Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Episode A6: Seek-Locate-Destroy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valentine
Supreme Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davecabs
Quote:
BLAKESCREWE wrote:
Quote:
At the least ITV would have provided some better quality flares , look at the ones in Space 1999 - a lot better made than B7`S flares ! .

Quote:
You would have got a lot of Martin Landau/Barbara Bain misty-eyed looks between Blake and Jenna.

Jenna: "Oh Blake don't go down to that horrible planet."
Blake: "Don't worry, Jenna, just need to go and get the antidote, you stay here and put the kettle on. Back in a jiffy.

"Well now," - That really, is a REVOLTING THOUGHT to think about - which, proves MONEY isn't everything, is it??? EXECPT for when it comes to better SFX!!!

"Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

ENIGMATIC "" COUSIN
callyfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the DVD extras it has a deleted scene where Vila kills his first guard.
Davecabs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

callyfan wrote:

It was nice to see that clip - shame it was cut presumably for reasons of timing. Vila so rarely got to do anything heroic!
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davecabs wrote:
callyfan wrote:

It was nice to see that clip - shame it was cut presumably for reasons of timing. Vila so rarely got to do anything heroic!

It was cut because at one point during the build-up to the scene they caught a bad reflection of something. These days, they take that out in post-production, but that option wasn't avaialble.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Janov Seldon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel it's a good thing that they did cut it, because although Vila did have a rarely seen darker, callous edge, he simply wasn't a killer - look at the horror he displays after stabbing that gadgy in Cygnus Alpha.
thunda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pretty good episode,a bit overrated,but still good.Some things I noticed:

Federation security is pretty bad.

Apparentlt the Federation does have scruples,they draw the line at killing civilians.

The interrogation unit has a very odd way of transporting prisoners,dragging Cally on the floor by her feet?

The robot might have looked better if they could have made it look like it was hovering.

Travis has a very,very small gun.
pna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched this last week.

Did anyone think it odd that whilst the gate to the site had a sophisticated voice recognition system, the control panel to the gate's lock didn't have any form of protection - not even a padlock.

I liked the writing around the part where the President's men were talking to Servalan questioning her decision to use Travis, and when she insisted, they effectively said she would have to take full responsibility herself. You would think that being the 'Supreme Commander' they would support her, but it appears its every one for themself - much like today.

I thought it odd that Blakes people didn't bother to make their 'prisoners' lie down or at least tie them up!

I thought that Cally's fight scene was very good.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pna wrote:

Yeah, I never really gave it much credit before but Cally really 'anticipates' her opponent's moves alarmingly well
thunda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

white afro in space wrote:
pna wrote:

Yeah, I never really gave it much credit before but Cally really 'anticipates' her opponent's moves alarmingly well

And how she softly touches a few key nerves,easily rendering the guard unconscious.
white afro in space

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunda wrote:
And how she softly touches a few key nerves,easily rendering the guard unconscious.

BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis was very stupid in this episode - just how did Servalan think he was the best in the service ? Fancy not remembering that old `I GOT THERE BEFORE YOU TRICK` that Blake pulled on him at the end - HE SHOULD HAVE GOT THE BOOT soon after !
thunda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
Travis was very stupid in this episode - just how did Servalan think he was the best in the service ? Fancy not remembering that old `I GOT THERE BEFORE YOU TRICK` that Blake pulled on him at the end - HE SHOULD HAVE GOT THE BOOT soon after !

And replaced with Jarvik?
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A terrific episode especially for Grief who's peformance shows why they should never have tried to replace him with Croucher (or anyone else for that matter). He's sinister, obsessed, grimy and fascinating. In fact all the best scenes are those with him in them and you could almost forget the programme is meant to be about Blake.

It's also an interesting indication of the attitudes to disability in SF and Nation's in particular. He had already given crippled mad scientists like Davros and Saymon. Here he presents us with a villain who's disability isn't just used as an 'indication' of their evil but a cause of it. Of course this kind of thing isn't limitited to Nation (though it's significant that in The Dalek Invasion of Earth, the wheelchair bound Dortmun is a useless leader who is killed and replaced, just as Davros is in Genesis) and it occurs throughout both Blake and Doctor Who (Magnus Greel, the Borad, the Pirate Captain, El Akir to name but a few).

The most extreme example was Wyndham's Day of the Triffids where the blind are as much a threat as the walking plants and are presented as a threat to mankind's survival. (personally I think Wyndham was overly simplistic. It's quite possible that the blind would simply adapt and with the numbers on their side, would replace the sighted)

If Blake's 7 were made today would such attitudes persist? I think it's quite possible. Part of the loathsome Daily Mail's campaign against Cronenberg's addaption of 'Crash' was their 'disgust' that that main character had - gasp! - had sex with a crippled girl.
Richard1978

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This episode shows why most Federation troopers have those gaskmask like attachments to their helmets.

It's a bit daft that the lock Vila picks has a panel that just opens so you can fiddle with the workings.
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The action scenes while breaking into the base are great. Director Vere Lorrimers use of close-ups (as mentioned on the commentary track) is a factor, but it's also Terry Nation's skilled screenplay, like telling Vila and Cally when to peer round the doors, that creates much of the suspense; and it's all brilliantly executed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Episode Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: