Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

The compilation videos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes 7 Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What’s your general opinion about the compilations?
Wouldn’t watch again, they’re superceded
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Might watch them but the episodes are better
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Like some of them better than the episodes
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Other opinion
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

Ron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: The compilation videos Reply with quote

Of the four movie-length compilation videos I’ve watched ‘The Beginning’ and I’d like to see the others.

For the record they were made up of :
The Beginning (1.The Way Back, 2.Space Fall, 3.Cygnus Alpha, and 4.Time Squad)
Duel (6.Seek-Locate-Destroy, 8.Duel, and 9.Project Avalon)
Orac (12.Deliverance, 13.Orac, and 14.Redemption)
Aftermath (27.Aftermath, 28.Powerplay and 35.Sarcophagus)
white afro in space

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the wouldn't watch again option.

The compilations have indeed been superceded, however at our place anyway, there has been a remarkable, unforeseeable bonus due to these compilation vids. Before we had all the eps on DVD, the only form that some eps had was through these compilations. Now watching the DVDs, we now have a special treat in 'new', 'unseen' scenes. Furthermore, because we were so used to the compilation vids, the 'new' scenes come as a suprise at each viewing!!!!
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the first compilation video when I was a kid which was interesting, but I don't have interest in seeing them now they are out on DVD.
ZEN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Yes Smiley - I bought all four when they 1st came out and thoroughly enjoyed them at the time, despite them being heaverly edited and missing out some better episodes for the compliations. Nowadays, they remain firmly on the shelf having been well & truely Superceded - though I still rememeber the fondness for which even they were viewed

By the way, anyone going to the next gathering in March - anyone want two spare tapes that I've got of the above, let me know and I'll bring them along

nothing like the 1st cuppa tea in the morning.

B7 Episodes watched since January 2017 = 95
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 'Might watch them ...'. I'm just curious to see if they've got continuity, and after giving 'The Beginning' away when I got the episodes, I now think they'd be good to have too!
Ron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got ‘The Beginning’ and ‘Orac’ now.

The Beginning seems to have about 20 minutes episode 1, 40m ep. 2, 33m ep. 3 and 30m ep 4.

SOME of the cuts are :
ep. 1 : cuts from the shooting to the trial verdict, from the end of the trial to embarkation and there’s nothing about the guy who tries to help Blake get justice.
ep. 2 : starts from Raiker talking to the prisoners (and incidentally Avon’s famous two-handed headslap is not cut!).
ep. 3 : not sure, (haven’t watched Cygnus Alpha enough to notice what was cut!).
ep 4 : cuts from Gan scaring Vila to opening one of the coffins.

The continuity is quite good. I don’t suppose there are any extra scenes but it could be possible if they were to be compared to the episodes in detail. They are good to have as an alternative to the episodes or for when I have more time to spare.
Ron

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested I found a useful old article http://www.hermit.org/Blakes7/Merchant/Videos/PAL/CompReview.html
I'd like to try transcripts referencing the episodes.

(I notice the lysator site has 'The Beginning' compilation transcript.)
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accepting that certain episodes were chosen for the compilations, they are actaully very good edits of what, I am sure everyone on this forum agrees, is an excellent programme. I have found it so interesting to study every little cut, and to one episode re-ordering, made to dialogue and scenes. My transcripts for Duel, Orac and (The) Aftermath have been added to the lysator website ftp://ftp.lysator.liu.se/pub/blake7/ - the original source of online B7 transcripts. Someone or some team at the BBC put a lot of thought into making what, at the time, it was believed a video release should be - film length. Sometimes only part of a line or a short scene was omitted. They don't deserve to be dismissed as obsolete just because the full episodes were subsequently released and, to me, remain a 'distilled' Blakes 7 alternative.

That feels better, I'll try and make this my last rant about this!
white afro in space

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting viewpoint, Ron, and passionately argued. You make a good case for regarding the compilations as 'stand-alone' units. It almost seems natural to regard the series episodes as more authoritative because of the original broadcast and completeness. Like you say, this needn't be the case. Food for thought. Cheers, Ron!
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching the Duel compilation again. In the Project Avalon bit, the view of the man killed by the purple capsule when he turns into a skeleton is missing. Well it is a bit gruesome . I feel this censoring isn't so bad. Still love watching them and spotting the differences!
Futsie
!PRINT!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I don't think I've seen these compilations but I wonder if they'd be a good thing to "convert" someone who's never seen B7 before...?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one 'The Beginning' would be a pretty good introduction with lots of the action scenes to keep things interesting. It was also recommended by Jackie Speel in her article I linked to (above)!

Apparently the compilation edits were done (very well) by Susan Thorne, a producer/editor at the BBC (who IMDB tell me was, among many things, vision mixer for Survivors)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes 7 Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: