Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Worst Episode Season One

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes 7 Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Worst EpisodeSeason One
The Way Back
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Space Fall
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cygnus Alpha
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
Time Squad
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
The Web
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Seek-Locate-Destroy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mission To Destiny
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Duel
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Project Avalon
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Breakdown
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bounty
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Deliverance
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Orac
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Worst Episode Season One Reply with quote

When the voting for all four seasons is done, the prime stinkers will meet in a final show down!!
Gemma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm voting for Duel, because while it contained Mutoids and some great Avon-Blake moments, the pseudo-mystical aspects of the episode put me off. With a bit of science thrown in, I would've rated this one more highly, but the spooky plot devices? Come on, they could at least have uncovered a technical explanation so that Avon could be cynical at the end. Instead we get that weird Blake-Gan-Vila conversation that makes no sense at all. "Of course. You never saw her." Yes he did! What?

Mutoids ++
Travis ++
A-B ++

But bizarre mystical plot devices? ------------------

That said, I still think that no series one episode is worse than Sarcophagus.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Shouty. I'm not naming the episode because it's HIM that's the problem. Can't even enjoy him as kitsch. He's beyond so-bad-it's-good
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

white afro in space wrote:
Mr Shouty. I'm not naming the episode because it's HIM that's the problem. Can't even enjoy him as kitsch. He's beyond so-bad-it's-good

But he is a GOOOOOOOOOODDDD!!!
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be Timesquad for me. It's just so utterly DULL!

Bounty has those stupid Turkish Delight pirates, but has promise. And anything with TP McKenna in it - with the possible exception of that Who story - is wortyh watching. The interplay between the crew saves Breakdown and then there's Julian Glover. Finally, for all it's daftness, I rather enjoy Deliverance.

But Timesquad? Yes, the bits with Cally are good, but that's about it. The Findus Fiends are pathetic and it's just all so dull that I'll never watch it again. Ever.
Gemma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timesquad probably works best if you just edit out the on-the-ship bits during the mission. Get rid of Gan gurning and the moustached bondage guys and it's a good all-rounder.

Of course, some would be sad to lose Jenna's vulcan hip-kick.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTD - Avon`s `so called` fight with Sara is hilarious!
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTD got my vote as the worst.

Now its true Avon is good in this one, but everything else about it is awful. The set design and costume design are the least imaginative in the show's history. I'd rather have something experimental and a bit mad like the Killer design than the tedium on show in Mission.

The characters are all extremely bland.Sara's not remotely convincing as a villainess and the male characters are all interchagable.

And why does everyone make such a big thing out of the 'I really rather enjoyed that line?'. It's not the big 'politically incorrect, ooohh the PC Brigade would have a fit over that' thing everyone claims - its clearly meant as a joke for god's sake!!

And while I'm at it, it doesn't help Avon's credibility that he's nearly beaten up by a girl who looks like Katy Manning's little sister!!
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was a big girls blouse (AVON) v a slight little blonde!
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if the middle of 'Cygnus Alpha' had been done more seriously it would be better.
dave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a tough choice this one - I easily find this the most up and down season and I agree with many points made.

*) I used to have a dislike to Cygnus Alpha, especially as it broke the wonderful thread started by the first two episodes, but in hindsight its not too bad and I now rate it one of the better episodes of the season, well maybe somewhere in the middle.

*) Time Squad as said is very boring but the Cally scenes are good.

*) The Web is a bit tedious but has its moments.

*) Mission to Destiny was ok the first time through, but subsequent viewings become painful given you know who dunnit. And the predictability of the Liberator having to turn around when they realise they don't have the glowstick is ... oh forget it !

*) Breakdown. The scenes of Gan in pain and Cally letting him loose are boring and stupid in that order. In fact much of the first half of this episode is just boring and stupid. But once they arrive at XK72 it gets good. Indeed when you see Avon negotiating with the station to stay there its our first real glimpse into what he is like.

*) Bounty - A good idea that was executed rather poorly. A little dull but has its moments.

No, my mind is made up - I just remembered the scene with Gan pointing out his limiter. Time Squad it is.
inge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to tie this one betwwen Cynus Alpha and the Web.
hobgoblin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone else, I agree that Cygnus Alpha spoils the flow of the early episodes, though the scenes exploringhte Liberator weregreat fun (wish they were extended. I suppose it is a tradition that every British S. F. show has to have a Brian Blessed guest appearance anyway, so it was good to have it over with quickly. It could have been more painful.)

I disagree with Dave in that I think Series 1 is the msot consistent though there are some weaknesses, such as Vila simply not being particulalry amusing inthe early episodes.

To me, the worst episodes are either Web or Time Squad (though the Cally scenes improve the latter.) I actually though the end of Orac was weak also. The machine is shown to be alittle too powerful, predicting the future, especilaly as this capability is not fully exploited later on. The resolution of the plot line in Redemption that it was actually the sister ship being destroyed furhter weakens the idea on repeat viewings, though as the ship truly is destroyed at a much later date, it is a little ominous. The fact that Travis and Servalan are left alive again also weakens it but I did enjoy the scenes of old Ensor in his wonderful laboratory.
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time Squad suffers because it's clearly one of the episodes Nation wrote towards the end (along with Bounty and Breakdown) when he was running out of ideas.

I wouldn't say Cygnus Alpha breaks the flow - on the contrary, it's a good end to a trilogy. I saw it first as part of The Beginning compilation on VHS and it worked fine as a movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes 7 Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: