Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

What makes classic Comedy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Other Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Comedies stay the same?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

Ron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: What makes classic Comedy? Reply with quote

Are situation comedies better staying the same or should they develop?

I think the best ones basically stay the same, with the same characters they start with, and in the 'situation' that the programme started out in.

Here's a few to back up my opinion:

Dad's Army
Benefits from one of the best casts ever. I think it might also have been possible for the female assistant (Miss Dowdeswell) to be kept on though. Later on the character played by Talfryn Thomas was introduced and I don't think it was necessary. The situation stayed much the same however with guest cast members never intruding. It is a recipe for success.

The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy
Ok not really a 'situation' when the world is being blown up but their 'situation' is a shared one. It had a great core of regular characters that didn't need any added to so viewers/listeners wouldn't get bored.

Friends
The only reason, I believe, that Friends came to an end was that the cast wanted to do something new.

Now one that I wouldn't put into one category or the other as I only saw the start (It looked like it could be trying to stay consistent).

Gavin and Stacey

And now a few that started well but then felt they had to develop, in introducing new characters and/or situations.

Frasier
Frasier was funny but was the whole Daphne's fiance' development really a good idea? I want to see Frasier, his Dad, Niles and his ex and Daphne.

Kath and Kim
This starts really well. Episode one is classic. In a few episodes new characters start to appear with the relationship councillor and get too much to say. Eventually the leading ladies start to play other characters entirely (shop assistants) and it's a pity.

The IT Crowd
Again starts really well with the two guys and their female boss. Why couldn't it have stayed that way? The guy in the cupboard and then the company boss having virtually whole episodes to himself and it wasn't the same. Then Series 2 had to take the story out of the office situation. No, it was no longer the funny programme that it started as.

Last edited by Ron on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlakNo1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sit-coms tend to have a limited time when they are fresh and interesting. I don't watch Simpsons or South Park anymore because their concepts got tired and it seemed the characters were doing the same things again and again.

As far as the shows listed, I'm not familiar with the British shows and I find Frasier and Friends to be total abominations, not to mention that I despise Kelsey Grammer.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - Brit sitcoms of the 70s look pretty dated now and are period pieces of that era, much as I think TILL DEATH is classic sitcom some of the dialogue etc can be pretty shocking to listen to now, and sitcoms like LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR whilst drawing in massive viewing figures are reviled by critics and viewers alike viewing them now, DAD`S ARMY to me is the best sitcom ever from that era because it has`nt really dated, can still be viewed now (as it is regularly) and the wartime Home Guard scenario is still appealing and it still feels fresh to look at even in 2009!
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like Dad's Army too!

Just to clarify. I'm not asking whether comedies today should be the same as long ago. I'm asking :

Should comedies stay the same? (as they started, same characters, same situation)
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Red Dwarf improved when Kryten appeared, even tho it was pretty good before that. But if Kryten had turned out to be rubbish, we'd be saying they should never have tampered with the successful formula of the original characters.

In the last series when Rimmer and Lister were sharing a prison cell, I think they tried to recapture the early days when the two of them shared living quarters, but it wasn't quite the same... perhaps because one of the writers had left, or maybe the remaining writer was no longer really into writing that sort of dialogue...?

So... should sitcoms stay the same? I dunno... I think they should stay GOOD, but that's not an easy thing to do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Other Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: