Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Blake's 7 audio plays
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glacion

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first three chapters (at 5 mins each) are up at http://scifi.co.uk/blakes7/ - I'm not entirely convinced, but they're interesting. I think maybe the distribution method isn't quite as B7 Enterprises had envisoned it; I remember reading something about downloading to your mp3 player for people on the go, but these ones just stream, and if they continue uploading them three at a time, three times a week, the whole 36 episode run will be done in 3 weeks. That's a lot of 3s.

And yes, I was thinking it might be worth having three threads in the Episode Discussion board for each of the segements (by a different writer) in the audio series, unless that's sacrilege.

So my thoughts so far: speeding through the plot of the first two original episodes, so far without the luxury of character developement that's part of what makes Blake's 7 so good, but that might be given room later on. Not terribly impressed by Travis or Servalan, in fact it sounds like the most dangerous thing Servalan could do is accidentally spill the cocoa she's just made for Blake in his lap. And Travis just seems like a rather faceless obedient pet, at the moment. The most interesting sparks appear at the end of the third episode with Jenna and Avon; Carrie Dobro's fiesty, and that's about all you can say so far, and Colin Salmon is instantly impressive as Avon but the writing for him is a little worrying - too self-knowing, although it made me smile, that "he's just a white collar criminal, how dangerous can he be?" - and his second line (of two) seems a little too disturbing and predatory for my liking, nowhere near as stable and contained as early Avon should be, feels like we've skipped right to the end. And the dialogue in general, surprisingly, is not too far removed from the style of the original, which does make it seems a little odd in places, I think mostly in the encounter between Servalan and Blake, where it doesn't seem as if it should naturally be coming from those actors' mouths.

Definitely going to give the audios a go, especially if they're an indicator of how B7 Enterprises would tackle a TV series, given the chance. What does everybody else think?
Simon

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem very fast paced, I guess because they're trying to cram so much into the 5 minute episodes.
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voices take a bit of getting used to, but I enjoyed some of it, wasn't so sure about some of it, and overall I still want to hear more

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-yawn-
Cats

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlakNo1 wrote:
-yawn-

Yawn x's 2

PAUL DARROW IS AVON IS PAUL DARROW
Kaz

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't listen to them here at work as my pc hasn't any speakers, but will try and get a chance to listen over the next weekend.

I'm going to try and approach them as a new sci fi show and try not to be bias towards them or the actors of the original.
I get on well with PD and will always see him as Avon.

But on the other side look how well BG has done since it was revamped and new actors brought in. Never say never.....
Trooper Par

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a listen the other day. I'm not really a fan of audio adventures anyway.

Have you noticed a characters name is always spoken at the end of a speech to let the listener know who exactly has been speaking? Seems daft in a way.

"Ok Blake?"

"Im ok Avon"

"How are you Jenna?""

"Doing fine thanks Villa"

Be interesting to hear how Zen sounds. lol
Whitestar

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have no problems with the remake audio adventures of Blake's 7, I find the idea of actress Carrie Dobro as the voice of Jenna to be a major stretch. Don't get me wrong, I love Ms. Dobro, she's an excellent actress and I enjoyed her as Dureena on Crusade, but what the hell is she doing on Blake's 7?!? <<scratches head>> Now, I'm american but I don't think american actors should be featured on Blake's 7 because it just doesn't feel appropriate. It was never done in the original series, so why should the producers start now? At the very least, Dobro should have put an effort to talk with a british accent. Perhaps the producers hired her because of her work in Crusade, as a marketing gimmick to woo Babylon 5 fans as well? Still, I really do hope that this audio series does well because if it tanks, we can kiss goodbye our chances of seeing a live-action continuation show of the original series.
BEAST
Forum Hooligan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ima give this a listen soon when i get a chance. im not surprised that most of you are hateing on it tho.

E-THUGGING
E-PIMPING
E-BEEFING
SINCE 2002
Rojblake

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well given them a bit of a chance but boy they are bad not just as sf stuff but to have the bottle to call it Blakes 7 boggles the mind. They are so bad it would be funny if they were not trying to be something that I hold very dear. I just hope they don't get the chance to do anything else and that this is all that AMS will be able to get of the ground. I dread to think what live action version of his Blakes 7 would be like. It is an insult to Terry Nation and the Blakes 7 we all know for it to have any association with that. Paul Darrow, to my minds eye, has been shown to have made the right decision by leaving the project.

These efforts by B7productions are worse than the BBC radio plays the other year and that is saying something. At least those BBC versions had original cast members in them.

Simon

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to get round to listening to them following the first 3 episodes. I'll try to listen to them over the weekend.
BlakNo1

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see this being the launching point for bigger and better things at all.

That's really the nicest way that I can put it.
hogswine

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glacion wrote:
The first three chapters (at 5 mins each) are up at http://scifi.co.uk/blakes7/ - I'm not entirely convinced, but they're interesting. I think maybe the distribution method isn't quite as B7 Enterprises had envisoned it; I remember reading something about downloading to your mp3 player for people on the go, but these ones just stream, and if they continue uploading them three at a time, three times a week, the whole 36 episode run will be done in 3 weeks. That's a lot of 3s.

So there is no site available for downloading them as MP3, or better yet, OGG files? That is a nuisance.
Kally

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rojblake wrote:

These efforts by B7productions are worse than the BBC radio plays the other year and that is saying something. At least those BBC versions had original cast members in them.

Sorry Roj, Don't agree we you there.... The only thing that the BBC plays had going for them was that they mostly had the original actors (new actresses).... I think the story lines and writing of the this new set is much better. These are an enjoyable listern.

I like radio plays and have a number of 'books' on my MP3 (including the BBC radio plays) . Based on the first 12 segments they have posted so far I would buy the CD of the full recording to add to the MP3

Although I also agree with BlakNo1 that I don't see them becoming a spring board for a TV show.

Not seen any news coverage/reviews of them.

"May you die alone and silent ! "
Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what movie(s) start playing as soon as the site loads? I've never seen any identifying information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: