Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Blake's 7 audio plays
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bookwyrme wrote:
Anyone know what movie(s) start playing as soon as the site loads? I've never seen any identifying information.

Well,the one that's playing now,as of June 9,is called Minotaur.It's a Scifi channel original starring Tony Todd (Candyman) set in ancient times.The one that was showing when they first put the audio plays up was called Velocity Trap.A futuristic Die Hard type movie taking place aboard a cargo spaceship starring Olivier Gruner,who is the video version of Jean Claude Van Damme.Neither one made my Thunda Top 10 Scifi list.
Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

The bits I saw certainly didn't *look* top ten! I have to say, I find it kind of annoying, waiting while the middle of some movie or another loads before I can get to the B7.

I enjoyed the first episode, though I'm having a hard time with Avon's deep, often quite mellow, voice!

The beginning of this one has not impressed me a lot--Avon comes across as a bit of an idiot, not telling the ship who was on board when it outright said "I will destroy myself if I don't have a crew, and I need to know who that crew is."

Still not sure what function Mezzen is supposed to be serving.
thunda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you.I think that just like the new Battlestar Galactica,the only way to enjoy this is to put the original out of your mind.
Glacion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
I agree with you.I think that just like the new Battlestar Galactica,the only way to enjoy this is to put the original out of your mind.

It seems a bit of a shame to me, because so far the audios seem like an inferior product. The characterisation is different, granted (as reinterpretation is their intent), but it doesn't seem particularly strong or focussed either. The line of each of the main character's personalities (and the places where they conflict) were set up very nicely in the first few episodes of the TV series, along with the set up events of Blake's deportation, discovery of the Liberator, liberation of Gan and Vila from Cygnus Alpha which have all been covered in the audios at such break-neck speed (and in an awkwardly short format) that the characters are left floundering into the second story. They're still floundering, I think. The reason I would recast and retread the first events of the series is so I could establish the format and get to telling new stories, ostensibly with the same characters and the same depth of characterisation, maybe spin out slightly different, more complex story arcs. But that's me!
BlakNo1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:

The difference is the new BSG is improving on an inferior product, this is the exact opposite.
Kaz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll wait until the cd is out, as I can't always download pod cast things on my pc (it usually falls over and can't get up again )
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlakNo1 wrote:
thunda wrote:

The difference is the new BSG is improving on an inferior product, this is the exact opposite.

"Inferior" is in the eye of the beholder.
After the two hour BSG premiere debuted,fan's opinion was mixed.It took awile for some people to accept the new characters,old schoolers are still holding out.

Having said all that,even approaching this with an open mind,I'm forced to agree.The episodes seem too fast paced,not enough time is given to plot or character development.The dialogue doesn't have the B7 "bite" either.It almost feels like the episodes were edited to shorter versions.To sum it up,I think this retelling may have been written not for the hardcore Blake's 7 fan but more for the casual scifi fan.Perhaps more for the so-called MTV generation.Just my opinion.
BlakNo1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
BlakNo1 wrote:
thunda wrote:

"Inferior" is in the eye of the beholder.

In the words of the late great Bill Hicks, "It's a judgement call, and I'm making it.". You have to look to shows like Buck Rogers(1980), Space Academy, & Jason Of Star Command to find a show cheesier than original Galactica.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are coming out on CD next week are`nt they?
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first is due out on the 11th of July
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glacion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listened to today's episode and I had to share this... most of it I've borne with good grace up to now but I never thought I'd hear Avon say: "You're such an idealist, Blake!" Oh dear God, I was cringing and laughing with derision at the same time; do they even know what they're writing?! This suddenly feels a very, very long way from the wit and acuity of Blake's 7.
Diane G

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some episodes written by James Swallow are up now... these are the best so far, I think... there's some good dialogue and tension between the characters...

I love the bit where Avon is fiddling around in the computer neural net centre, and Vila asks him what he's doing in there... and....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn
Been there done that
I have become a purist
if it ain't broken don't fiddle with it and break it altogether

Blakes 7 was a gem,a diamond in the rough
If you keep cutting up that diamond all you have left are
small pieces of the original without sparkle nor brilliance
just a dull gray former shadow of it's glorious self...

Paul Darrow is AVON is Paul Darrow
Rojblake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these audio plays are terrible, I for one will not be buying them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: