord of the Rings motif. A few notes of that and I'm off imagining a Hobbit-Holocaust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Other Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: